U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:45 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know it can be hard for a lot of people on this forum to wrap their heads around, but a lot of people actually *like* the suburbs...and that includes young people. Everybody isn't trying to live in the newest hip urban enclaves. Some people like having their peace and quiet but with relatively close access to the amenities that central cities provide.
Look I bought a small house in a far flung suburb at 23, married with kids at 25 ok. I'm not some millennial urban snob. But 1 year renting to get the feel for a slightly more urban area? Worth it IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 10:19 PM

5,884 posts, read 6,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Maybe it's Northeastern bias, but I tend to think of areas 25-30 miles out of the city as exurbs, at best.
Some people in my area live in subdivisions next to cornfields and think they live in the suburbs, uh... not quite. Most people don't know the difference between a suburb and a small town in cow country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Cincinnati I think far and away is your better option with a lot of desirable housing stock in your price range well within 30 miles of downtown, has tons of amenities and is an area with plenty of work options too.
Oakley, Northside and Pleasant Ridge. Making a 30 mile commute to downtown is insane and from some areas can take over an hour during rush hour.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:36 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Some people in my area live in subdivisions next to cornfields and think they live in the suburbs, uh... not quite. Most people don't know the difference between a suburb and a small town in cow country.
Well if the residents commute to the primary city of the region for jobs, then they qualify as suburbs.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:48 AM

56,514 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Not to hijack the thread, but OP, what about "Rust Belt" areas? I only ask because you can find homes in that range in fine suburbs and still have a short commute in many cases. In fact, if you are homeschooling, you may even be able to live in a nicer city neighborhood, if you are open to that.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 1,457 times
Wow. I didn't expect this thread to get this way. I may be in my mid twenties, but my husband is closer to forty. We definitely don't mind the suburbs as we like neighbors that we don't share walls with. We are dead set on buying a house. After renting for so many years we don't want to keep wasting money on rent. What is the "rust belt"? Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.