U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 PM

30 posts, read 36,831 times

Advertisements

I realize that it's a good idea to have your own car if you're going to the suburbs for something or going on a trip, but there's certainly cities like New York where there's this generally understood concept that a car is just too much of a hassle unless you have like a chauffeur or something.

On the other hand, there are places like Los Angeles where people say everything is so spread out and the public transport is so poor that you definitely need a car, although maybe not to the extent that you would need it in a rural area.

So, to make a long story short, are there any other American where you probably shouldn't have a car, besides New York?

Last edited by JMT; 10-10-2016 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: North American cities only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 06:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,454,583 times
Chicago, San Francisco.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:29 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,935,347 times
It's not really so much about "cities" where you probably shouldn't own a car as it is "AREAS of cities" where you probably shouldn't own a car. Even in NYC there are areas where having a car is very useful: Staten Island, some parts of Queens, etc.

In Washington DC, in the densest neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, Logan Circle and Adams Morgan having a car is fairly impractical as it more efficient and faster to just walk to local places because of how densely packed those areas are, and also because onstreet parking is scarce and offstreet parking is expensive. The people that have cars generally are either a) very wealthy and so can afford an offstreet space or b) have some kind of specific job/hobby function where they need to have access to car sometimes but not everyday, so it's not so bad to hunt for a spot now and then.

Then there are other parts of DC (for example, upper NW, or east of the Anacostia) where owning a car is no more difficult than in the suburbs and no less useful.

Last edited by stateofnature; 10-10-2016 at 06:46 PM..

Old 10-10-2016, 06:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 4,578,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
It's not really so much about "cities" where you probably shouldn't own a car as it is "AREAS of cities" where you probably shouldn't own a car. Even in NYC there are areas where having a car is very useful: Staten Island, some parts of Queens, etc.

In Washington DC, in the densest neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, Logan Circle and Adams Morgan having a car is fairly impractical as it more efficient and faster to just walk to local places because of how densely packed those areas, and also because onstreet parking is scarce and offstreet parking expensive. The people that have cars generally are either a) very wealthy and so can afford an offstreet space or b) have some kind of specific job/hobby function where they need to have access to car sometimes but not everyday, so it's not so bad to hunt for a spot now and then.

Then there are other parts of DC (for example, upper NW, or east of the Anacostia) where owning a car is no more difficult than the suburbs and no less useful.
Agreed. When I moved back to NYC, from NoVa, I had a car in Queens (Sunnyside). I never used it, but parking in the neighborhood wasn't that big of a hassle. Eventually sold it, because there was no reason to have it. Later on, I moved to Ft Greene, Brooklyn and got a job they gave me a company car. I never drove it, but parking was a huge hassle.

Had a car on both the North and South sides of Chicago. No problem.

In Boston, had a car in Jamaica Plain (no problem) and the South End (mildly annoying).

Old 10-10-2016, 07:54 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,023,417 times
If you don't have a driveway or a designated parking spot, then, I would think, you shouldn't have a car.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:39 PM

6,318 posts, read 6,979,763 times
The gist of your question has been asked many times on these forums, but you did phrase it a little differently by asking where you "shouldn't" have a car rather than where you can live without one, or where it's more convenient to not have one, etc.

Anyway, imo strictly speaking, there is no place where you shouldn't have one if you have enough money. With enough money you can make it convenient anywhere. But if you're asking where I would live without a car, based on my experiences, I would do that in NYC, Chicago (I've lived here without a car and it was the right decision), DC (I lived here with a car and it was used often, but I think I could go without one as well. Not as much of a hassle as in Chicago where it can snow for 7 months), Boston, Philly and SF. Of these places, I am certain I could live happily in certain neighborhoods without a car. Now there are a few more I think might be good, but I am not as certain. These are Seattle, Portland and (believe it or not) LA. After that, there are more cities that I feel I could get by without a car, but that's certainly not the same as being better of without one.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:26 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,644,008 times
Philadelphia too if you lived in the Center city.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:13 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
The gist of your question has been asked many times on these forums, but you did phrase it a little differently by asking where you "shouldn't" have a car rather than where you can live without one, or where it's more convenient to not have one, etc.

Anyway, imo strictly speaking, there is no place where you shouldn't have one if you have enough money. With enough money you can make it convenient anywhere. But if you're asking where I would live without a car, based on my experiences, I would do that in NYC, Chicago (I've lived here without a car and it was the right decision), DC (I lived here with a car and it was used often, but I think I could go without one as well. Not as much of a hassle as in Chicago where it can snow for 7 months), Boston, Philly and SF. Of these places, I am certain I could live happily in certain neighborhoods without a car. Now there are a few more I think might be good, but I am not as certain. These are Seattle, Portland and (believe it or not) LA. After that, there are more cities that I feel I could get by without a car, but that's certainly not the same as being better of without one.
Ehh having a car seems like a huge PITA in much of NYC. Driving around the block for an hour looking for a spot is never fun. (Finding parking is often a hassle in Kensington, Brooklyn where I have family)

Old 10-11-2016, 06:52 AM

128 posts, read 110,051 times
Owning a car in Boston is a nightmare. When I lived in Boston only a small few of my friend had cars. In most (all?) neighborhoods of Boston/Cambridge/Somerville a car isn't a necessity.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 AM

133 posts, read 90,385 times
Memphis, you'll get it stolen, or car-jacked

Last edited by TyVincente; 10-11-2016 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or