U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,205,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
But see how some people react and judge you when you have a Support the Troops bumper sticker, claim to love Red Lobster and Applebees, listen to country music, go to church, or vote Republican.
I dunno about the rest of this but you'd definitely get shat on for saying you love red lobster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,553,682 times
Despite living on the west coast for the past 19 years, I respect and miss the northeast. I haven't felt compelled to move back yet. The Northeast deserves kudos because it was the only region of the country that went ENTIRELY for Kerry in the '04 election. This makes that entire region always tops in my book.

This region wasn't fooled and you can bet that this country would've taken much better turns if the presidents were from this region rather than from the south.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 AM

217 posts, read 814,132 times
I love the no-nonsense New York City style of Judge Judy. Many may consider he quite brash, but she gets to the point and is witty at the same time.

On a side note, I knew a woman who worked in the courts with Judy (Judith) and she's actually very nice in person.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:23 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I dunno about the rest of this but you'd definitely get shat on for saying you love red lobster
and if he'd actually ate the seafood in the northeast, he'd understand why. Once taste of a lobster roll in Maine or a good seafood dinner at a NE style restaurant and he'd understand what crap Red Lobster is.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 AM

8,115 posts, read 17,337,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Despite living on the west coast for the past 19 years, I respect and miss the northeast. I haven't felt compelled to move back yet. The Northeast deserves kudos because it was the only region of the country that went ENTIRELY for Kerry in the '04 election. This makes that entire region always tops in my book.

This region wasn't fooled and you can bet that this country would've taken much better turns if the presidents were from this region rather than from the south.
While it is true the northeast states as a whole voted for Kerry, the voting pattern in many of the states (New Jersey, for instance) is not unlike most other places, geographically and culturally speaking. That is to say, the cities (high black population) vote Democrat, while suburban and rural counties (9 out of 21 counties for instance in New Jersey) voted for Bush over Kerry. I think the northeast votes higher Democrat because there is a higher % of settlement where people live in cities. This phenomeon is not confined to the northeast. Look at Fulton County Georgia or Denver County Colorado, two counties that went heavily Democrat in 2004, though the states voted majority for Bush. Even Texas, Bush's home state, the major cities of Austin and Houston went for Kerry 60%-40%, and even Dallas was a 50-50 vote.

I think the 'blue state' vs 'red state' thing is extremely overrated. Look at the county votes for affirmation:

Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,205,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
While it is true the northeast states as a whole voted for Kerry, the voting pattern in many of the states (New Jersey, for instance) is not unlike most other places, geographically and culturally speaking. That is to say, the cities (high black population) vote Democrat, while suburban and rural counties (9 out of 21 counties for instance in New Jersey) voted for Bush over Kerry. I think the northeast votes higher Democrat because there is a higher % of settlement where people live in cities. This phenomeon is not confined to the northeast. Look at Fulton County Georgia or Denver County Colorado, two counties that went heavily Democrat in 2004, though the states voted majority for Bush. Even Texas, Bush's home state, the major cities of Austin and Houston went for Kerry 60%-40%, and even Dallas was a 50-50 vote.

I think the 'blue state' vs 'red state' thing is extremely overrated. Look at the county votes for affirmation:

Well, In Massachusetts the cities (not that high black population) vote democrat while the suburban and rural counties ummmmmmmm still voted for Kerry? Ya, 10 out of 10 counties in MA. And Aroostook County Maine isn't exactly the big city either.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 AM

8,115 posts, read 17,337,266 times
Quote:
Well, In Massachusetts the cities (not that high black population) vote democrat while the suburban and rural counties ummmmmmmm still voted for Kerry? Ya, 10 out of 10 counties in MA. And Aroostook County Maine isn't exactly the big city either.
"Many" as in most, but not all. Massachusetts is an anamoly, by any description, in part because it's Kerry's state. Other anamolies hold, too, such as rural northern Minnesota. But, by and large, the demographic voting pattern is pretty consistent.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 AM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
Quote:
This is the thing. How come here in the NE I'll get shack unless my restaurant is either a place is either some exotic Cambodian family restaurant or some master chef's place in Manhattan? This si the kind of the snobbery I'm talking about. People have to prove their all so "classy" and "exquisite".

Old 02-28-2008, 09:24 AM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
I agree except about the accent part.

Just like in all regions of the country, people in the lower and working class northeast tend to speak in thicker dialects and use incorrect grammar. Working class New Yorkers have a thicker accent and are more laxed in speaking correctly. My blue-collar family members in Rochester, NY speak very nasally and tend to drop the "g" at the end of words like coming (comin'), going (goin'), etc. and tend to say things like "Where you been at?" or "I seen the accident."
Actually a lot of snobby, rich peopel in Long Island have very thick annoying accents.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,871,753 times
Terrapin2212 - that is absolutely not true. I've spent loads of time in NE and eaten a lot of local restaurants, and I can absolutely tell you that people love standard fare, if you know anything about 'new england style cooking' or 'yankee cooking' (as I've seen it called) of which my grandmother was the master, you'd know that it is not fussy or 'exotic' (your word not mine, I like Cambodian food). I've eaten at loads of oilcloth table family restaurants in New England that serve french fries in plastic baskets all of which were better than Red Lobster, and were not pretentious or fussy at all. So get off your bizarre high horse.

But Red Lobster sucks, that is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or