U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 1,461 times

Advertisements

How are they in the suburbs in terms of affordable homes to buy, weather, crime, cost of living, and most importantly, jobs?

Trying to find homes between $130,000-$150,000. I just got a degree in business and my husband works in manufacturing with no college degree. We are more concerned with my job than his. Schools are not a concern as in the future we are homeschooling. Definitely would like plenty for children of all ages to do though.

We currently live an hour from Louisville in a small town with nothing that is far from the interstate. We need to move, but would like to narrow our choice of cities to two so we can visit them.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 07:11 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,129,018 times
Well forget Chicago. No way with that purchase price. Unless you really like living in a very dangerous area.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:23 AM

7,744 posts, read 4,590,691 times
That price range isn't going to get you anything decent in the Chicago, Charlotte or Atlanta suburbs. Maybe in an extreme exurb, but if the 1990 in your screenname means what I think it does, I can't imagine why you'd want to deal with that kind of commute, if schools don't matter.

I don't know about Lexington or Cincinnati.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:33 AM

Recent college grad and blue collar worker in mid-20s? Don't buy a house yet. You are going to end up in another small town way outside a larger city with that requirement.

Rent a condo or apartment in a cool fun part of a city for a couple years to see what you think.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:32 AM

29,955 posts, read 27,450,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That price range isn't going to get you anything decent in the Chicago, Charlotte or Atlanta suburbs. Maybe in an extreme exurb, but if the 1990 in your screenname means what I think it does, I can't imagine why you'd want to deal with that kind of commute, if schools don't matter.

I don't know about Lexington or Cincinnati.
Disagreed. They won't be able to buy in the highly desirable suburbs of Charlotte or Atlanta (don't know about Chicago), but options do exist within that price range of decent suburbs that aren't that far out.

Belmont Real Estate - Belmont NC Homes For Sale | Zillow

Rock Hill Real Estate - Rock Hill SC Homes For Sale | Zillow

Douglasville Real Estate - Douglasville GA Homes For Sale | Zillow

Kennesaw Real Estate - Kennesaw GA Homes For Sale | Zillow

Old 10-08-2016, 08:43 AM

7,744 posts, read 4,590,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Disagreed. They won't be able to buy in the highly desirable suburbs of Charlotte or Atlanta (don't know about Chicago), but options do exist within that price range of decent suburbs that aren't that far out.

Belmont Real Estate - Belmont NC Homes For Sale | Zillow

Rock Hill Real Estate - Rock Hill SC Homes For Sale | Zillow

Douglasville Real Estate - Douglasville GA Homes For Sale | Zillow

Kennesaw Real Estate - Kennesaw GA Homes For Sale | Zillow
Maybe it's Northeastern bias, but I tend to think of areas 25-30 miles out of the city as exurbs, at best.

Old 10-08-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Maybe it's Northeastern bias, but I tend to think of areas 25-30 miles out of the city as exurbs, at best.
That's only if you're looking at downtown to downtown (except Belmont, which is 14 mi from Uptown Charlotte). Even so, you can still find houses within that price range in Mableton and Smyrna (around 15 mi to DT Atlanta) and Mint Hill and Matthews (12 mi to Uptown Charlotte). The OP definitely has good options in metro Charlotte and Atlanta.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:17 PM

But again, mid 20s, low budget, want to live somewhere more exciting? Buy a tiny SFH in a far flung suburb?

Old 10-08-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
But again, mid 20s, low budget, want to live somewhere more exciting? Buy a tiny SFH in a far flung suburb?
I know it can be hard for a lot of people on this forum to wrap their heads around, but a lot of people actually *like* the suburbs...and that includes young people. Everybody isn't trying to live in the newest hip urban enclaves. Some people like having their peace and quiet but with relatively close access to the amenities that central cities provide.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:49 PM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Cincinnati I think far and away is your better option with a lot of desirable housing stock in your price range well within 30 miles of downtown, has tons of amenities and is an area with plenty of work options too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.