U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What cities do you think are the rudest?
NYC 67 35.26%
Boston 56 29.47%
Philly 37 19.47%
DC 31 16.32%
Atlanta 25 13.16%
Miami 44 23.16%
Chicago 22 11.58%
St. Louis 7 3.68%
Detroit 22 11.58%
Cleveland 9 4.74%
Houston 17 8.95%
Dallas 18 9.47%
OKC 6 3.16%
Omaha 6 3.16%
Austin 11 5.79%
Albuquerque 9 4.74%
Denver 8 4.21%
Seattle 9 4.74%
Portland 11 5.79%
Sacramento 6 3.16%
San Francisco 19 10.00%
San Jose 10 5.26%
Los Angeles 43 22.63%
San Diego 10 5.26%
Phoenix 17 8.95%
Las Veags 19 10.00%
Pittsburgh 12 6.32%
Honolulu 4 2.11%
Tampa 16 8.42%
Milwaukee 9 4.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,865,814 times
Reputation: 1668

Advertisements

My experiences with the locals in Boston and NYC have overwhelmingly positive (however, I have a lot of relatives from NE and New York, so culturally, northeasterners have never been all that 'foreign' to me, despite growing up in Chicago). The only really rude people I've encountered in NYC were the Williamsburg hipsters, and well, we all know about those sorts.

 
Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Chicago
93 posts, read 63,563 times
Reputation: 16
The people of Portland are very self-righteous. The whole eco-friendly routine.
 
Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,453 posts, read 7,520,622 times
Reputation: 4334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
My own experience with DC was quite different...I found them friendly...maybe just an anomaly?
How long were you here, and were you just in the tourist areas? I feel as though you really don't get to experience the TRUE attitude of DC until you live here for even a short period of time; then you easily see how self-centered/absorbed and just plain uppity many of the residents are. As always, there are exceptions -- but unfortunately that's just seems to be the norm here all too often.
 
Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
2,237 posts, read 6,565,683 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
How long were you here, and were you just in the tourist areas? I feel as though you really don't get to experience the TRUE attitude of DC until you live here for even a short period of time; then you easily see how self-centered/absorbed and just plain uppity many of the residents are. As always, there are exceptions -- but unfortunately that's just seems to be the norm here all too often.
I was only there for a few days, so you're right I didn't get the full experience of DC. However, I'm thinking specifically areas of NW DC far away from the tourist areas that the people seemed rather polite--both on the street and in restaurants. Note: I'm not saying that DC is an especially friendly city, I'm just saying that my experience was far from unfriendly. I think this goes for many cities. I've lived in Pittsburgh my entire life, and people tell me it's friendly; but, honestly, I see so much road rage and so many jerks, that I personally, wouldn't call it friendly. I think a lot of it has to do with what times of the day your out and in what areas
 
Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
 
6,960 posts, read 14,091,290 times
Reputation: 4543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna044 View Post
I feel like these are stereotypes. I live in Boston and I always give people directions when the need help and give my seat up to elderly/pregnant people on the T. I usually see other people do the same.
When I go to New York the people are pretty pleasant as well, so isn't D.C. Maybe its the way people carry themselves, I mean I know when I am walking to work at 8 in the morning I'm not smiling. But does that make me rude?

I think its just our culture, we are fast paced and busy all the time. But if you say excuse me and ask a question, we will gladly stop and help you. The drivers have seemed to calm down as well, I never get honked at crossing the street.

Maybe I'm wrong?
I just think coming from the South or West where no one is in a hurry to go anywhere (except SoCal freeways), you rushed New Englanders just seem rude to us. However, you live there and can connect with how those "rude" people feel and find them to be normal.

I also understand how people think Angelenos are rude because we seem not to care about anything and it's always a game of "I can do better." But, I live here and understand that it's just the lifestyle out here. On the other hand, most of those people are East Coast transplants...
 
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Chicago
93 posts, read 63,563 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I just think coming from the South or West where no one is in a hurry to go anywhere (except SoCal freeways), you rushed New Englanders just seem rude to us. However, you live there and can connect with how those "rude" people feel and find them to be normal.

I also understand how people think Angelenos are rude because we seem not to care about anything and it's always a game of "I can do better." But, I live here and understand that it's just the lifestyle out here. On the other hand, most of those people are East Coast transplants...
That's true about the 'hurry' comment. I'm from Chicago, we have a pretty decent rep for being nice people, for such a big city. However, we like things done yesterday and if you get in our way even on the sidewalk it'll **** us off. We expect you to act like you have someplace to go. Act like you have things to do, places to go, people to see. Even if you're just running to the drug store. I find most major cites above the mason Dixon and east of the Mississippi, like NYC, Chi, Philly, Boston, have that same mentality. Their not being rude, their just irked by visitors(especially tourists) lack of urgency and efficiency. After all, TIME IS MONEY! LOL!
 
Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
 
767 posts, read 1,827,769 times
Reputation: 508
Rudest cities that I have spent time in:

1. Miami
2. Newark
3. Chicago
 
Old 07-23-2008, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
1,020 posts, read 3,068,525 times
Reputation: 443
Cleveland and Atlanta are the rudest I have experienced. But I haven't frequented those cities either. I'm going to fill everyone in on a secret, or a tip. Clevelander's have a seniority issue. I'm serious. Everything there goes by who has seniority. This was so noticeable to me, it has always stuck with me. I have had to work with blue collar Clevelander's a few times, and they're pushy, uptight, and all about seniority. They always tried to get us to do most of the work, or the hardest parts, instead they ended up doing them. They had great workers, but their bosses were you know what. Remember this, Cleveland has a seniority issue. Instead of culture shock, you might experience seniority shock.

I put Atlanta down too because the city seems way caught up in who's who, whats cool, and status more than just being down to Earth. They're all hustle-bustle, don't expect any kindness, or at home feeling.
 
Old 07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,396,810 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Rudest cities that I have spent time in:

1. Miami
2. Newark
3. Chicago
Maybe if you've only been to those three cities.
 
Old 07-23-2008, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,951,554 times
Reputation: 1788
I didn't vote. I've been to several of the cities listed but none of them stuck out as rude. There's rudeness everywhere, and just as many nice people to make up for it. People are people everywhere, just some have different mannerisms that you may not be used to and perceive it as being rude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top