U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:52 AM

11 posts, read 95,539 times

Advertisements

Simple request for suggestions for specific spots where I can start looking. Preferably in a mountainous region, somewhere cooler, less humid year round. I'm going to write in this dwelling, walk nearby trails, or make my own trails. Watch my 14 year old Black Lab enter his final years...., yeah, I know.

Based on Kiplinger (https://goo.gl/UnECzv), the most tax-friendly states are AZ, NV, GA, FLA, WY and SD.
Please recommend a place to purchase a year round cabin in a park-like or forested environment in a retiree tax-friendly state. Want to stay under $125K. No condo fees, maybe small HOA fees that covers trash, other basics. At least 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths.

I'm going to use this property as a writing spot for a few years. So not too much lake noise for me. Soon I'll look to buy another spot in the next 5 years that'll become my warm(er) place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 11:56 AM

604 posts, read 352,038 times
I suggest you include New Hampshire in your search. It has no income tax (except on investment income) and while the cost-of-living might be somewhat higher than the states you've listed, but I think you're likely to find the environment that you're looking for. In general, the central part of the state is less expensive than the southern part. The northern part is going to be colder.

I would also point out that Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income, and also would have the environment that you're seeking.

Last edited by Robert137; 10-03-2016 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 10-04-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert137 View Post
I suggest you include New Hampshire in your search. It has no income tax (except on investment income) and while the cost-of-living might be somewhat higher than the states you've listed, but I think you're likely to find the environment that you're looking for. In general, the central part of the state is less expensive than the southern part. The northern part is going to be colder.

I would also point out that Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income, and also would have the environment that you're seeking.
Appreciate the suggestions!
I used to live in KoP, PA back in the '90s for a short spell. I like the idea of NH. I've previously spent over 8 years in WI, so cold is cool.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:47 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,445,193 times
Check out the Black Hills. Your budget might be a stretch, but you might find something affordable.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:53 PM

8,802 posts, read 4,718,281 times
Don't mind Summer traffic with no income or sales tax can look into the area of Conway NH

Old 10-04-2016, 06:13 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,663,351 times
maybe Flagstaff,Arizona but idk how the real estate would be but it is in a tax friendly state.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:26 PM

18,088 posts, read 22,943,598 times
As far as I know, CA is tax-friendly to retirees, believe it or not. And there are other great benefits if you are low-income, like Medi-Cal.

Look around Redding, CA. Redding has good entertainment and shopping, so you could go into town for civilized activities. Outside of town, there are a lot of pro-marijuana folk, but it's mainly Republican and pro-gun, too, in that area, if that sounds good to you.

I'm Democrat, but get along with Republicans and I liked that area. The only reason I moved away (after living there for a year) is because it's too hot for me. If you can take really hot temps for half the year, you might like it. The winters might include snow, but the winters are not severe.

Look at listings in Shasta County, Ca.

Shasta County, CA Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

If the weather wasn't so hot, I would have stayed forever. It's otherwise a nice area. Very pretty, good air quality, and good healthcare, shopping, entertainment, etc., in Redding.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If the weather wasn't so hot, I would have stayed forever. It's otherwise a nice area. Very pretty, good air quality, and good healthcare, shopping, entertainment, etc., in Redding.
Thanks for suggesting Redding!
I lived in Tempe, AZ for a short while, heat I can handle. But where I've lived these past dozen years we have dew points over 70 for way too many months for my comfort level now. It's worsened gradually, too.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:11 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Check out Morgantown WV. It's a progressive small city with a low cost of living, lots of outdoor recreational opportunity and plenty of amenities including cultural events at WVU and quality healthcare at WVU's Medical Center

Downtown Morgantown & the Historic Wharf District - Main Street Morgantown
Home | About | West Virginia University

Old 10-05-2016, 03:39 PM

135 posts, read 94,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Morgantown WV. It's a progressive small city with a low cost of living, lots of outdoor recreational opportunity and plenty of amenities including cultural events at WVU and quality healthcare at WVU's Medical Center

Downtown Morgantown & the Historic Wharf District - Main Street Morgantown
Home | About | West Virginia University
OP is looking for a place that is quiet and conducive to their writing. I don't think Morgantown would fit the bill since it has a large college in town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or