U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region of the country has influenced the culture of America the most?
New England 4 8.89%
Mid Atlantic States 14 31.11%
Southeast 8 17.78%
Midwest 8 17.78%
Intermountain West 0 0%
Desert Southwest 1 2.22%
Pacific Northwest 0 0%
California 10 22.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 07:11 AM

10,790 posts, read 9,432,166 times

Advertisements

Okay, see the poll earlier about the South defining our culture. Since many disagreed with me that the South has played the largest role, let's find out which region has had the biggest influence (in the minds of CD folks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 07:18 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,568,120 times
There should be a choice for no one region has "defined" american culture. No one region has really defined american culture. Virginia and the south had a great deal with the founding of america with the constitution and Washington and Jefferson but so did New England and Boston. The west and midwest have been enormously influential in american life.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:20 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,021,499 times
I think you should have added the option of "All". None of us are in a position to determine "most", as most of us have a bias, and we all think we're right. Try arguing with someone, that their region hasn't contributed the "most", and see how that goes. Oh yeah, we already saw how that went, in the other thread.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:27 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
I don't think any particular reason is dominant. I voted Southeast because I'm a homer. Instead, all the regions tend to contribute to this weird, very cool country.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:38 AM

970 posts, read 1,641,541 times
I don't see the Sumerian region listed.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't think any particular reason is dominant. I voted Southeast because I'm a homer. Instead, all the regions tend to contribute to this weird, very cool country.
You homer. Yes, all regions contribute...that's why I'm not voting. Love your honesty, though.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:01 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,642,189 times
I'm not going to vote either. I think the largest cultural contributing region has changed over time. For most of American history I would say it was the mid Atlantic. Right now California is the largest cultural contributor and has been for a few decades. The south has contributed a lot, but I don't know if it was ever the dominant cultural region. The west outside of California has historically been too isolated and low population to be as culturally significant. The Midwest hasn't been as culturally significant as well. I'm not saying those places don't add to our culture, they sure do, but they don't effect the nation like the other regions.

Id rank the mid Atlantic, the South, and California all closely. The south has had the largest influence on music, followed by food. But really, I was reading through that other thread and there was a lot of foods listed from the south I have never heard of or eaten. Things like grits, junbalaya, gumbo are all still very regional. I don't even know what the second two are and grits are disgusting, lol. Cornbread and fried chicken are good.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm not going to vote either. I think the largest cultural contributing region has changed over time. For most of American history I would say it was the mid Atlantic. Right now California is the largest cultural contributor and has been for a few decades. The south has contributed a lot, but I don't know if it was ever the dominant cultural region. The west outside of California has historically been too isolated and low population to be as culturally significant. The Midwest hasn't been as culturally significant as well. I'm not saying those places don't add to our culture, they sure do, but they don't effect the nation like the other regions.

Id rank the mid Atlantic, the South, and California all closely. The south has had the largest influence on music, followed by food. But really, I was reading through that other thread and there was a lot of foods listed from the south I have never heard of or eaten. Things like grits, junbalaya, gumbo are all still very regional. I don't even know what the second two are and grits are disgusting, lol. Cornbread and fried chicken are good.
Well, people on this forum seem to like skyscrapers, and they come from the Midwest. So, there's that.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,124,951 times
OP, I see you don't understand what the poll in your other thread was telling you.

One region doesn't define the entire country. Do you understand why this is?

The answer to your question is all regions. Also, why is California its own option? You couldn't just group it with the West or the West coast?

Old 10-02-2016, 10:52 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,513,232 times
the Midwest gave us our standard accent. Probably Americans most defining feature.

Too many options in the poll, so makes it hard to choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or