Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is Hipster Central?
Asheville NC 3 3.90%
Portland OR 45 58.44%
Austin Texas 3 3.90%
Williamsburg (Brooklyn) 18 23.38%
Other 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 03:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
You could say that about any poll here on this website
Of course, that's why I occasionally ask this question on these types of polls and threads.

No matter what criteria posters may request as their preferences for their specific wants and needs when asking where to relocate, some people will always respond with the names of the same cities or towns each time regardless as to whether or not those places qualify. They just use the names of the most popular places, suitable or not because they don't really know those places. Of course every thread has those people. So every now and then I like to hear from those who really know what they are talking about through personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 01:21 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
The real hipsters have been priced out of SF, Portland, Brooklyn, and Austin years ago. It's no longer hipsters, and it's now "yuppie" or "yipster"...basically wealthy white people emulating counter culture from the comforts of their cushy corporate IT job. The truly "ironic" part of the hipster trend is that it started as a way to get out of the boring, plain, chain store, suburbs...but now, all of these trendy neighborhoods have turned into what everyone was trying to flee from in the first place.

The hipsters have moved on already...they all moved to places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Buffalo around 2012-2013.
Yeah I agree to an extent. But not entirely because places like Bushwick and Bed Stuy are still kinda gritty and are the real hipster hotspots of New York. But even these neighborhoods are way too expensive for a true Bohemian kind of lifestyle.

I imagine somewhere like Philly would be better for real hipsters.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:40 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
The real hipsters have been priced out of SF, Portland, Brooklyn, and Austin years ago. It's no longer hipsters, and it's now "yuppie" or "yipster"...basically wealthy white people emulating counter culture from the comforts of their cushy corporate IT job. The truly "ironic" part of the hipster trend is that it started as a way to get out of the boring, plain, chain store, suburbs...but now, all of these trendy neighborhoods have turned into what everyone was trying to flee from in the first place.

The hipsters have moved on already...they all moved to places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Buffalo around 2012-2013.
Buffalo? I guess they like to shovel snow.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:17 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
What is the exact definition of a hipster? A modern day hippie?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:41 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
New York still has hipsters. Many of them are hipsters who actually found a way to make a career out of their artistic endeavors, and an even larger portion are hipsters whose parents can pay for help pay with the rent, but they are still very much hipsters. Also, contrary to what people seem to believe New York still has a lot of poor people. It's not actually a terrible place to be poor, but it is a difficult place to be middle-class.

That said, I don't think there's a hipster central anymore. The internet has made the dissemination of trends nearly instantaneous, so unless you're a hipster looking for a hipstery career that's centered in NY/LA, you're probably better off in Pittsburgh, Richmond, Milwaukee, Louisville or Cleveland.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:43 AM

473 posts, read 520,611 times
I think this idea that such-and-such city is too expensive for hipsters suggests a deeper misunderstanding about hipsters. The stereotype about hipsters is that they get significant help/enablement from their wealthy Baby Boomer parents.

The gentrification flowchart goes like this: the "real" artists come first, THEN the hipsters looking for the next cool thing, then the yuppies. If hipsters are leaving Williamsburg it's partly because it's no longer that cool anymore (at least north Williamsburg -- south Williamsburg is still drawing hipsters).

Old 10-07-2016, 12:03 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Definitely Williamsburg-Bushwick area (North Brooklyn). Bedford Ave. is the global nexus of most things hipster.

Portland "wins" for the West Coast, and would be #2 overall.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:08 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I see you're from NYC

Don't you think Williamsburg has gotten way less hipster in recent years? Rents are continuing to climb to Manhattan-level prices (especially around the Bedford L) and it is becoming very corporate as many chains are moving in there (including a whole foods and Apple Store very recently). Not to mention that it is getting a lot of national and international attention, making it too mainstream for hipsters, lol.

I would argue that Bushwick is the new hipster capital of Brooklyn now.
I see what you're saying but "hipster" is kind of an amorphous term.

"Bohemian" types tend to not live in Williamsburg anymore because it's extremely expensive. But Williamsburg is as packed with "hipsters" as it's ever been, because 1. Tons of them are wealthy and 2. Even if the "real" hipsters live in Bushwick and Ridgewood nowadays, they still mostly hang out in Williamsburg.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I see what you're saying but "hipster" is kind of an amorphous term.

"Bohemian" types tend to not live in Williamsburg anymore because it's extremely expensive. But Williamsburg is as packed with "hipsters" as it's ever been, because 1. Tons of them are wealthy and 2. Even if the "real" hipsters live in Bushwick and Ridgewood nowadays, they still mostly hang out in Williamsburg.
Hipsters definitely do hang out in Williamsburg as well as Lower Manhattan. I mean, these areas are where most young New Yorkers in general hang out.

Even Bushwick isn't exactly cheap, though. Nowhere in NYC has low rents.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:

You just described me. I lived in Portland and relocated to Cleveland although it was in 2014 rather than 2012-13.

You are also correct about the "Yipsters" (I call them "Yupsters") as the only ones able to afford the cost of living in Portland. Portland has become a typical upscale, trendy city that looks like every other typical upscale, trendy city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.