U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would Toronto place among US cities in terms of significance?
3rd 12 17.91%
4th 20 29.85%
5th 11 16.42%
6th 7 10.45%
7th 7 10.45%
8th 5 7.46%
Other 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:36 PM

150 posts, read 146,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Toronto is overestimated here. But someone else did make a good point. If Toronto was part of the US, how much of the rest of Canada would be as well? I was going on the idea of just Southern Canada being part of the US, excluding the area around Ottawa. If all of Ontario was part of the US, however, I would say Toronto is solidly within the top 8, possibly higher, instead of the top 10,since it would have a larger region of influence.

Also, while diversity is nice, it doesn't really have to do with being world class or important, just look as Tokyo or Seoul, important cities which are interesting but also very homogenous.

Toronto, assuming only southern Ontario bar Ottawa region is part of the US, would probably rank after Boston, DFW, Houston, and Philadelphia. Toronto isn't as large as many Americans think it is and, truth is, many American cities are larger than many Americans think they are.
If you take the Toronto metro based on the way America defines a metro it would have over 8 million people...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horseshoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:03 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,317,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh it definitely is. We have lots of techies from Toronto who moved here to work in the industry.
I find it hard to believe that SF is not talked about at all. I feel like California is talked about everywhere, and SF and LA are the 2 main cities in California.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:11 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,602,940 times
Quote:
Oh it definitely is. We have lots of techies from Toronto who moved here to work in the industry.

And there are lots of people in the TV and movie industry in LA who talk about Toronto.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:18 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,602,940 times
Quote:
Once again, Toronto is an economic lightweight compared to every top 12 US CSA except Detroit so idk.
Chicago has a higher GDP than London, so I guess London is inferior to Chicago, then.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:31 PM

32,405 posts, read 55,267,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
And there are lots of people in the TV and movie industry in LA who talk about Toronto.
No more than Atlanta, New Orleans, Vancouver or any of the other cheap places where production happens.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM

32,405 posts, read 55,267,399 times
Quote:
Chicago has a higher GDP than London, so I guess London is inferior to Chicago, then.
As far as GDP yes. London is perhaps the most overrated city on earth. I blame the endless desperate UK-based city ranking for puffing up London. It's a cool city but not nearly as important online people think.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:50 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,263,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
If you take the Toronto metro based on the way America defines a metro it would have over 8 million people...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horseshoe
Do you have any sources showing how metros are defined in Canada? I've seen this said a couple of times here but no one has given a definition. I was under the belief that the Golden Horseshoe was more more along the lines of a CSA, or something between MSA and CSA, with Toronto's metro being more about 6 million residents.

Looking at it now, seems I overestimated the size of Boston. Though, I combined the Bay Area.

Quote:
London has the benefit of being the capital and primate city of a major power and is somewhat unique in being a global financial center without competition, besides New York.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:01 PM

12,714 posts, read 8,792,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I find it hard to believe that SF is not talked about at all. I feel like California is talked about everywhere, and SF and LA are the 2 main cities in California.
In Vancouver where it's only an 18 hour drive to S.F. it is better known. My feeling from friends and having visited Toronto several times is that California is mostly sun and Hollywood for those who haven't been. They know of course L.A. and S.F. but it's not on the radar like places in Florida, New York, Montreal are for them.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:14 PM

150 posts, read 146,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Do you have any sources showing how metros are defined in Canada? I've seen this said a couple of times here but no one has given a definition. I was under the belief that the Golden Horseshoe was more more along the lines of a CSA, or something between MSA and CSA, with Toronto's metro being more about 6 million residents.
It got really confusing in Canada and the province of Ontario after 1998, but basically you need to be continuously adjacent with a lower-tier municipality of at least 100,000. If you are a single-tier municipality you cannot be included, hence why a large city like Hamilton is not included in the Toronto census metro-area despite being continuously adjacent with adjoined cities.

In America, that wouldn't be the case. They would just lump in Hamilton the same way that the New York (city) metro lumps in a bunch of Connecticut, Pennsylvania, etc, despite being under different jurisdiction. I mean the New York (city) metro area has more people in it than the entire population of New York (state), for Pete's sake.

So, by American definition, the Toronto metro would essentially be what we in Canada call the "Golden Horseshoe" which had almost 8.8 million people in 2011. I can only imagine it's almost at 9.5 now...

Old 10-05-2016, 05:43 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,317,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
It got really confusing in Canada and the province of Ontario after 1998, but basically you need to be continuously adjacent with a lower-tier municipality of at least 100,000. If you are a single-tier municipality you cannot be included, hence why a large city like Hamilton is not included in the Toronto census metro-area despite being continuously adjacent with adjoined cities.

In America, that wouldn't be the case. They would just lump in Hamilton the same way that the New York (city) metro lumps in a bunch of Connecticut, Pennsylvania, etc, despite being under different jurisdiction. I mean the New York (city) metro area has more people in it than the entire population of New York (state), for Pete's sake.

So, by American definition, the Toronto metro would essentially be what we in Canada call the "Golden Horseshoe" which had almost 8.8 million people in 2011. I can only imagine it's almost at 9.5 now...
The reason NYC metro goes into different States is because NYC is literally right on the NJ border, and also very close to CT and PA. NYC is closer to those States than the majority of NY State. NYC has more in common with those areas than the majority of New York State. State borders don't mean much when talking about metro area for border cities.

Philly does the same thing since it is also on the NJ border, and close to DE. DC is not in a State so its metro area goes into Virginia and Maryland

FYI:
KINGS county = Brooklyn
NEW YORK county = Manhattan
RICHMOND county = Staten Island.
Bronx and Queens are self-explanatory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or