U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 09:06 PM

6,325 posts, read 7,003,601 times

Advertisements

I haven't spent time in Albany, Hartford or Syracuse but I doubt any of them matches Cleveland in urbanity. Providence, Columbus, Richmond are all probably close to or in the same tier, but you seem to want more. Really from your list you're gonna have to make Pittsburgh, Philly, Minneapolis or Baltimore work. I know its reputation for crime is bad but there are some really nice, urban neighborhoods in Baltimore. The other three definitely work if you can find a place within your budget.

Among those not on your list, I'd look at Atlanta. It's got a very good urban bang for your buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 09:11 PM

794 posts, read 1,006,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I haven't spent time in Albany, Hartford or Syracuse but I doubt any of them matches Cleveland in urbanity. Providence, Columbus, Richmond are all probably close to or in the same tier, but you seem to want more. Really from your list you're gonna have to make Pittsburgh, Philly, Minneapolis or Baltimore work. I know its reputation for crime is bad but there are some really nice, urban neighborhoods in Baltimore. The other three definitely work if you can find a place within your budget.

Among those not on your list, I'd look at Atlanta. It's got a very good urban bang for your buck.
Thank you for the advice!

Old 10-11-2016, 02:17 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,633,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
You want urban, low crime, and low budget. Have you thought about travelling back in time to NYC in the 20s?
Quote:

That seems like a good recommendation. I love Philly and its rents/housing prices are reasonable for a major, city IMO.

Albany is pretty urban but it's tiny.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:12 AM

56,891 posts, read 81,238,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That seems like a good recommendation. I love Philly and its rents/housing prices are reasonable for a major, city IMO.

Albany is pretty urban but it's tiny.
Yes, but Providence is only about 18-19 square miles, while Albany is about 21 square miles. Albany does have less people than Providence. On the other hand, I believe that Albany is more affordable.

I'm not sure about Hartford, but parts of Syracuse can be quite urban particularly north of Downtown and some of the neighborhoods in other sections. It is only about 25 square miles, but is in between Albany and Providence in population. It may be the most affordable city on the list as well. Here is some info on that side of town: Northside UP - The Northside Urban Partnership | Syracuse, NY

Welcome to the District of Hawley-Green!

NEHDA

Court-Woodlawn Task Force

SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

This former village may be worth a look: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-11-2016 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 10:20 AM

2,169 posts, read 1,473,188 times
Quote:

Philly may have now become expensive to the point where you are going to have to live in a slum at the price you are looking for. (What is your max rent desired?) Baltimore may be the same due to many areas of blight in the city leaving relatively few unblighted areas. Minneapolis I'm not sure, but doesn't get you east of Cleveland as you wanted. I think you could probably find what you're looking for in Pittsburgh. Rents have gone up there too but look into area of the North Side or Bloomfield where you will be in an urban area and have good transportation options, but the rents are still not that high. It will probably be older housing though at that price, if that doesn't bother you.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:04 PM

21,237 posts, read 30,495,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Hi guys, I currently live in Cleveland and am ready for a change of scenery. Cleveland has grown old to me and the crime is really out of hand here (I know, I know, every city has crime ). The blight too for that matter. I am a single, late twenties male, looking for an urban city. Overall size doesn't really matter to me as long as it has that "city feel" to it. I really do like rowhouses, but that is more of a bonus instead of a requirement. As far as budget goes, I don't have a degree, so my salary would most likely only be in the $30k range, but I do also have 3 rental units in Cleveland that make me money, I get a monthly disability check from the VA, and I also make decent side money selling things on Amazon. So with all that combined, I suppose I could easily bring in about $50k/year.

I don't care about nightlife so much because I pretty much never go out. Diversity is cool and I do prefer a more diverse place if possible. I would like some place east of Cleveland. I want to transition my way further that way if possible. Crime sucks, so some place that is at least a little safer than Cleveland. I have a phobia of cockroaches, so preferably not a place that has a higher than average amount of roaches!

I have compiled a small list of places that I would possibly be interested in:

Albany
Providence (most likely out of my budget)
Hartford
Syracuse
Richmond (may have too many roaches)
Columbus
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia (possibly out of my budget)
Minneapolis (most likely out of my budget)
Baltimore (most likely too much crime)

I have never visited these places and I am obviously no expert, so some of them may not fit my bill. What are some other places that you guys could recommend? Or are there some on that list that I should eliminate?
Given all of your criteria including cost of living and desire to be more/less "bug-less" I would recommend Grand Rapids MI. It's a clean, fairly safe city with a lot going on and is fairly diverse.

About Experience Grand Rapids | Mission, Partners & News

Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Philly may have now become expensive to the point where you are going to have to live in a slum at the price you are looking for. (What is your max rent desired?) Baltimore may be the same due to many areas of blight in the city leaving relatively few unblighted areas. Minneapolis I'm not sure, but doesn't get you east of Cleveland as you wanted. I think you could probably find what you're looking for in Pittsburgh. Rents have gone up there too but look into area of the North Side or Bloomfield where you will be in an urban area and have good transportation options, but the rents are still not that high. It will probably be older housing though at that price, if that doesn't bother you.
I'd be looking to spend no more than $700 for a one bedroom apartment. I may be able to stretch it to $750.

You're right about Minneapolis not being east of Cleveland. I have always been intrigued by Minny, so I threw it on my list.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given all of your criteria including cost of living and desire to be more/less "bug-less" I would recommend Grand Rapids MI. It's a clean, fairly safe city with a lot going on and is fairly diverse.

About Experience Grand Rapids | Mission, Partners & News
I mean I know roaches are going to be everywhere, but I'm sure there are 10x more in say Florida than Philly...

Old 10-11-2016, 02:27 PM

2,169 posts, read 1,473,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
I'd be looking to spend no more than $700 for a one bedroom apartment. I may be able to stretch it to $750.

You're right about Minneapolis not being east of Cleveland. I have always been intrigued by Minny, so I threw it on my list.
You can get a half decent studio in Pittsburgh for around $700. I just took a quick look and this one example is in a central good location in Shadyside. If you want a bigger place you can probably find a 1 br for the same price but in a less convenient area.

Highland Manor Apartments 341 S Highland Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15206 - realtor.com®

If you want to find out specifically where to look, I'd recommend starting a thread with the details of what you want on the Pittsburgh city-data forum -- you will get some good advice there.

Last edited by _Buster; 10-11-2016 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
You can get a half decent studio in Pittsburgh for around $700. I just took a quick look and this one example is in a central good location in Shadyside. If you want a bigger place you can probably find a 1 br for the same price but in a less convenient area.

Highland Manor Apartments 341 S Highland Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15206 - realtor.com®

If you want to find out specifically where to look, I'd recommend starting a thread with the details of what you want on the Pittsburgh city-data forum -- you will get some good advice there.
Thank you. That studio looks very nice.

I've been scouring Trulia, Padmapper for rentals in Philly and there seems to be quite a selection at $700 and under!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.