U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is Hipster Central?
Asheville NC 3 3.90%
Portland OR 45 58.44%
Austin Texas 3 3.90%
Williamsburg (Brooklyn) 18 23.38%
Other 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,630,949 times

Advertisements

I don't mind the dark bars, craft beers, and alternative bands but yeah I really can't stand most hipsters I just want to punch them. I don't see hippies as being the same thing but they can be annoying too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 PM

473 posts, read 359,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've never visited Boulder, but I've been in Bay Area a lot recently. San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland all strike me as places that definitely have some degree of hipster vibe, along with some actual hipsters. But the area is now too expensive to attract very many new ones, unless they're the tech variety. Especially in San Francisco. Folks there also complain about a swift rise in Oakland rents and home prices. So it seems that the hipster pipeline just isn't being replenished in the Bay Area. Sort of the same argument made above about Williamsburg.
I see your point, but the last movie I saw in Oakland was in a theater where we all sat on bean bags. I entertain my kids by taking them to cafes where they can pet cats. My good friend left her job to become a doula. You'll see moms and grannies with blue hair and Converse. You have to relearn how to throw out your trash (because composting!) and plastic bags are effectively banned in the county.

The only place that comes close to this level of ridiculousness is Boulder.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:40 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't mind the dark bars, craft beers, and alternative bands but yeah I really can't stand most hipsters I just want to punch them. I don't see hippies as being the same thing but they can be annoying too.
I agree. I like a lot of things ASSOCIATED as "hipstery," but I can't stand most hipsters. Namely the holier than thou vegan types. I have friends that insist I am a hipster... umm nope. Hipsters happen to steal sh*t from other subcultures and then turn it into crap.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:39 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,146 posts, read 3,435,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
I see your point, but the last movie I saw in Oakland was in a theater where we all sat on bean bags.

The only place that comes close to this level of ridiculousness is Boulder.
Oakland is like Youngstown, Ohio for hipsters compared to the Mission and SOMA west of 3rd St. Never mind composting, if you dare walk into Sightglass Coffee and ask for a drink that has fewer than five adjectives to describe the milk being mixed in, it's just assumed you're a Trump-loving racist.

And if you don't have a rubber band around your beard, that's only ok if you're a transgendered dog.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:17 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,602,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I see you're from NYC

Don't you think Williamsburg has gotten way less hipster in recent years? Rents are continuing to climb to Manhattan-level prices (especially around the Bedford L) and it is becoming very corporate as many chains are moving in there (including a whole foods and Apple Store very recently). Not to mention that it is getting a lot of national and international attention, making it too mainstream for hipsters, lol.

I would argue that Bushwick is the new hipster capital of Brooklyn now.
I came here just to post the same thing, lol. I would definitely say Bushwick is the hipster capital of Brooklyn now.

However, hipsters definitely hang out in Williamsburg (as well as Lower Manhattan) still.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:56 AM

566 posts, read 565,498 times
Tacoma, but not stereotypical what hipster has turned in to. Grungy, artistic, laid back weirdos, with street smarts is more like it. Not sure if there is a word for that.
Plenty of coffee though!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So what is the hipster capital of the US, at least among well-known cities? Where would you live if that life-style was your be-all and end-all? Or conversely, which of these cities would you avoid if the thought of living among coffee shops with free alternative newspapers, grown men on skate boards, organic food festivals, and dark bars serving craft beer to audiences listening to unknown alt rock bands, makes your skin crawl?
...vegan cafes, thai restaurants, and $1000+/mo loft apartments. Though we don't have alt rock bands, more the occasional hipster guitarist. The coffee shop fad ended awhile ago and has been replaced by cookie cutter craft beer bars that serve expensive bites on big plates. Pittsburgh.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:38 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,688,776 times
I wonder how many people here voted through personal experience in these cities or just hearsay from what they have been told.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:36 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,312,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wonder how many people here voted through personal experience in these cities or just hearsay from what they have been told.
You could say that about any poll here on this website

Old 10-05-2016, 03:25 PM

760 posts, read 590,984 times
The real hipsters have been priced out of SF, Portland, Brooklyn, and Austin years ago. It's no longer hipsters, and it's now "yuppie" or "yipster"...basically wealthy white people emulating counter culture from the comforts of their cushy corporate IT job. The truly "ironic" part of the hipster trend is that it started as a way to get out of the boring, plain, chain store, suburbs...but now, all of these trendy neighborhoods have turned into what everyone was trying to flee from in the first place.

The hipsters have moved on already...they all moved to places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Buffalo around 2012-2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or