U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would Toronto place among US cities in terms of significance?
3rd 12 17.91%
4th 20 29.85%
5th 11 16.42%
6th 7 10.45%
7th 7 10.45%
8th 5 7.46%
Other 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 08:01 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,201,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Those who voted 3rd are overwhelmingly Torontonians. mooguy, Mr.Jun, Atticman, ewara, Mr. Burns. You have five people right there.
i voted 4th. where do you see that i voted 3rd?

if you can show me that would be great. i'll be here waiting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Well, if Toronto was part of the United States, it wouldn't be a part of Canada, obviously. A lot of Toronto's pull comes from it being the largest metro, by far, in Canada (which only has three "major cities" by the US definition), especially in English-Speaking Canada.

I would put Toronto in the top ten, but no more important than the much larger metros of New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago, as well as behind the Bay Area and DC/-Baltimore. Toronto's influence, like that of Philadelphia, would also be limited, regionally, because it is in proximately to other major cities, those being Chicago, Detroit, and the entire Northeast Corridor, as well as possibly smaller regional cities that may not be large enough to compete with influence but large enough to resist it. It is a tossup, in my opinion, how Toronto would fare against Boston, DFW, Houston, and Philadelphia, possibly Miami and Atlanta as well.

Really, Toronto's metro isn't that large economically or demographically, ranking around 10 in GDP and 8 in population among US metropolitan areas. Toronto's strength will largely come from its cultural pull, which is significant, but who knows how that would change if Toronto was part of the US, instead of Canada.
I agree with this. I voted 6th but honestly that is even in question. If 125 years ago Toronto (and maybe the part of Ontario down to Windsor) lets say we're annexed into America, but the rest of Canada stayed the same, things would have turned out drastically different for the Toronto area. Toronto would have essentially become a part of the American Rust Belt, a part of the United States that is not actually booming today by any means. It's international influence would have been far less than it is as the premier city of Canada. Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, and Ottawa would have been much stronger in their own respects and had to anchor Canada.

In the States, due to location and logistics, I think Toronto and Chicago would have had a pivotal moment in their history where only one of them would be able to proceed as "King" of its territory. (Think when Atlanta got Hartsfield Jackson Airport built over Birmingham) that further enhanced Atlanta as King of the SE region for the future, maybe if Birmingham gets it the South's history changes. If Toronto ever had to "grow" up in this country like all the other big cities have, it would have had to endure and surpass that major moment in American history where it outshined or took away a major opportunity from another fellow American city. I don't see how along with Detroit, Toronto would have become such a major draw for international culture and influence without having to duke it out with Chicago in the Midwest. And according to American history, there is nothing that tells us Chicago wasn't destined to be the "second city" at some point in its lifetime.

I'm certain if having to "grow up" in America, Toronto would at least rank after NY, LA, Chicago, DC, SF. Those five are cemented right now in their American/ Global status. However, the more I think about it, I'm inclined to believe that more cities would rank higher due to their locations and progress. Houston, Dallas, Boston and probably Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Miami would pack enough punch to keep themselves in great position versus Toronto.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-08-2016 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or