Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM

422 posts, read 815,617 times

Advertisements

Almost every city vs. city thread eventually ends up with someone suggesting a tier system. The only city that truly has a tier is mighty NY. The others cities fall into every known category to man. Most notably, tier 2 you see LA and Chicago. But I often see DC, SF, Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta and Houston tossed around by various posters. Outside of NY, how can we determine which tier everyone fits in? How do we determine the other heavyweights in their region like Seattle, Denver, Miami and Detroit? Do we use the following criteria:

GDP
Metro Size
Quality of Life
Resources (e.g. government, technology, petroleum, research facilities)
Global presence
Historical relevance
Cost of Living
Geographic location

Please help ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Obviously the first two tiers are set...

Tier 1: New York City
Tier 2: Los Angeles, Chicago

D.C. can probably be added to tier 2... depending on what everyone thinks.

Now what are we comparing? Cities or Metros? That is the big question.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM

This is the normal tier system... if any altercations should be made to this... let me know.

Tier 1: New York

Tier 2: Chicago, Los Angeles

Tier 3: San Francisco, Houston, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington D.C.

Tier 4: Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas,

Tier 5: Portland, Kansas City, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore, New Orleans, Detroit, Minneapolis

Tier 6: San Antonio, Nashville, Saramento, Milwaukee, Columbus, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Memphis, Austin, Cincinnati

Tier 7:Orlando, Phoenix, Tampa, Buffalo, San Jose, Oakland, Oklahoma City, Honolulu

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 03-27-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Folks like to put Chicago in the same tier with L.A. (many rank it higher), but I don't buy it. Nor do I buy that it's a full tier above the Bay Area, frankly.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 PM

229 posts, read 468,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Folks like to put Chicago in the same tier with L.A. (many rank it higher), but I don't buy it. Nor do I buy that it's a full tier above the Bay Area, frankly.
I guess the truth is going to hurt

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Chicago... oh Chicago. I think most Americans and the world for the fact view it as America's "second largest city." It certainly has a great, large, manhattan-esk like central business district. It has Global Presence and is basically the center of the midwest... where as LA is more the Center of the west coast, not the Bay Area. Idk, that's a tough one.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
This is the normal tier system... if any altercations should be made to this... let me know.

Tier 1: New York

Tier 2: Chicago, Los Angeles

Tier 3: San Francisco, Houston, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington D.C.

Tier 4: Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas,

Tier 5: Portland, Kansas City, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore, New Orleans, Detroit, Minneapolis

Tier 6: San Antonio, Nashville, Saramento, Milwaukee, Columbus, Charlotte, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Memphis, Austin, Cincinnati

Tier 7:Orlando, Phoenix, Tampa, Nashville, Buffalo, San Jose, Oakland, Oklahoma City, Honolulu
Can we trade in our Tier 6 and Tier 7 for a Tier 5?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM

398 posts, read 751,029 times
Quote:
I also don't buy it. The Bay Area also has a higher GDP and more F500 companies than Chicago...I mean Chicago is a bigger city and better skyline, bigger downtown, but it also has much bigger swaths of uncontributing (for the most part) ghetto areas... but that doesn't make it better than LA now does it? I'd say no. So why does it automatically make it better than the Bay Area? The Bay Area has what I mentioned, but also better universities. More diversity, etc. To me it feels like a more international area. LA is

Greater LA is 17.8 Million people
Chicagoland is 9.8 Million people

now CLEARLY to me they are not on the same level.

Both SF and DC metro are both now on at least an equal playing field with Chicago, they both have higher GDP and seemingly have tremendous influence on the world. They both also seem to have a ritzier crowd, for what it's worth..

I'd do it like this.

NYC tier 1
LA tier 2
Chicago Bay Area DC tier 3
Boston Philly Houston Atlanta Dallas Miami tier 4

Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Can we trade in our Tier 6 and Tier 7 for a Tier 5?
There... fixed. Should have been Tier 6 not in both haha.

I can switch Nashville to Tier 5 and Baltimore to Tier 6 if you would like?? Haha

Old 03-27-2012, 09:33 PM

First... let's be clear. "The Bay Area" is not a metro. It is two metros. "The Bay Area" is also not a city. It is multiple cities. We have to be fair here when including these lists. We can't compare "The Bay Area" to Chicago.

Also, the GDP for U.S. Metros is

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. D.C.
5. Houston
6. DFW
7. Philly
8. San Fran
9. Boston
10. ATL

List of metropolitan areas in the United States by GMP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If U.S. Metros were countries how would they rank?
If U.S. Cities Were Countries, How Would They Rank? - Richard Florida - Business - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.