U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwjake20 View Post
The northeast is an overcrowded, crime ridden, left-wing radical, intolerant, dump. No one who has lived anywhere else would ever want to live there.
That's rich. I used to live in the South. I moved to the Northeast and I'm absolutely in love with it. In Manhattan it's becoming increasingly difficult to find New Yorkers! Many if not most people I encounter at bars, social functions, etc. seem to be from Middle America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,676,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
People speaking proper English? In Philadelphia? As Daffy Duck once said ... "Ha ha. Ho ho. Hee hee. It is to laugh."
Yes proper english. We dont speak hick like the mid-west and country like the south. While "some" people here (usually the older folks) have regional accents, most the younger generation have no accent to speak off. Too many different cultures blended into one that it's hard to have a distinct accent. In fact, people here speak PERFECT english with clear words and no accent whatsoever.

Not that pop, finna, yall, fixin, reckon bull****.

Quote:
You've got better salaries, but that's only to cover the ridiculous cost of living.
The prices are higher than your average dust town. BUT there's a reason to the madness. It's just better here. More to do and see. I dont have to see miles and miles of nothing. Also there are affordable areas in the northeast aswell.

Quote:
Italians and Chinese have settled all over the country.
Yea but Italians elsewhere dont have the significance they have in NYC, Jersey or Phili. The northeast is the Italian mecca. Also I "reckon" chinese food here is better than Wisconsin. NYC has many chinatowns. I dont know if you can say that about many other places.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwjake20 View Post
The northeast is an overcrowded, crime ridden, left-wing radical, intolerant, dump. No one who has lived anywhere else would ever want to live there.
Having fun waching dust all day? Or how bout da good ole farm? You're probably rockin back and forth in your porch..chewing tabacco and with your shotgun and coonhound next to you.

Who the heck wants to live in Milwaukee? Translation : middle of nowhere, unimportant town.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,565,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yes proper english. We dont speak hick like the mid-west and country like the south. While "some" people here (usually the older folks) have regional accents, most the younger generation have no accent to speak off. Too many different cultures blended into one that it's hard to have a distinct accent. In fact, people here speak PERFECT english with clear words and no accent whatsoever.
I have to disagree with this one. Although, I do believe there is a general American accent rising. Being from Pittsburgh, I've noticed my speech is the same as my friends from Boston. This doesn't mean I have no accent whatsoever...this is an impossibility. English is a living language with words constantly being influenced by speech. Pronunciation and definition are constantly morphing, so even if you follow the lexical definitions and pronunciations perfectly, you're still speaking from an American dictionary from a specific time period.

And if anyone has authority or the right to "proper English", my guess is it would be the English.

Last edited by ainulinale; 02-25-2008 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,536,603 times
The Northeast is the greatest region in the country. Hands down!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,018 times
yo SuperMario, my grandfather was from the Bronx, and everyone knew it the moment he opened his mouth.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
yo SuperMario, my grandfather was from the Bronx, and everyone knew it the moment he opened his mouth.
Yeah but back in those days EVERYBODY had the accent. You come through the Bronx now, people dont even speak english. I gurantee you that you will not hear ONE person with that accent in the Bronx.

Most of the old-timers still have the accent.

For that classic NY accent you have to go to Staten Island.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM

32,366 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Quote:
How are the punctuation and capitalization skills in the Northeast? And how do you manage not to get your nose broken by calling people "hicks"?

Quote:
Yea but Italians elsewhere dont have the significance they have in NYC, Jersey or Phili.
I'll be sure to tell my Italian family members of their insignificance. They'll be quite disappointed.

Quote:
Also I "reckon" chinese food here is better than Wisconsin.
Having never eaten Chinese food in Wisconsin or New York, I cannot reckon anything of the sort. Try telling the restaurant owner of Chinese descent living in Wisconsin or Ohio or San Francisco that his/her food isn't authentic.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:47 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,701,925 times
Quote:
In fact, people here speak PERFECT english with clear words and no accent whatsoever.

Not that pop, finna, yall, fixin, reckon bull****.
Watch some BBC programming (from England) and you'll notice that many English people use the word "reckon" from time-to-time.

Perfect English? Umm, I think people in England would be closer to that then us.

If you want to get technical, we in North America speak a bastardized version of "English," blended by immigrants from dozens of countries who didn't speak English... so basically, our "English" is E.S.L.-English. (English as a Second Language)

Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,048,491 times
Baltimore is better than NYC, Boston, Philly, and DC because it is CHEAPER. That's why I love it here. But I seriously have a crush on all of the northeast. Like the posters above, I love the architecture of the cities of the northeast along with the age and density. I love the convenience of Amtrack which actually functions pretty well along this corridor. I love all of the little inlet towns along the ocean and bays. I love the variety. NYC during Christmas, Philly for New Years and the Mummers. The country's two most important cities: NYC and DC. The mountains and the ocean all in close proximity. The seafood from lobster up north to the Maryland crab honey. I love being able to take a train to Canada to see folks in Quebec. When you think about it, add Montreal to the equation. What more could you ask for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or