U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,002 times

Advertisements

Just so you know, the accents used by Peter and Lois on Family Guy aren't representative of Providence / Rhode Island accents. Lois speaks with a NYC (Long Island) accent, while Peter's accent is an odd mix of Bostonian with a bit of New Yorker thrown in, but it doesn't really exist in the real world.

At any rate, I am fond of the accents here in New England, but my favourites are probably the various accents of England and Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,953,132 times
Irish and Southern are my favorites

Old 02-24-2008, 07:06 AM

34 posts, read 111,685 times
Aussie's do it for me

Old 02-24-2008, 10:51 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,263,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Just so you know, the accents used by Peter and Lois on Family Guy aren't representative of Providence / Rhode Island accents. Lois speaks with a NYC (Long Island) accent, while Peter's accent is an odd mix of Bostonian with a bit of New Yorker thrown in, but it doesn't really exist in the real world.

At any rate, I am fond of the accents here in New England, but my favourites are probably the various accents of England and Scotland.
Yeah, I know. The creator of the show said that it was a parody of the accents spoken in New England. He actually is from Boston. He did say that they were not actual accents, but he started with Providence accent and made changes and added other stuff.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:01 AM

5,515 posts, read 17,681,258 times
The NYC accent. Brooklyn or the Bronx.

The tough guy italian mobster "Badabi Bada voom" always gets to me.

I also like the way southern gals speak. Especially from the carolinas.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:09 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,566,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I will tell you right now that there are many British accents and none of them sound the way you think. The accent you here spoken by British celebrities is R.P. (Received Pronunciation). It is basically what General American is to us. The most neutral accent that is understandable to everybody in the country. We have more GA speakers here than they have RP speakers. I speak with the GA accent. RP is really only spoken by celebrities and the Royal Family, lol. Nobody in England with the exception of a handful actually talks like that. If you heard people who didn't talk like that, you probably wouldn't understand them. The British accents of the common citizens aren't polished nor do they give the appearance of intelligence to people, lol. They shorten words and use slang just like us.
I've heard enough movies with cockney accents to know that not everyone speaks the Queens English. I still like the accent, and think it sounds more intelligent than your average Southern, Brooklyn, Boston, or Pittsburgh accents (even though it's hard to understand).

Old 02-24-2008, 06:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,208,735 times
Southern accent.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:16 PM

746 posts, read 648,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I like hearing different accents. Just interesting to hear English spoken in so many different ways. What are your favorite accents to hear? Remember, this is a thread for favorites, not what accents you hate. No accent-bashing here, lol.

My personal favorites:
Boston accent (watch Good Will Hunting or The Departed if you've never heard one)
Providence accent (Family Guy)
Some New York accents (I like a lot of the Long Island ones. The stereotypical Italian New Yorker one is nice.)
Australian accents (Two favorites being the Melbourne accent and the Adelaide accent. Sydney accent is pretty cool as well.)
1. British Accents
2. Australians sound just like cockney british people (but i like cockney accents they sound funny)
3. Boston accents (although having lived in MA, they can become a bit annoying)
4. New York and Long Island accents
5. Southern accents (as long as its not too southern)
6. Minnesota & Michigan accents (i like how they refer to coke as pop)
7. Jamacian Accents (like Hey Mon)
8. Indian Accents (not native americans, but people from India)

Old 02-24-2008, 06:24 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,710,989 times
Default Where do I begin?

Southern: So far, all of them. Carolinas, southern VA, TN, north FL, WV are places I've heard different accents. The thicker the better.

Other American Accents: all of them but Standard American English interest me, since it's almost exactly the same accent as ordinary Canadian English.

Boston accents, New York accents, Jersey, Philly, "Northern Cities Shift/Drift"... I've met people on vacation with those accents. I have only heard "Minnesota accents" on TV... They sound odd but interesting.

British: most to all of them, including Cockney, Liverpuddlian (?) etc.
I thought RP was called "Queen's English"

Other Faves:
Irish, "Newfie," Scotish, Welsh, Jamaican/Caribbean, "Ocker" Australian (Crocodile Dundee/Croc Hunter), South African, other kinds of African English.

*I think it's pretty cool to hear people talk in ways no one (or hardly anyone) would in Toronto.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:27 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,263,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
1. British Accents
2. Australians sound just like cockney british people (but i like cockney accents they sound funny)
3. Boston accents (although having lived in MA, they can become a bit annoying)
4. New York and Long Island accents
5. Southern accents (as long as its not too southern)
6. Minnesota & Michigan accents (i like how they refer to coke as pop)
7. Jamacian Accents (like Hey Mon)
8. Indian Accents (not native americans, but people from India)
Strange. I don't think Australian and Brits sound alike at all. I can always tell the difference between their accents. For the record, the pop thing is a Midwest thing. I was born in Indianapolis and raised in Ohio. They say it in those areas too. I remember the first time I actually met somebody from New York. I said I was thirsty and wanted a pop. She looked at me like I had two heads or something. As far as accents go, I have the Midland (the neutral General American) accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.