U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would Toronto place among US cities in terms of significance?
3rd 12 17.91%
4th 20 29.85%
5th 11 16.42%
6th 7 10.45%
7th 7 10.45%
8th 5 7.46%
Other 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 04:55 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,596,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Those who voted 3rd are overwhelmingly Torontonians. mooguy, Mr.Jun, Atticman, ewara, Mr. Burns. You have five people right there.
I voted 4th. You know nothing, manitopiaaa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 05:12 PM

97 posts, read 60,219 times
If allowed to, I wonder how Americans here might recast their votes after watching the following 45-minute televised documentary about the subject's dirty secret:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post

Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,504,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
If the Greater Toronto Area were to literally just become an independent city state of the US overnight and kept everything the exact same except for the Canadian flags turning into American flags, it would be considered one of the best cities in the entire world by people on this forum.

You'd all talk about how balanced, safe, thriving, cosmopolitan, sophisticated, interesting, etc, etc, it was.

Instead -- it's Canadian so it's interest is diminished and accomplishments **** on. No matter what Toronto does it always has to be "rounded down" by City-Data members to make sure that it always and no matter what must fall behind Chicago, DC, San Fran, Boston, Miami, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Philly and all 5 NYC boroughs.
So true it's not funny.

All of a sudden Toronto would be praised as being the best thing since sliced bread.
All of a sudden an economic powerhouse.

Instead it's usually considered to be a third rate backwater, somewhere between Seattle and Cleveland.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:08 PM
BMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Toronto's gdp of $287 Billion would rank 12th among US CSAs in between Miami and Detroit.
No, wrong !

It's 100th just below Albuquerque.

I'm surprised you didn't know that Montclair!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:11 PM
BMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Your link says this:
Visible minority population refers to the visible minority group to which the respondent belongs. The Employment Equity Act defines visible minorities as 'persons, other than Aboriginal peoples, who are non-Caucasian in race or non-white in colour.' Categories in the visible minority population variable include Chinese, South Asian, Black, Filipino, Latin American, Southeast Asian, Arab, West Asian, Korean, Japanese, Visible minority, n.i.e. ('n.i.e.' means 'not included elsewhere'), Multiple visible minority, and Not a visible minority.

Its what we call people that are NOT Non-Hispanic White.

So lets take a look at Toronto compared to US cities based on what we know.

1. We know that the Toronto CMA is about half white by US standards-this places it in the middle of the pack among the major US statistical areas.

2. We know that the Toronto CMA( 6 million pop) has the 2nd lowest GDP only slightly larger than Detroit but smaller than Miami( and Seattle for that matter)

3. We know that Toronto's air travel statistics place it well behind NY, LA, Chicago, SF, DC, Dallas, Atlanta as far as passengers.

4. We know that Toronto does not dominate any industry in such a way that it can compete with much less surpass a US counterpart.

And so forth, these are what's come to mind right now.

In short, Toronto is a very big fish in Canada but versus US cities really falls short as far as 'rankings' go.
Yes. All true.

All bow down to mighty SFO.....oh great wonder of all power.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:15 PM
BMI

Quote:
Those who voted 3rd are overwhelmingly Torontonians. mooguy, Mr.Jun, Atticman, ewara, Mr. Burns. You have five people right there.
Not Mr Burns ....he voted 4th.

Homer Simpson voted 3rd.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:28 PM

1,229 posts, read 975,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
So true it's not funny.

All of a sudden Toronto would be praised as being the best thing since sliced bread.
All of a sudden an economic powerhouse.

Instead it's usually considered to be a third rate backwater, somewhere between Seattle and Cleveland.
Personally I prefer every city below over Toronto but whatever. I don't see the Toronto hate you Canadians are whining about.

Washington D.C. vs. Toronto
Toronto vs Houston
Toronto VS Miami

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-07-2016 at 07:41 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 07:44 PM

615 posts, read 373,299 times
Actually I haven't voted on this yet, though I would vote third, mainly because Toronto would be the third largest city in the US, and that it's closest rival Chicago is either shrinking or flat for growth, and the gap between the two cities is only widening.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:21 PM

831 posts, read 933,817 times
Quote:
Don't make statement you have absolutely no idea about, the polls are private.
Just to reinforce......A} I don't even live in Ontario little alone Toronto. B} I voted fifth as my order would be NY/LA/WASH/SF/TOR/CHI

Old 10-08-2016, 07:52 AM

4,261 posts, read 5,481,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Don't make statement you have absolutely no idea about, the polls are private.
Just to reinforce......A} I don't even live in Ontario little alone Toronto. B} I voted fifth as my order would be NY/LA/WASH/SF/TOR/CHI
There's no way Toronto would be considered more important than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or