U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,150,738 times

Advertisements

I've been told the purest English accent is the "Middle Atlantic" accent (think Bermuda ?) :what is this mysterious accent ? Intriguing.
I like the Californian accent, easier for a foreigner, or the newyorker slang with all these yiddish and german expressions.
The Southern drawls sound exotic to me, not easy to understand but worth a try.
GP English is fine with me (it has a soothing dimension,I imagine teatime conversation between old-time ladies) even Cockney (which to my ear has something American), but
The other British accents (Welsh, Cornish, Birmingham ) I'm not familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM

150 posts, read 414,074 times
I love the southern accent. I had a completely different accent before, but the southern accent is rubbing off on me.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,839 times
Default Boston Accent is very different from an Ozzie Accent

I lived in Japan for several years and I was asked numerous times by both Americans and Canadians if I was Australian.[/quote]

I grew up South of Boston in what is called the South Shore and have a pretty thick Boston accent and was involed with a women from Melbourne and trust me our accents were as distinct from one another as night and day.While it is true that both accents drop the r in Bostonian English is it more pronunced and cruder not just cah for car but cahh. Also ,the Aussie accent is more high pitched the Boston accent is deeper and more guteral. When Aussies talk they almost sound as if there singing and jovial Bostonians come accross like there pissed off about everything and we have a distinct dark sarcastic hostile sense of humor. Stereotype Aussie saying G Day - Typical Bostonian -Why ya sayin good day ahhshole I don't know ya what ahh ya retahhhdid (retarded) ?

Some other differences .Aussies do not have the superiority complex that Boston has cause we thinkl we are the center of the Universe The Hub -and are so wicked smahht cause we gut Hahhvad ,MIT ,BU BC and Nothheastin.

Boston is a unique place almost a nationality in and of itself.

Here is typical Boston humor

MySpace.com - STEVE SWEENEY FAN PAGE - 60 - Male - Boston, MASSACHUSETTS - www.myspace.com/110571659

YouTube - Comedian Steve Sweeney

Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM

341 posts, read 1,220,112 times
The New Orleans accent (I think its calle Yat???) is my favorite, especially when I hear a girl speak it

And I like that DMV accent (DC, Maryland, VA) especially the closer you get to Baltimore. It cracks me up how they make thier "o's" sound like "u's"

Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,132,305 times
Philly........ wudder

Old 02-04-2009, 01:31 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,424,090 times
love that tough guy New York accent
New Orleans accent such as Harry Connick Jr.
British accent such as George Michael
Australian

Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
love that tough guy New York accent
New Orleans accent such as Harry Connick Jr.
British accent such as George Michael
Australian
British accents are the best.

My out of state friends get afraid when I get mad since my NY accent gets a lot stronger

Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 AM

389 posts, read 988,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Philly........ wudder
It's wooder.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM

3,074 posts, read 5,447,836 times
Quote:
British accents are the best.
A wise man once told me that the British accent is a result of the more capable English speakers moving to the U.S. This allowed the British accent to deteriorate to its current state, which is essentially a bunch of mis-pronounced words.

Any truth to this?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I will tell you right now that there are many British accents and none of them sound the way you think. The accent you here spoken by British celebrities is R.P. (Received Pronunciation). It is basically what General American is to us. The most neutral accent that is understandable to everybody in the country. We have more GA speakers here than they have RP speakers. I speak with the GA accent. RP is really only spoken by celebrities and the Royal Family, lol. Nobody in England with the exception of a handful actually talks like that. If you heard people who didn't talk like that, you probably wouldn't understand them. The British accents of the common citizens aren't polished nor do they give the appearance of intelligence to people, lol. They shorten words and use slang just like us.
That is so true. There are some really cool accents in britain though and they are completely different to the RP accent. Scouse is my favourite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.