U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:29 PM

238 posts, read 760,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
That must sound soo nice.:-)
Haha Yeah I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,924,816 times
I like that New Orleans/Cajun accent.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 AM

145 posts, read 465,780 times
I like British accents best.

New York ones are cool if they are not forced(like many South Floridians who supposedly "grew up in the bx")

Southern accents are just weird to me

Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 PM

322 posts, read 706,607 times
Absolutely without a doubt a Southern accent. Can't get enough of it - well, only if it's a girl talking!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 PM

7,825 posts, read 12,338,063 times
LOL no accent bashing.......

Anyway, my favorite accents are the Southern accent/country twang (I'm not educated enough to completely 100% decipher the difference) and the British accent.

The British can sound exquisite, classy, and cultured without coming across as arrogant and snotty. Australian accents are pretty cool too.

A Southern accent naturally makes someone sound friendly and gracious. I associate it with small town America and Southern hospitality.

I also love Asian accents like Willam Hung's I'm allowed to because I'm of Asian descent and I find it funny when foreign Asians speak in those funny accents. I think the Korean accent in the movie "Team America" was great.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I will tell you right now that there are many British accents and none of them sound the way you think. The accent you here spoken by British celebrities is R.P. (Received Pronunciation). It is basically what General American is to us. The most neutral accent that is understandable to everybody in the country. We have more GA speakers here than they have RP speakers. I speak with the GA accent. RP is really only spoken by celebrities and the Royal Family, lol. Nobody in England with the exception of a handful actually talks like that. If you heard people who didn't talk like that, you probably wouldn't understand them. The British accents of the common citizens aren't polished nor do they give the appearance of intelligence to people, lol. They shorten words and use slang just like us.
I've never had any trouble understanding any British person either during my visit to London or among British people I've run across here. I remmeber 2 girls back in high school who had a funnier Britihs accent that was different than what was on TV but it was still easy to understand. The only problem I've had trouble understanding an accent is the broken English spoken by illegal aliens working at McDonalds and Exxon.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 PM

Is there such thing as a "ghetto accent" by the way? Like "whassap dawg, fo shizzle ma dizzle". It is distinct from Ebonics or African American vernacular.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 PM

Also on a side note, the easiest accents to fake are the African, Italian, and Indian accents.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:53 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,266,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Is there such thing as a "ghetto accent" by the way? Like "whassap dawg, fo shizzle ma dizzle". It is distinct from Ebonics or African American vernacular.
That's dialect. It's not an accent.

Ebonics and African American Vernacular are the same thing by the way.

That dialect is spoken in every accent. That's why black New Yorkers don't sound like black Southerners.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,490,649 times
South Eastern Wisconsin. Particulary east of Madison and south of FonduLac.

If you are familiar w/this accent you can pinpoint somebody 1000 miles from home. My dad's been identified that way many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.