Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:29 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Yeah, well a lot of Americans don't like the Boston accent. It's my favorite American accent though. They always say people who speak with that accent need to learn actual English, but what they don't know is that some of the pronunciations in their accent comes from the British. The most notable thing being the "ah" instead of "r". I liked their accent ever since I saw Good Will Hunting, which was a movie set in Boston. They talk really fast, lol.
I grew up just south of Boston, and we definitely do drop the r and the a and o is pronouced differently by many of us. I do think our accent has traces of British English and also Irish English, of which many of us are decendents of. Depending on what generation we are in the USA, and the closer to Boston the stronger the accent If you look at British and Australian English ,as well as the New England accent especially in Eastern Mass, the r is dropped when speaking. I lived in Japan for several years and I was asked numerous times by both Americans and Canadians if I was Australian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:15 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times
I enjoy most any accent. I really enjoy the accents from Brooklyn, Staten Island and New Jersey. Probably because they are so different from what I was exposed to growing up in the south. I also enjoyed those North Carolina (outer banks) accents when I lived there. I seriously had a hard time understanding some of the natives, but it was always enjoyable.Somehow even being from the south- people often ask me about my "midwestern" accent. Not sure how this happened- maybe I have taken on some weird mixture of accents due to living/traveling in different places. Strangely enough none of these places were in the mid-west. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
hands down, most any southern, very disarming gentle kind engaging.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:00 PM

87 posts, read 290,417 times
I love the Texas accent, I grew up around it.
Any accent from the British Isles is cool too.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 AM

81 posts, read 285,182 times
Irish accent, and the Southeastern English accent. But when I feel homesick, just any good ol' American accent will do (the less distinct ones, from the midwest and west).

(note: there are many, many varieties of "British" accents, so there's really no such thing as a "British" accent; however, this commonly refers to RP, or Received Pronunciation)

Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM

52 posts, read 208,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
hands down, most any southern, very disarming gentle kind engaging.
I agree, my mom grew up on the Texas/Louisiana border, it's an amazing accent.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,182 times
Boston

Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 PM

7 posts, read 54,896 times
California! Being a native Cali girl, I had to represent it since
no one else posted Cali...
Hmm it must be annoying, or something... lol

Old 03-08-2008, 07:36 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
I love southern accents (of course I am from the south ). I also like to hear South African accents. If you have never heard anyone from South Africa speak you might think they were British or maybe even German, but once you have heard a South African accent for any amount of time they are pretty easy to pick up on. South African accents are truly distinctive.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:33 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernjewishgal View Post
Well sure, I learned how to talk in Louisiana and live in Missouri so I picked up southern and hillbilly and then throw in some Yiddish or Hebrew every once in awhile.
That must sound soo nice.:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.