U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,825,971 times

Advertisements

2015 Murder rate for all U.S. metro areas above 900k.

San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, Puerto Rico - 20.6 (U.S. territory)
New Orleans-Metairie, LA - 16.3
Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD - 13.1
Memphis, TN-MS-AR - 11.5
Birmingham-Hoover, AL - 11.1
St. Louis, MO-IL - 10.5
Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI - 9.8
Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI - 8.9
Kansas City, MO-KS - 8.4
Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN - 8.2
Tulsa, OK - 8.1
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC - 8.0
Jacksonville, FL - 7.5
Richmond, VA - 7.5
Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN - 7.5
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 7.4
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI - 7.1
Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV - 6.9
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX - 6.9
Oklahoma City, OK - 6.8
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL - 6.6
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA - 6.2
Albuquerque, NM - 6.1
Fresno, CA - 6.1
Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN - 5.5
Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA - 5.5
San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX - 5.4
San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA - 5.3
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV - 5.3
Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL - 5.1

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA - 4.9
Sacramento–Roseville–Arden-Arcade, CA - 4.9
United States - 4.9

Columbus, OH - 4.7
Pittsburgh, PA - 4.7
Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN - 4.6
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ - 4.5
Tucson, AZ - 4.5
Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT - 4.4
Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY - 4.4
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA - 4.4
Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL - 4.0
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX - 4.0
Rochester, NY - 3.8
Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO - 3.8
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA - 3.0
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI - 2.7
Salt Lake City, UT - 2.6
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT - 2.5
San Diego-Carlsbad, CA - 2.5
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA - 2.3
Austin-Round Rock, TX - 2.2
Providence-Warwick, RI-MA - 2.2
Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI - 1.7
Urban Honolulu, HI - 1.5

A few metro areas such NYC, Boston, Charlotte, Cleveland and probably some others didn't have any data.

2015 in general saw an increase in the national murder rate from 4.4 in 2014 to 4.9 in 2015. I can't say that 2016 is looking any better either...

Taken from https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 10:43 PM

187 posts, read 158,660 times
Now this is purely anedocatly, but the city that I live in had a really bad year for murders last year, but this year there has been less than half of what there was last year. Do you think this is just a random uptick such as in 2012 or do you think this is more? Maybe involving the increasing use of Herion and pills?

Old 10-09-2016, 03:58 AM

1,241 posts, read 979,452 times
Heroin could be one reason, a couple others could be BLM vs police and also the declining prison population. The prison population peaked around 2007. Maybe now it's dropped enough to a point where it's starting to affect murder rates. Combined with heroin and the police issues lately it could get worse the next few years.

Memphis is at its crack epidemic levels of violence in 2016.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-09-2016 at 04:21 AM..

Old 10-09-2016, 06:00 AM

2,998 posts, read 2,155,006 times
What's going on with San Juan that it's so violent? It's ranked #1 murder rate. The murder rate is even higher than America's roughest cities New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, Baltimore, St Louis, Oakland etc. I never would have thought that about any place in Puerto Rico. I always had Puerto Rico pictured in my mind as a safe, easy going, laid back place, sort've a tropical paradise, somewhat similar to Hawaii. Honolulu is the safest city on that list. How ironic the safest city and the most dangerous city in the United States are both away from the mainland and on tropical islands. I'm really shocked to see San Juan at the top of that chart, though.

Not surprised to see Austin is 4th safest. I didn't see El Paso anywhere on the list, but, it's murder rate is usually lower than Austin's. Another irony, El Paso, one of the safest big cities in the United States and right across the Rio Grande from Juarez, Mexico, one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-09-2016 at 06:13 AM..

Old 10-09-2016, 07:54 AM

151 posts, read 83,844 times
Overrated.

Statistically this is the safest period in human history.

Murder stats are just ways for rich white people to pat themselves on the back.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:23 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,615,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Overrated.

Statistically this is the safest period in human history.

Murder stats are just ways for rich white people to pat themselves on the back.
Yes and no

A city that has a murder rate of 50k per 100,000 has serious crime issues no matter how you slice it

Old 10-09-2016, 12:17 PM

3,510 posts, read 1,709,849 times
Were is El Paso and Rio Grande Valley? I thought both MSA's were over 900,000 and as far as I know both are low murder rate regions.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:46 PM

187 posts, read 158,660 times
You know, I've looked into the BLM issue and it doesn't seem like that's what is going on to be honest because the amount of police shootings are the same as they were before this BLM stuff started happening so I don't think police are getting less effective. I personal think it is a combination of a random uptick and the herion trade.

Now to be fair to the idea of decreased police effectiveness, it could be possible that many police departments are changing up their policing styles and as a result of this changing period there could be less effectiveness as of right now.

Again, there has been decreases in other cities like New York, and the murders in Chicago are actually starting to slow, September this year had like 20 less murders than in the September of last year in Chicago.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:52 PM

97 posts, read 60,390 times
What qualifies the rate there? I read 50k per 100,000 in an earlier reply.. it's muddling.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:00 PM

1,241 posts, read 979,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
You know, I've looked into the BLM issue and it doesn't seem like that's what is going on to be honest because the amount of police shootings are the same as they were before this BLM stuff started happening so I don't think police are getting less effective. I personal think it is a combination of a random uptick and the herion trade.

Now to be fair to the idea of decreased police effectiveness, it could be possible that many police departments are changing up their policing styles and as a result of this changing period there could be less effectiveness as of right now.

Again, there has been decreases in other cities like New York, and the murders in Chicago are actually starting to slow, September this year had like 20 less murders than in the September of last year in Chicago.
Pretty sure September as far as murders go was exactly the same this year as last year. And there were 2 more shootings this year than last. And I think September was last year's deadliest month in Chicago.

Also, I don't think NYC crime trends are representative of America anymore. It's the center of wealth. It's sort of like Moscow. Moscow had its dangerous period like NY 20 years ago but it's safe by Russian standards today the same way NY is. There's too much wealth in NY for it to be a dangerous city again. It might see an eventual uptick but I don't think NY is going to revert back to crack epidemic levels of violence like some cities are anytime soon. A few decades from now you never know.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-09-2016 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or