Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is Hipster Central?
Asheville NC 3 3.90%
Portland OR 45 58.44%
Austin Texas 3 3.90%
Williamsburg (Brooklyn) 18 23.38%
Other 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

So what is the hipster capital of the US, at least among well-known cities? Where would you live if that life-style was your be-all and end-all? Or conversely, which of these cities would you avoid if the thought of living among coffee shops with free alternative newspapers, grown men on skate boards, organic food festivals, and dark bars serving craft beer to audiences listening to unknown alt rock bands, makes your skin crawl?

(And don't get too hung up on a precise definition of hipsters either. We all have a general notion of what that means.)

Portland, Asheville, Williamsburg (Brooklyn), and Austin come to mind for me. Other large (ish) cities that might be the epitome of hip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So what is the hipster capital of the US, at least among well-known cities? Where would you live if that life-style was your be-all and end-all? Or conversely, which of these cities would you avoid if the thought of living among coffee shops with free alternative newspapers, grown men on skate boards, organic food festivals, and dark bars serving craft beer to audiences listening to unknown alt rock bands, makes your skin crawl?

(And don't get too hung up on a precise definition of hipsters either. We all have a general notion of what that means.)

Portland, Asheville, Williamsburg (Brooklyn), and Austin come to mind for me. Other large (ish) cities that might be the epitome of hip?
That sounds like my version of hell minus the craft beer part. That's kind of how I picture Portland, Oregon.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:28 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
I think Austin is a bit more diverse to be lumped with these three.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:29 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
I see you're from NYC

Don't you think Williamsburg has gotten way less hipster in recent years? Rents are continuing to climb to Manhattan-level prices (especially around the Bedford L) and it is becoming very corporate as many chains are moving in there (including a whole foods and Apple Store very recently). Not to mention that it is getting a lot of national and international attention, making it too mainstream for hipsters, lol.

I would argue that Bushwick is the new hipster capital of Brooklyn now.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I see you're from NYC

Don't you think Williamsburg has gotten way less hipster in recent years? Rents are continuing to climb to Manhattan-level prices around the Bedford L and many chains are moving in there (including a whole foods and Apple Store very recently)

I would argue that Bushwick is the new hipster capital of Brooklyn now.
Yeah, you make a good point in that Bushwick is attracting a more hipsterish crowd now because it's more affordable. But I listed Williamsburg because the name and rep is more nationally well-known.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:38 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Portland, Austin, Seattle, Denver, and San Francisco.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:03 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Austin gets my vote.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:25 PM

473 posts, read 520,694 times
Your list is pointless without Oakland on it

ETA: Oh, yeah, and Boulder too

Old 10-04-2016, 05:27 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
asheville has a hippie drum circle every friday night. something weird and crazy is happening in asheville all the time, and it is funny if you look at it the right way. it makes for good conversation

i'd have Burlington Vermont, Chapel Hill, Berkeley, Seattle, and others on there.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
Your list is pointless without Oakland on it

ETA: Oh, yeah, and Boulder too
I've never visited Boulder, but I've been in Bay Area a lot recently. San Francisco, Berkeley, and Oakland all strike me as places that definitely have some degree of hipster vibe, along with some actual hipsters. But the area is now too expensive to attract very many new ones, unless they're the tech variety. Especially in San Francisco. Folks there also complain about a swift rise in Oakland rents and home prices. So it seems that the hipster pipeline just isn't being replenished in the Bay Area. Sort of the same argument made above about Williamsburg.

Last edited by citylove101; 10-04-2016 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.