U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 08:12 PM

15 posts, read 10,347 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, my spouse and I are thinking about moving out of Southern California next year. We have been out here for a little under a decade and are getting tired of the extremely fast paced lifestyle, cost of living and distance from our family (who live in the Midwest).

We are considering both Columbus, Oh and Philadelphia, PA. Columbus, OH is mostly a consideration because it's closer to family. Philadelphia would be 7 hours away, but that would be so much closer than where we are living now. It's a great city though and we know it pretty well. However, we wonder if we would have more job opportunities with higher pay in Philadelphia.

Both of us work as educators and we both write as well. We love to hike (even when it's really cold out!), go to museums, festivals, concerts and other fun events. We are mostly vegan. We also like to take day trips and weekend trips to new, fun places.

We would rent first and would like to get a 2 bedroom place (townhouse ideally) in a semi-urban area (with amenities nearby, but not totally car dependent) for less than $1300 a month. Also, does anyone have any idea about salaries for teachers and opportunities for writing in either city?

We don't have kids yet, but that is likely to change in the next couple of years. We would like to get set up in a new city first.

So with this, I would love to hear some opinions (please be nice to both cities!) about where we should go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 08:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madamesosostris View Post
Hello Everyone, my spouse and I are thinking about moving out of Southern California next year. We have been out here for a little under a decade and are getting tired of the extremely fast paced lifestyle, cost of living and distance from our family (who live in the Midwest).

We are considering both Columbus, Oh and Philadelphia, PA. Columbus, OH is mostly a consideration because it's closer to family. Philadelphia would be 7 hours away, but that would be so much closer than where we are living now. It's a great city though and we know it pretty well. However, we wonder if we would have more job opportunities with higher pay in Philadelphia.

Both of us work as educators and we both write as well. We love to hike (even when it's really cold out!), go to museums, festivals, concerts and other fun events. We are mostly vegan. We also like to take day trips and weekend trips to new, fun places.

We would rent first and would like to get a 2 bedroom place (townhouse ideally) in a semi-urban area (with amenities nearby, but not totally car dependent) for less than $1300 a month. Also, does anyone have any idea about salaries for teachers and opportunities for writing in either city?

We don't have kids yet, but that is likely to change in the next couple of years. We would like to get set up in a new city first.

So with this, I would love to hear some opinions (please be nice to both cities!) about where we should go.
In my opinion both are great cities and it will mostly come down to if you want a mid-sized city or a much larger city, Columbus metro has 2 million while Philly metro has 6 million.

Columbus City Schools is the largest district in Ohio. As I imagine the case is in Philadelphia you likely would receive a higher salary in the well-off surrounding suburbs than the city itself i.e. Upper Arlington, Dublin, New Albany etc. I can't speak to education job specifics but I imagine your money might go further in Columbus while due to sheer size there may be opportunities in Philadelphia/Southeastern PA.

Columbus is only an hour from Hocking Hills State Park which is a 2,300 acre forest and offers hiking, boating, rock climbing, canoeing, swimming, hunting, fishing etc.

I enjoy the Columbus Museum of Art, Billy Ireland Cartoon museum The Wexner Arts and Cultural Center, CoSci (center of science and industry). Columbus benefits from having OSU which attracts very high profile politicians, scholars, media personalities etc. For example, Hillary Clinton just spoke on campus today and it was absolutely free from the public attend. However, Philadelphia is going to offer a lot more museum wise.

Columbus has a ton of festivals. Italian festival, jazz and ribs, pride, community fest, high ball on halloween, Greek festival, Oktoberfest, The state fair, The Arnold etc.

Overall I love Columbus. If you want to live in a politically relevant city, a state capital with a massive flagship university, socially progressive atmosphere, reasonable cost of living, manageable traffic etc. Then you might enjoy it as well. Columbus is a much younger city than Philadelphia and is still developing, lacks public transit but has a lot of projects are occurring right now and the city continues to grow and attract amenities with each year. Philly on the other hand is much larger, much more urbanized and likely has the same amenities albeit on a much, much larger scale.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:34 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,656,174 times
Good luck in Philly getting something in a good neighborhood for $1200. Everything on the east coast is more expensive - you're probably used to that in California, though. Culturally, Philly is going to offer a ton more than Cbus, and it has amazing proximity to DC, NYC, and so on. Cbus is going to be cheaper and holds its own for a city its size.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:11 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Columbus hands down in my opinion over Philly given your criteria and future plans. If you're possibly looking at other options I would recommend the Baltimore metro area as Maryland is perpetually ranked among the top few states for public education and teacher salary. It also gives you that east coast proximity to DC, Philly and NYC. Check out Towson, Lutherville and Hunt Valley.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:11 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,164,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Columbus hands down in my opinion over Philly given your criteria and future plans. If you're possibly looking at other options I would recommend the Baltimore metro area as Maryland is perpetually ranked among the top few states for public education and teacher salary. It also gives you that east coast proximity to DC, Philly and NYC. Check out Towson, Lutherville and Hunt Valley.
Pennsylvania is also consistently ranked near the top for teacher salaries, which is amazing considering the fact that Pennsylvania is very near the middle of the pack, on a state-by-state basis, as far as cost of living. The teachers' union in PA is (unfortunately) very strong.

I'm not sure why you would recommend Columbus over Philadelphia "hands-down" in any regard (other than the fact that you left Philadelphia bitterly and seem to have sour grapes over the whole ordeal). The only problem with Philadelphia is that it's more expensive than C-Bus. It's about even with Baltimore in that regard, and much cheaper than the other three East Coast locales (NYC, Boston, DC).

To recommend the Baltimore region as a preferred alternative instead of Philadelphia when the OP specifically mentioned Philadelphia is bizarre to me.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:31 PM

23,058 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Columbus. Much better attitude there.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 PM

151 posts, read 83,545 times
Philadelphia. It's in another tier entirely.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:13 PM

15 posts, read 10,347 times
Thank you so much everyone for your responses so far. We definitely understand high rents. Where we live now, it costs around $1800 (at the very minimum) to get a 2 bedroom that has basically no amenities (no dishwasher, laundry, etc). So pretty much any city (besides the likes of NYC and San Fran) will be a huge cost difference for us.

We teach, but our backgrounds are more in private and higher education. It's also possible one of us may return to school to earn a PhD or continue to advance our credentials and both cities have good universities for that.

We also both plan to continue to try and write/publish and perhaps build our own companies and practices, so places with good benefits for small businesses would be great for us, too, down the line.

Thank you so much again for your responses so far! We truly feel that you are all helping us with this big decision by explaining your opinions and expertise.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,164,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madamesosostris View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your responses so far. We definitely understand high rents. Where we live now, it costs around $1800 (at the very minimum) to get a 2 bedroom that has basically no amenities (no dishwasher, laundry, etc). So pretty much any city (besides the likes of NYC and San Fran) will be a huge cost difference for us.

We teach, but our backgrounds are more in private and higher education. It's also possible one of us may return to school to earn a PhD or continue to advance our credentials and both cities have good universities for that.

We also both plan to continue to try and write/publish and perhaps build our own companies and practices, so places with good benefits for small businesses would be great for us, too, down the line.

Thank you so much again for your responses so far! We truly feel that you are all helping us with this big decision by explaining your opinions and expertise.
There is a huge number of colleges and universities in the Philadelphia region. The demographics in terms of staffing a company are generally excellent as well. Neither PA nor OH are known as startup havens but the Philadelphia region does well in this regard and I believe so does Columbus.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 10-12-2016, 12:38 PM

321 posts, read 360,965 times
I would say Cbus fits your criteria better. Friends of mine, moved here from Philly and love the low cost and how they could find a great neighborhood that was much cheaper. Cbus won't ever compare to Philly culturally but it does offer more than people give it credit for.

Columbus in the sweet spot for location to other metros and a short flight to the East Coast. It is a bright spot in the Midwest and really poised to take off in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or