U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 04:56 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,569,258 times

Advertisements

I just read a category 4 hurricane hasnt touched down in north florida, south georgia in over a hundred years

Its crazy how much florida has been built up over the last 60-70 years, most of it very poor development. Stuff like this is going to be astronomical in terms of monetary damage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Not as bad as the hype. I was expecting a disaster. We fortunately were spared because the course changed to go further north. I hope they are prepared. I worry that they aren't as prepared because some of the state has never experienced a strong storm. Once your roof goes the house goes. It may be a suggestion for people with garages, if the roof goes, go to the garage and get in your car. You at least should be safe there. Good luck. Hope you do well.
Are you in Miami? I think that area wont be as serious, but a little further up the coast its going to be really bad . This storm has killed close to 300 people in Haiti.

The governor says this "Residents were streaming away from coastal regions, jamming highways, after Gov. Rick Scott of Florida told 1.5 million people living in evacuation zones: “You need to leave. Evacuate, evacuate, evacuate.” "

Yet he is always promoting development , less zoning regulations, sprawl, and population growth in florida?

Old 10-06-2016, 07:43 PM

this is scary with just a category 1. category 2 and 3 and 4 is absolutely frightening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqfE...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-06-2016, 11:33 PM

3,152 posts, read 3,091,105 times
I don't live in Hurricane country, but it seems many people hang out through a Cat 1, Cat 2, but if the forecast was for a 3 or more I'd just start driving with a car full of food and water!

I saw this video years ago and out of all the Katrina videos I saw, this one affected me the most for some reason... The man admits he's a fool for staying and at the end he looks in the camera and says next time he will run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQkksAVBezc

Old 10-07-2016, 01:04 PM

13,276 posts, read 17,799,782 times
Personally I do not care if someone does not evacuate once it is recommended as long as the decision is made for themselves not children, elderly or pets. Please do expect and demand to be rescued as this often endangers the rescuers.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:28 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,633,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I just read a category 4 hurricane hasnt touched down in north florida, south georgia in over a hundred years

Its crazy how much florida has been built up over the last 60-70 years, most of it very poor development. Stuff like this is going to be astronomical in terms of monetary damage

Huh, poor development? Most houses are built with concrete blocks and many are ranch style/low profile due to this reason of getting hit by hurricanes. Up north you have cardboard houses, sorry made of wood houses(those would fare much worse in the event of a major hurricane).

Old 10-10-2016, 07:14 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Personally I do not care if someone does not evacuate once it is recommended as long as the decision is made for themselves not children, elderly or pets. Please do expect and demand to be rescued as this often endangers the rescuers.
I agree. I was furious at those people who remained WITH THEIR CHILDREN in that B&B in St. Augustine, watching on the porch as the water rose around them.
As far the question of why people don't take hurricane evacuation more seriously, I chalked it up to a populace that has become jaded with the overhyped nature of media coverage. I hear a lot of "Oh, it's never as bad as they say it's going to be" and they have gotten to the point of dismissing the warnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.