U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2016, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
794 posts, read 1,003,284 times
Reputation: 384

Advertisements

Hi guys, I currently live in Cleveland and am ready for a change of scenery. Cleveland has grown old to me and the crime is really out of hand here (I know, I know, every city has crime ). The blight too for that matter. I am a single, late twenties male, looking for an urban city. Overall size doesn't really matter to me as long as it has that "city feel" to it. I really do like rowhouses, but that is more of a bonus instead of a requirement. As far as budget goes, I don't have a degree, so my salary would most likely only be in the $30k range, but I do also have 3 rental units in Cleveland that make me money, I get a monthly disability check from the VA, and I also make decent side money selling things on Amazon. So with all that combined, I suppose I could easily bring in about $50k/year.

I don't care about nightlife so much because I pretty much never go out. Diversity is cool and I do prefer a more diverse place if possible. I would like some place east of Cleveland. I want to transition my way further that way if possible. Crime sucks, so some place that is at least a little safer than Cleveland. I have a phobia of cockroaches, so preferably not a place that has a higher than average amount of roaches!

I have compiled a small list of places that I would possibly be interested in:

Albany
Providence (most likely out of my budget)
Hartford
Syracuse
Richmond (may have too many roaches)
Columbus
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia (possibly out of my budget)
Minneapolis (most likely out of my budget)
Baltimore (most likely too much crime)

I have never visited these places and I am obviously no expert, so some of them may not fit my bill. What are some other places that you guys could recommend? Or are there some on that list that I should eliminate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2016, 04:43 PM
 
6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times
Reputation: 10260
I haven't lived in any of those places, but other than Minneapolis I have been to the rest of those cities many times in my life. Personally I wouldn't live in any of them.

Look at smaller towns 50 miles away from the bigger cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
794 posts, read 1,003,284 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I haven't lived in any of those places, but other than Minneapolis I have been to the rest of those cities many times in my life. Personally I wouldn't live in any of them.

Look at smaller towns 50 miles away from the bigger cities.
But that's not what I'm looking for.... I clearly stated I am looking for an urban city. If you can recommend a smaller town that is urban, I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 05:29 PM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
But that's not what I'm looking for.... I clearly stated I am looking for an urban city. If you can recommend a smaller town that is urban, I'm all ears.
If you are open to small towns/cities with a lower COL and some urbanity, perhaps look into Geneva and/or Auburn NY. Auburn has been revitalizing its Downtown and Geneva has a pretty urban Downtown for its size with rowhouses on South Main Street. Both are in between Syracuse and Rochester. I would also suggest Ithaca in this regard, but it may be a but pricy. Auburn Downtown BID

Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!
Welcome to South Main Street, Geneva

In the Albany area, you could look into small cities like Cohoes or Rensselaer, both of which has some rowhouses. Watervliet, a small city of about 10,000 is the second most dense incorporated municipality in Upstate NY(Kenmore, a village adjacent to Buffalo is first). Parts of Troy and Schenectady may have something as well.

I believe that there are some small cities and boroughs in Western PA that may be urban enough as well.

Buffalo and Rochester may be up for consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
794 posts, read 1,003,284 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you are open to small towns/cities with a lower COL and some urbanity, perhaps look into Geneva and/or Auburn NY. Auburn has been revitalizing its Downtown and Geneva has a pretty urban Downtown for its size with rowhouses on South Main Street. Both are in between Syracuse and Rochester. I would also suggest Ithaca in this regard, but it may be a but pricy. Auburn Downtown BID

Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!
Welcome to South Main Street, Geneva

In the Albany area, you could look into small cities like Cohoes or Rensselaer, both of which has some rowhouses. Watervliet, a small city of about 10,000 is the second most dense incorporated municipality in Upstate NY(Kenmore, a village adjacent to Buffalo is first). Parts of Troy and Schenectady may have something as well.

I believe that there are some small cities and boroughs in Western PA that may be urban enough as well.

Buffalo and Rochester may be up for consideration.
If I were to consider a small town, I would honestly like for it to be right outside a large city. I am open minded and will definitely look into your recommendations though!

I think I will have to rule out Buffalo however. I have read that it is very similar to Cleveland. I personally don't find Cleveland all that urban outside of Downtown and maybe Ohio City and University Circle areas. Rochester has interested me although I can't seem to find many photos of that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 06:03 PM
 
56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Reputation: 12540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
If I were to consider a small town, I would honestly like for it to be right outside a large city. I am open minded and will definitely look into your recommendations though!

I think I will have to rule out Buffalo however. I have read that it is very similar to Cleveland. I personally don't find Cleveland all that urban outside of Downtown and maybe Ohio City and University Circle areas. Rochester has interested me although I can't seem to find many photos of that city.
This may help in regards to Rochester: Rochester NY picture thread

Some Downtown Syracuse pictures: My Pictures of Downtown Syracuse, NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-10-2016 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
794 posts, read 1,003,284 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This may help in regards to Rochester: Rochester NY picture thread
Doh! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 06:42 PM
 
6,469 posts, read 3,464,685 times
Reputation: 10260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
But that's not what I'm looking for.... I clearly stated I am looking for an urban city. If you can recommend a smaller town that is urban, I'm all ears.
Many towns within shooting distance of bigger cities are urban. Now here around Boston, I wouldn't suggest Brockton or Lowell. I don't think Springfield is all that great either. There are smaller New England urban areas like Concord NH or Bangor ME, but that puts you up in a corner of the country which you may or may not like. Burlington VT is a cool college town IMO. Not too sure about New Haven and south on Rte 95 heading to NY. Very urban, but some of those cities don't have the best reputation although they are trying to change (like Bridgeport).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
558 posts, read 317,020 times
Reputation: 838
You want urban, low crime, and low budget. Have you thought about travelling back in time to NYC in the 20s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2016, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
794 posts, read 1,003,284 times
Reputation: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
You want urban, low crime, and low budget. Have you thought about travelling back in time to NYC in the 20s?
Have you thought about not responding to my thread unless you have something meaningful to contribute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top