U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is Hipster Central?
Asheville NC 3 3.90%
Portland OR 45 58.44%
Austin Texas 3 3.90%
Williamsburg (Brooklyn) 18 23.38%
Other 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:49 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,972,200 times

Advertisements

PDX, Williamsburg (Brooklyn), and then probably someplace in the Bay Area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 03:59 PM

237 posts, read 129,594 times
The east side of la is either 1 or 2.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,097 times
Minneapolis and Denver both have strong bohemian streaks. Minneapolis is more on the artsy side while Denver seems more stoner driven.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:23 AM

97 posts, read 60,204 times
Hipster is already decades old. The term no longer bears any caché, especially since it no longer exemplifies having substantive style, plus its social norms are too lofty to be regarded as down to earth. The longevity of sub-cultures are short once they become lucratively commercial, although this is the continent of America after all .. oh well.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:33 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,871,070 times
So grown men on skateboards is now a hipster thing? I thought it was just a lameoid loser who can't get a life kinda thing.

I'm going to start calling myself a hipster, as a way to make my stupid/embarrassing habits look cool and acceptable.

But anyway, you can see grown men on skateboards in places like Salt Lake City and Denver. Anywhere where the weather is dry and warm, you find whatever you desire to see.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:26 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,871,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
The real hipsters have been priced out of SF, Portland, Brooklyn, and Austin years ago. It's no longer hipsters, and it's now "yuppie" or "yipster"...basically wealthy white people emulating counter culture from the comforts of their cushy corporate IT job. The truly "ironic" part of the hipster trend is that it started as a way to get out of the boring, plain, chain store, suburbs...but now, all of these trendy neighborhoods have turned into what everyone was trying to flee from in the first place.

The hipsters have moved on already...they all moved to places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Buffalo around 2012-2013.
The funny thing is, the culture of these cities originally claimed to embrace outcasts and non-conformists...but they ended up evolving into strict, tight-knit subcultures that are even more conformist than any other place in the US. i.e. must have tattoos and facial piercings and crazy hair dye, or else YOU'RE the outcast who doesn't belong. That goes against all principles of being a real outcast. What a joke.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:17 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
The funny thing is, the culture of these cities originally claimed to embrace outcasts and non-conformists...but they ended up evolving into strict, tight-knit subcultures that are even more conformist than any other place in the US. i.e. must have tattoos and facial piercings and crazy hair dye, or else YOU'RE the outcast who doesn't belong. That goes against all principles of being a real outcast. What a joke.
Outcasts of the rest of the country fit in there...

Old 10-10-2016, 07:13 AM

7,705 posts, read 4,566,742 times
Quote:
This could not possibly be more out of touch.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:24 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Quote:
So grown men on skateboards is now a hipster thing? I thought it was just a lameoid loser who can't get a life kinda thng.
Seriously. If you have fun while you exercise, I seriously doubt you could hold down a job. Same with cyclists and anyone over 18 who practices martial arts. Get a treadmill, you losers! Better yet. sit down and invest in some "Comfort Fit" premium stretch-fit chino slacks.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:23 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,525,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So what is the hipster capital of the US, at least among well-known cities? Where would you live if that life-style was your be-all and end-all? Or conversely, which of these cities would you avoid if the thought of living among coffee shops with free alternative newspapers, grown men on skate boards, organic food festivals, and dark bars serving craft beer to audiences listening to unknown alt rock bands, makes your skin crawl?

(And don't get too hung up on a precise definition of hipsters either. We all have a general notion of what that means.)

Portland, Asheville, Williamsburg (Brooklyn), and Austin come to mind for me. Other large (ish) cities that might be the epitome of hip?
The alt rock bands in Portland have been pretty much replaced by hordes of open mic stand up comics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or