U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:01 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,270,019 times

Advertisements

I like hearing different accents. Just interesting to hear English spoken in so many different ways. What are your favorite accents to hear? Remember, this is a thread for favorites, not what accents you hate. No accent-bashing here, lol.

My personal favorites:
Boston accent (watch Good Will Hunting or The Departed if you've never heard one)
Providence accent (Family Guy)
Some New York accents (I like a lot of the Long Island ones. The stereotypical Italian New Yorker one is nice.)
Australian accents (Two favorites being the Melbourne accent and the Adelaide accent. Sydney accent is pretty cool as well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,954,681 times
Thank you so much for making this a no negative thread, we need more OP's like you in this neck of the woods, lol.

I like the Texas accent, which is somewhat different than that of oh.. say a place like Tenn.

I also like the Minnesota. A lot of people in my state have it so it's not just partial to Mn.

those are the 2 i can think of right now...

Old 02-23-2008, 10:08 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,570,768 times
British accent is my favorite...with a British accent you can sound like an intellectual even when you sound like an idiot. But as for American....I don't know....maybe California?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,954,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
British accent is my favorite...with a British accent you can sound like an intellectual even when you sound like an idiot. But as for American....I don't know....maybe California?
lol so true

Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,687,146 times
British is the nicest sounding. Australia is nice too and some times is confused with British.

Im quite fond of the Texas accent here.

Dont like the many NY accents, especially Brooklyn. I do love you all in Boston my fellow sports fans but I dont like your accent either.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I will tell you right now that there are many British accents and none of them sound the way you think. The accent you here spoken by British celebrities is R.P. (Received Pronunciation). It is basically what General American is to us. The most neutral accent that is understandable to everybody in the country. We have more GA speakers here than they have RP speakers. I speak with the GA accent. RP is really only spoken by celebrities and the Royal Family, lol. Nobody in England with the exception of a handful actually talks like that. If you heard people who didn't talk like that, you probably wouldn't understand them. The British accents of the common citizens aren't polished nor do they give the appearance of intelligence to people, lol. They shorten words and use slang just like us.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,648,329 times
I watched some Irish movie and I would have to say normal Irish toungue is very nice to hear not that mix pirate / irish wannnabe's that is type cast for TV.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 02-23-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
British is the nicest sounding. Australia is nice too and some times is confused with British.

Im quite fond of the Texas accent here.

Dont like the many NY accents, especially Brooklyn. I do love you all in Boston my fellow sports fans but I dont like your accent either.
I don't know why, but I've always liked East Coast and New England accents. For some reason, non-rhotic accents (the ones where the "r" isn't pronounced or isn't pronounced to where an outsider can hear it) have always sounded cool to me.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 PM

87,037 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Texas. Just the right amount of southern!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,672,416 times
I think the Brits sound smarter for some reason.

I'm pretty used to a southern/midwestern accent, so it doesn't really bother me. Boston accents annoy me a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.