U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 02:28 PM

390 posts, read 231,618 times

Advertisements

This past summer we drove out west to the Black Hills, Yellow Stone, and Grand Tetons. The mountains out there are grand and strikingly beautiful. I wish we had something similar in the eastern half of the country.

Hiking through the mountains and back country was a bit of a let down however. At least where we hiked. I realized It's hard to compete with the sheer lush beauty of the eastern mountains when you are actually up inside them hiking.

A few pics from KY for the hikers among you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...HSfkAi4QsAQITg

Last edited by ms12345; 10-09-2016 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 05:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,777 posts, read 54,424,430 times
One of the nice things about the US is the variety of natural beauty. I have been in about 40 states and hiked many mountains. There are a lot of differences, but all have been beautiful. Around here the top of the Olympics are really spectacular, but I prefer the temperate rainforests, with all of the moss, nurse logs and stumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Hiking in the mountains-img_0040.jpg   Hiking in the mountains-img_0042.jpg  

Last edited by Hemlock140; 10-09-2016 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Add pic

Old 10-11-2016, 07:08 PM

1,258 posts, read 699,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
One of the nice things about the US is the variety of natural beauty. I have been in about 40 states and hiked many mountains. There are a lot of differences, but all have been beautiful. Around here the top of the Olympics are really spectacular, but I prefer the temperate rainforests, with all of the moss, nurse logs and stumps.
This! I grew up in New England and now live in Washington and it's about as lush here as you can get lol. I'm referring to western Wa btw. I try to hit the trails regularly and post a bunch of pics/videos on my instagram if you want to check em out to see what I mean

https://www.instagram.com/fluffydelusions/

EDIT: Here's a few I took this past week

Old 10-11-2016, 07:10 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,207,541 times
we backpacked for years in the Emigrant Wilderness north of Yosemite (Ansel Adams scenery anyone) its gorgeous and not crowded-- also the Trinity Alps in CA....

I think you would find plenty of scenery there.... and exercise, lol....

Old 10-12-2016, 01:09 PM

3,082 posts, read 2,114,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
This past summer we drove out west to the Black Hills, Yellow Stone, and Grand Tetons. The mountains out there are grand and strikingly beautiful. I wish we had something similar in the eastern half of the country.

Hiking through the mountains and back country was a bit of a let down however. At least where we hiked. I realized It's hard to compete with the sheer lush beauty of the eastern mountains when you are actually up inside them hiking.
That is the difference between the high plains to alpine biotic zones of the Rocky Mtns compared to the Riparian zones of the Appalachians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or