U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the strongest dividing line?
New Jersey 1 2.56%
Virginia 4 10.26%
California 11 28.21%
New York 6 15.38%
Florida 5 12.82%
Michigan 1 2.56%
Maryland 1 2.56%
Illinois 2 5.13%
Other 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:13 PM

159 posts, read 168,427 times

Advertisements

Which state can you break in to two sections in terms of it's culture? As in a state that's basically two states in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 02:28 PM

158 posts, read 112,332 times
Washington State West/East. Eastern WA is much more inline with Idaho in terms of culture. Every so often there are rumbles of separating because Eastern WA gets looped in to 'Seattle' version of WA culture. Yes there are other regions too and more rural areas on the west also get annoyed with Seattle, but that can be true of many states urban/rural divide. The West/East is much more pronounced because even in the 'urban' areas of the east it is much more inline with its rural neighbors.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:16 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,635,825 times
Nevada. Northern and Southern Nevada are nothing alike.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:32 PM

159 posts, read 168,427 times
just to be clear I meant to say dividing.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:54 PM

93 posts, read 55,063 times
Illinois: Chicagoland and the rest of the state XD

Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
I can't decide between New Jersey, New York, California, or Florida

All of these have an extremely distinct North/South split

Except with New Jersey the line that divides the two is not always very clear

Edit: actually I am going with California. My 2nd place goes to NY tho.

Although there is definitely a huge difference between north and south jersey, the main difference is that one part is Philly suburbs and the other part is NYC suburbs. Otherwise a lot of it still looks and feels similar (not all of it, but a lot of it)

With NY there is the downstate (NYC and Long Island) vs upstate, and that is definitely a huge difference, I am going with California because Northern CA and Southern CA even have completely different climates, on top of all of their other differences! I think that is impressive.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 10-03-2016 at 08:31 PM..

Old 10-03-2016, 08:34 PM

473 posts, read 358,662 times
The California split is not where people think -- NorCal and SoCal are more alike than coastal California vs. inland California.

I'm a strong "no" on New Jersey. NY 'burbs ... Philly 'burbs. It's apples vs. ... another kind of apple.

NY, Illinois and Michigan are pretty obvious ones because of the rural/urban divide. However, their rural parts don't have a lot of sway. The major metro area is pretty dominant.

Therefore, I choose Florida because you do often see conservative northern culture duking it out against more freewheeling South Florida.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:54 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times
For me, it's a toss-up between Oregon and Washington. The Cascades are a blatant boundary between two regions that are obviously very different in terms of culture, economy, and climate. It's hard to say which one deserves the number one spot.

Minnesota is worth discussing. The eastern third of the state is forested, politically liberal, with rocky soil, and the western part of the state is made up of grasslands, politically conservative, and has soil that's ideal for agriculture. The transiton between these two regions is very abrupt. Where the Canadian Shield ends, so do the forests and the blue-state politics.

Pennsylvania is another state to consider. From my impression, everything east of Susquehanna River Valley centers around Philadelphia culturally and has a lot of similarities to New Jersey. The rest of the state looks to Pittsburgh as its cultural capital and doesn't particularly have much in common at all with the cities along the Bos-Wash Corridor.

While different regions of California, Florida, and Texas are quite varied in terms of identity, I don't see a clear, definitive dividing line between regions. Are Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz really all that different?

Old 10-04-2016, 12:27 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,856,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
The California split is not where people think -- NorCal and SoCal are more alike than coastal California vs. inland California.

I'm a strong "no" on New Jersey. NY 'burbs ... Philly 'burbs. It's apples vs. ... another kind of apple.

NY, Illinois and Michigan are pretty obvious ones because of the rural/urban divide. However, their rural parts don't have a lot of sway. The major metro area is pretty dominant.

Therefore, I choose Florida because you do often see conservative northern culture duking it out against more freewheeling South Florida.
The Northern/Southern California split is a big thing with latino gangs in the state, generally split around Delano

Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 AM

627 posts, read 273,388 times
Virginia.

NOVA is entirely different than the rest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or