U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Ashley. I'm single- no kids. I've been doing some research on my own because I feel a little stupid asking this because I'm not even sure what I'm looking for even exists. I'm not able to move right away- but I'm looking to move in a year or 2.
Anyway, I'm looking for a place with nice people. Maybe a small town? A place where there's still a sense of community. Also a place that actually does holidays. People here seem to be more rude during the holidays.
When I say nice, I mean people who will smile & say hello when they see you. That will help you if you're in trouble, who will treat you less like a stranger & more like a.....friend.
If possible, I'd rather stay away from Massachusetts & up that way. I was looking at North or South Carolina. I'd love to live down there somewhere. Was also thinking Alabama or Mississippi- Southern hospitality. I've only been out of PA a handful of times (Virginia, North & South Carolina) & I don't really have any friends or family members that live out of state. So I really don't know. Any advice would be great. Even if you don't really know a place but you know a website that may help, just let me know. On Bing, I've searched everything. From "US states with the nicest people" to "Nicest people in Alabama", "nicest people in Alaska" and pretty much every other state. So I am willing to do research if pointed in the right direction.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope this isn't just a dumb fantasy- I hope places like this still exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 07:32 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,369,214 times
Just remember, utopia really don't exist. Plenty places may come close to what you are looking for, but no place is actually the absolute perfect place. You should visit the forums of these places you mention here, and ask the people who live there. Even the nicest person can have a bad day, and you just happen to meet them for the first time on their bad day, then your impression is pretty much set. Just don't set yourself up for a major letdown, even nice places can have some not so nice people. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
It's not a "dumb fantasy," but unless you're independently wealthy you will need to think about employment opportunities, cost-of-living and budget for housing, weather, entertainment options, things like that. And "nice people" could include a town with mostly senior citizens rather than people your own age, so the type of people is also something you should be considering.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,923 times
Thanks for the replies.
I understand that there's not a place in this world that is perfect. Everyone does have bad days & there are bad people that live in good places. There are some nice people where I live. But I'm going to describe what I deal with on a regular basis. If you don't have money or you're not on the board of or you don't volunteer at the local theater, most people turn their noses up to you. At the store, or on the road, people will cut in front of me all the time. Sometimes I say something, sometimes it's just not worth it. If you walk past someone, smile, & say, "Hello", people look at you like you killed their dog or something. Like their faces would crack if they smiled. If your car breaks down or you need help, good luck. Sometimes, you may get lucky and one of those nice people I mentioned will stop. Most of these people are selfish and some are racist. There's no sense of community. At the few social events we have every year here (the fair, Fall Festival, and the Picnic in the Park), people get in their little groups there too. Oh and during the holidays- it's worse. I know there's a lot of pressure that comes with the holidays and people are stressed. But people are just plain mean.
I don't know if I've watched one too many Hallmark movies but I do smile and say hello. I help people if I can. I don't look down on anyone and I try to give everyone a chance. I'm not one of those overbearing happy people who always sees the glass half full. I have bad days too. But I try. I just want to be around people who try too.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:19 PM

56,501 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley743 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I understand that there's not a place in this world that is perfect. Everyone does have bad days & there are bad people that live in good places. There are some nice people where I live. But I'm going to describe what I deal with on a regular basis. If you don't have money or you're not on the board of or you don't volunteer at the local theater, most people turn their noses up to you. At the store, or on the road, people will cut in front of me all the time. Sometimes I say something, sometimes it's just not worth it. If you walk past someone, smile, & say, "Hello", people look at you like you killed their dog or something. Like their faces would crack if they smiled. If your car breaks down or you need help, good luck. Sometimes, you may get lucky and one of those nice people I mentioned will stop. Most of these people are selfish and some are racist. There's no sense of community. At the few social events we have every year here (the fair, Fall Festival, and the Picnic in the Park), people get in their little groups there too. Oh and during the holidays- it's worse. I know there's a lot of pressure that comes with the holidays and people are stressed. But people are just plain mean.
I don't know if I've watched one too many Hallmark movies but I do smile and say hello. I help people if I can. I don't look down on anyone and I try to give everyone a chance. I'm not one of those overbearing happy people who always sees the glass half full. I have bad days too. But I try. I just want to be around people who try too.
Is this why you have ruled out MA and "states up that way"? I think what may help is if you list what you are looking for in a town and you may find a town further north that may work. Being specific is likely more important that than just looking at location, unless that is a part of the new search.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,450 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley743 View Post
If you don't have money or you're not on the board of or you don't volunteer at the local theater, most people turn their noses up to you.
Are you in an area where the average income is a lot more than you make?
A lot of smaller cities and towns have a lot of what you are looking for, but some places can be upscale, exclusive, or whatever word you want to use. Wondering if you might do better in places with a more modest COL? (although not so small that everyone has grown up with everyone else)
Or I could be way off track, just throwing out a guess, LOL

Old 10-09-2016, 08:47 AM

48 posts, read 28,532 times
To the OP: I know exactly what you're searching for; I'm on the same quest. I'm tired of aggressive, road-raging, insane people who don't know how to smile or say hello. I grew up in the Great Midwest (rural/small-town Midwest), which is sort of the Gold Standard, for me, for friendliness and a sense of community.

My own research, so far, is leading me back to the Midwest, although I'm hearing good things about Vermont, NY, and Maine. I need snow for XC skiing, so that's a major factor in my own search.

To those who say "there is no utopia" - of course, you're right. That's common sense. But it's also true that there are places that fit better with our own personalities and desires. A fish out of water can't survive long. Better to go find some water. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or