U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2016, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,816 posts, read 9,443,293 times
Reputation: 6177

Advertisements

Mississippi is pretty much all loblolly pine forests, if you've ever driven through it you know what I mean. Also very few urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2016, 10:43 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,138 posts, read 9,917,638 times
Reputation: 6424
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
What States do you feel has the most forest per acreage and the less urban development in the Continental United States?
This website shows the states in order of most forest cover by percentage. Keep in mind however that it sometimes undercounts some states because it ranks them by timberland rather then by forest cover. My state for instance really is 63 forested rather then the 50.9% listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest..._United_States

Maine 85.8%
New Hampshire 78.4%
West Virginia: 77.2%
Vermont: 75.7%
Alabama: 70.6%
Georgia: 64.2%
South Carolina: 63.8%
Mississippi: 61.9%
Virginia: 60.7%
North Carolina: 59.9%
Pennsylvania: 55.3%
Arkansas: 55.1%
Connecticut: 54.7%
Tennessee: 52.9%
Massachusetts: 52.5%
Michigan: 51.2%
New York: 50.9%
Rhode Island: 50.8%
Louisiana: 49.2%
Kentucky: 48.6%
Wisconsin: 45.2%
Florida: 42.4%
Washington: 40.7%
New Jersey: 39.5%
Oregon: 38.8%
Maryland: 37.9%
Idaho: 31.8%
Missouri: 30.3%
Delaware: 30.0%
Minnesota: 28.9%
Ohio: 28.9%
Montana: 20.6%
Indiana: 18.9%
California: 17.8%
Colorado: 17.5%
Hawaii: 17.0%
Oklahoma: 14.2%
Illinois: 11.5%
Wyoming: 9.2%
Utah: 8.9%
Texas: 7.0%
New Mexico: 5.6%
Iowa: 5.4%
Arizona: 4.8%
Alaska: 3.3%
South Dakota: 3.1%
Kansas: 2.8%
Nebraska: 1.8%
North Dakota: 1.0%
Nevada: 0.5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Massachusetts is among the most forested, but also among the most developed urban/suburban-wise
Forestation and urbanization are not necessary mutually exclusive realities in the East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2016, 11:58 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This website shows the states in order of most forest cover by percentage. Keep in mind however that it sometimes undercounts some states because it ranks them by timberland rather then by forest cover. My state for instance really is 63 forested rather then the 50.9% listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest..._United_States

Maine 85.8%
New Hampshire 78.4%
West Virginia: 77.2%
Vermont: 75.7%
Alabama: 70.6%
Georgia: 64.2%
South Carolina: 63.8%
Mississippi: 61.9%
Virginia: 60.7%
North Carolina: 59.9%
Pennsylvania: 55.3%
Arkansas: 55.1%
Connecticut: 54.7%
Tennessee: 52.9%
Massachusetts: 52.5%
Michigan: 51.2%
New York: 50.9%
Rhode Island: 50.8%
Louisiana: 49.2%
Kentucky: 48.6%
Wisconsin: 45.2%
Florida: 42.4%
Washington: 40.7%

New Jersey: 39.5%
Oregon: 38.8%
Maryland: 37.9%
Idaho: 31.8%
Missouri: 30.3%
Delaware: 30.0%
Minnesota: 28.9%
Ohio: 28.9%
Montana: 20.6%
Indiana: 18.9%
California: 17.8%
Colorado: 17.5%
Hawaii: 17.0%
Oklahoma: 14.2%
Illinois: 11.5%
Wyoming: 9.2%
Utah: 8.9%
Texas: 7.0%
New Mexico: 5.6%
Iowa: 5.4%
Arizona: 4.8%
Alaska: 3.3%
South Dakota: 3.1%
Kansas: 2.8%
Nebraska: 1.8%
North Dakota: 1.0%
Nevada: 0.5%
I'll bet that the highlighted juxtaposition above would surprise a lot of people who are not in the know about the geography of these two states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Reputation: 10928
I see Forested land everywhere in Tennessee. Really the eastern US in general outside of the urbanized areas is extremely wooded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,816 posts, read 9,443,293 times
Reputation: 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

I'd guess the big winner is likely Alaska just based on sheer size.
Most of northern Alaska is tundra, no trees whatsoever as evidenced by the low percentage above. There are no trees in Nome or Prudhoe Bay for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
10,816 posts, read 9,443,293 times
Reputation: 6177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'll bet that the highlighted juxtaposition above would surprise a lot of people who are not in the know about the geography of these two states.
Most of eastern Washington is range land, very few trees. Most of northern and central Florida is forested. There are large marshland areas but even the Everglades has plenty of trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,651,369 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This website shows the states in order of most forest cover by percentage. Keep in mind however that it sometimes undercounts some states because it ranks them by timberland rather then by forest cover. My state for instance really is 63 forested rather then the 50.9% listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest..._United_States

Maine 85.8%
New Hampshire 78.4%
West Virginia: 77.2%
Vermont: 75.7%
Alabama: 70.6%
Georgia: 64.2%
South Carolina: 63.8%
Mississippi: 61.9%
Virginia: 60.7%
North Carolina: 59.9%
Pennsylvania: 55.3%
Arkansas: 55.1%
Connecticut: 54.7%
Tennessee: 52.9%
Massachusetts: 52.5%
Michigan: 51.2%
New York: 50.9%
Rhode Island: 50.8%
Louisiana: 49.2%
Kentucky: 48.6%
Wisconsin: 45.2%
Florida: 42.4%
Washington: 40.7%
New Jersey: 39.5%
Oregon: 38.8%
Maryland: 37.9%
Idaho: 31.8%
Missouri: 30.3%
Delaware: 30.0%
Minnesota: 28.9%
Ohio: 28.9%
Montana: 20.6%
Indiana: 18.9%
California: 17.8%
Colorado: 17.5%
Hawaii: 17.0%
Oklahoma: 14.2%
Illinois: 11.5%
Wyoming: 9.2%
Utah: 8.9%
Texas: 7.0%
New Mexico: 5.6%
Iowa: 5.4%
Arizona: 4.8%
Alaska: 3.3%
South Dakota: 3.1%
Kansas: 2.8%
Nebraska: 1.8%
North Dakota: 1.0%
Nevada: 0.5%
Not surprised Nevada is last in the slightest. That place is more deserted than... most deserts

However I am kinda surprised that the Plains states do so poorly here. I know plains aren't technically supposed to have trees but the Plains states should be able to foster better environments than Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and even Alaska for trees. I mean except for tornadoes, but they aren't that common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Floribama
15,041 posts, read 31,425,067 times
Reputation: 13843
I suspect WV may have the most true forests, and by "true forest" I don't mean pine plantations planted by timber companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM
 
Location: San Diego
35,250 posts, read 32,206,769 times
Reputation: 19787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Not surprised Nevada is last in the slightest. That place is more deserted than... most deserts

However I am kinda surprised that the Plains states do so poorly here. I know plains aren't technically supposed to have trees but the Plains states should be able to foster better environments than Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and even Alaska for trees. I mean except for tornadoes, but they aren't that common.
Trees do will if planted on the plains. It is rather odd that there aren't more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top