U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:23 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,825,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
What qualifies the rate there? I read 50k per 100,000 in an earlier reply.. it's muddling.
That's probably referring to the city. This goes by metropolitan area, which would include the rate of the MSA's main city and it's surrounding suburbs and towns. I think it's a better way of looking at things many times when not only comparing area crime rates, but economies, demographics, commute, amenities, etc. That's not to say that there aren't benefits at comparing neighrborhoods, cities themselves, CSAs, urban areas and even things at the state level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 04:35 PM

634 posts, read 491,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Were is El Paso and Rio Grande Valley? I thought both MSA's were over 900,000 and as far as I know both are low murder rate regions.
El Paso metro rate was 2.7, Brownsville-Harlingen was 1.6, McAllen/Edinburg/Mission was 3.8. I don't know why Charlotte/Mecklenburg was not listed.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:42 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,825,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
What's going on with San Juan that it's so violent? It's ranked #1 murder rate. The murder rate is even higher than America's roughest cities New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, Baltimore, St Louis, Oakland etc. I never would have thought that about any place in Puerto Rico. I always had Puerto Rico pictured in my mind as a safe, easy going, laid back place, sort've a tropical paradise, somewhat similar to Hawaii. Honolulu is the safest city on that list. How ironic the safest city and the most dangerous city in the United States are both away from the mainland and on tropical islands. I'm really shocked to see San Juan at the top of that chart, though.

Not surprised to see Austin is 4th safest. I didn't see El Paso anywhere on the list, but, it's murder rate is usually lower than Austin's. Another irony, El Paso, one of the safest big cities in the United States and right across the Rio Grande from Juarez, Mexico, one of the most dangerous cities in the world.
The thing is that none of the cities you mention have the high amount of economic disparity, neglect and social issues that cities in Puerto Rico have, back then or now. Maybe Detroit in terms of debt, but at least Detroit is still in a U.S. state and benefits greatly from having healthy suburbs. San Juan also has a lot of issues with drug smuggling and is a popular drug route. In other metrics, Puerto Rico still fares better than other Caribbean islands and countries such as Haiti, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc. Not sure how Puerto Rico would turn out if it was an independent country though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Overrated.

Statistically this is the safest period in human history.

Murder stats are just ways for rich white people to pat themselves on the back.
At the very least, the majority of the U.S. now is still statistically safer than 10 years ago and definitely than the late 20th century. As for the world, it's probably debatable and definitely on a country-by-country basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Were is El Paso and Rio Grande Valley? I thought both MSA's were over 900,000 and as far as I know both are low murder rate regions.
The El Paso MSA is a little short of 900k, but I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses 900k this year or the next. The CSA has over a million people. For what it's worth though, the El Paso MSA had a murder rate of 2.7, which puts it higher than Austin as far as Texas metros are concerned.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:19 PM

97 posts, read 60,336 times
So must the k in 50k mean killed? Are the rate amounts each per 100,000 dwellers?

Old 10-10-2016, 02:44 PM

2,995 posts, read 2,152,204 times
It would really be interesting to see the murder rates by zip code.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:17 PM

922 posts, read 1,018,296 times
Wondering if it was the 27th straight year that the murder rate in the New Orleans area was highest among U.S. metros because 2015 happened to be the 27th straight year that Louisiana's murder rate was the highest among states.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,037,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
The thing is that none of the cities you mention have the high amount of economic disparity, neglect and social issues that cities in Puerto Rico have, back then or now. Maybe Detroit in terms of debt, but at least Detroit is still in a U.S. state and benefits greatly from having healthy suburbs. San Juan also has a lot of issues with drug smuggling and is a popular drug route. In other metrics, Puerto Rico still fares better than other Caribbean islands and countries such as Haiti, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc. Not sure how Puerto Rico would turn out if it was an independent country though...
Puerto Rico has been an uptick in violent crime, think it was half the current rate a decade ago. But a high murder rate is typical of Latin America

Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 PM

3,258 posts, read 1,638,323 times
I always find Grand Rapids metro interesting. This isn't the first time that it has made the list of metropolitan areas with very low homicide rates.

There must be something culturally going on there that is different then the rest of the country.

I know once I was on a greyhound bus with a women from Western Michigan and this was before smartphones and we talked for hours. She was telling me about how many non-profit organizations there were in Western Michigan. I would venture to guess based on her opinion, that Western Michigan is very close-knit with strong sense of community that likely makes it easier for the city and law enforcement.

This is from 2015, but I guess the city of Grand Rapids had only six homicides in 2015.

Grand Rapids revels in its low murder rate

I have also noticed that many midwestern metropolitan areas like Buffalo and Cincinnati have extremely high rates with-in the core city but the suburbs have very few homicides, so the rate for the metropolitan areas is lower then the national average.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:30 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,440,807 times
Default boredatwork

Alot of these metros are this way because the city numbers completely skewer the metro numbers. Baltimore for instance is nothing like Baltimore county but since theres so many murders in the city one would think the whole metro is a problem. DC's suburbs have way more homicides than Baltimores but since DC's homicides arent that high the rate for the metro is lower. Baltimore county could probably have 0 homicides and still have a higher metro rate than most areas because Baltimore city just has that many murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or