U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:08 AM

7,703 posts, read 4,564,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
Owning a car in Boston is a nightmare. When I lived in Boston only a small few of my friend had cars. In most (all?) neighborhoods of Boston/Cambridge/Somerville a car isn't a necessity.
I think it really depends on the neighborhood. While I think a car is an unnecessary expense, and I wouldn't advise anyone in Boston to buy one, it isn't that big of a hassle.

I lived within a 3 blocks of this (not sharing my exact street), on a street that looked identical.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3455...7i13312!8i6656

Parking was occasionally frustrating, but there isn't daily alternate side of the street parking like in NYC, so you don't have to move the car very often. We'd usually drive if we had to go somewhere in Cambridge or Brookline. I think we explored more of the city with a car than we would have without one. I surely would never have eaten at Singh's Roti or Anh Hong without a car.

I think you have to live Downtown or in the Back Bay for parking to be so difficult that it negates the benefit of car ownership. Again, I wouldn't buy a car in Boston, but I surely wouldn't dump one I already owned if I were moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Ehh having a car seems like a huge PITA in much of NYC. Driving around the block for an hour looking for a spot is never fun. (Finding parking is often a hassle in Kensington, Brooklyn where I have family)
Well, you can buy/rent a parking space. Or valet. Or have a driver. I have been in much "worse" cities in Asia for owning a car but fortunately in those places my friends/family could afford having a personal driver.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:52 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,250,419 times
Outside of NYC, none. NYC is the only U.S. city where a majority of households don't own cars.

In every other U.S. city, cars dominate.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 AM

1,179 posts, read 658,601 times
A lot of Philadelphia you can easily live car free. I own a car only because I used to work in a suburb that wasn't convenient to a commuter train. Now I work back in the city, and I hardly ever touch my car. It'll sometimes sit there for weeks without being touched (I last filled my tank in early September). Also, trying to find parking in South Philly is a royal pain so its always easier, cheaper, less stressful, and oftentimes quicker just to take the subway or bus.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:48 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
I lived in both DC and Philly and would say either is about equal in terms of parking issues with a more favorable edge to Philly for ease of owning a car. Both suffer tremendously in neighborhoods where multi level brownstones have been subdivided. NYC and San Francisco are two cities where it's a huge pain in my opinion pretty much across the board, and beyond them doable elsewhere other than certain inner city neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or