U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would Toronto place among US cities in terms of significance?
3rd 12 17.91%
4th 20 29.85%
5th 11 16.42%
6th 7 10.45%
7th 7 10.45%
8th 5 7.46%
Other 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 AM

22 posts, read 15,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Do you have a crush on me or something ewara? Your obession with me is fascinating.
I love hearing criticism about my city. I come on here to get different perspectives. However, if you look at your post history, it seems all you care about is the very city you continually criticize.
There is no crush. I've asked you repeatedly why you have this fascination with Toronto, yet you never answer. When asked, you said you have no desire to come here. Have you ever lived here?
It is clear that your criticism of Toronto is meant not to be constructive but rather just to bash the city. Is there anyone from Toronto who continually comments on threads about Alexandria or the dmv? I doubt it.
I genuinely want to know what your obsession with my city is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 08:26 AM

22 posts, read 15,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollarstorrrrey View Post
Most of what you say about Toronto is fair though harsh criticism they don't want to hear. Don't worry about what some people say. Toronto has some serious problems ahead of it most of which is brought on by excessive immigration from too many poor countries and a failing economy.
You lost all credibility to me when you said " Toronto is a nice city but it is still not world class. It does not have the diversity (by U.S standards) that most cities have in the the United States. I don't know of any kind of real Hispanic or black community in Toronto either."

and

"...in a country with such a small and mostly rural dwelling population though."

You clearly don't know much about this city or country.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:38 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,256,276 times
Just to help clear this up. Does Canada in any way release data on commuter patterns between municipalities or other second level administrative divisions?

I hope it does, this we can try to apply the US idea of a metro on Toronto and understand its true size.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:18 PM

21,952 posts, read 27,371,773 times
I don't think anyone on here would accuse me of being a blind Toronto booster.

That said, I do happen to think that Toronto and Chicago are similarly-sized cities and metros.

It's widely known among both professionals and armchair city population geeks that US metro populations (especially CSAs) are often on steroids and include huge swaths of land (and therefore population) that most other countries would not include.

In the case of Chicago this includes places that are 140 km or maybe 90 miles from the loop. If you were to do a similar sweep for Toronto it would cover the entire Greater Golden Horseshoe so everything down to the border of the Niagara River with NY state, and also Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Guelph, Barrie, Peterborough, Brantford, etc.

This apples-to-apples comparison would maybe not bring Greater Toronto above Greater Chicago, but certainly it would be in the same general ballpark.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 AM

831 posts, read 934,548 times
Its not all about size or GDP. If that was the case than Chicago would be more important than Paris, Phoenix would be more important than Berlin, and Indianapolis would be more important than Amsterdam.

Yes population and GDP play a part but so do finance, politics, banking, manufacturing, culture, diversity, high tech, an educated workforce, a creative environment, liveability, quality of life, transportation, arts, music, film, and yes international recognition.

This is why I placed Washington 3rd.........it is, by far, the world's most important political centre. In this regard there is no second place. What happens in Washington and the powers that be who reside there effects the planet literally on a daily basis. Can anyone on the planet name the last time they listened to the news and nt heard mention of Washington? I only put L.A. ahead due to it's enormous size and huge cultural impact.

Toronto, if I had to choose, would probably be 5th.......behind SF and ahead of Chicago.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:46 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,703,781 times
haha who in the world voted 3rd...I'd seriously love to hear their reasoning for that.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:23 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,153,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Its not all about size or GDP. If that was the case than Chicago would be more important than Paris,
Paris has a bigger GDP than Chicago.
The only way Paris could have a lower GDP than Chicago is if the euro was worth much less than 1$.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:03 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,447,545 times
Toronto would be the 10th largest metro in the US, just ahead of Boston and behind Atlanta.

Montreal would be the 15th largest. Hard to imagine how such a city could exist in the US of course.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:49 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,110,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
haha who in the world voted 3rd...I'd seriously love to hear their reasoning for that.
Those who voted 3rd are overwhelmingly Torontonians. mooguy, Mr.Jun, Atticman, ewara, Mr. Burns. You have five people right there.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:50 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,355,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Those who voted 3rd are overwhelmingly Torontonians. mooguy, Mr.Jun, Atticman, ewara, Mr. Burns. You have five people right there.
And how exactly do you know this? Stop making assumptions and then trying to pass them off as truth! You think you know everything, but it's obvious you don't.
I voted for 4th place by the way, so don't spread lies that I voted for 3rd like you did with these other guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or