U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most underrated beauty
New York 26 22.03%
Wisconsin 7 5.93%
Minnesota 10 8.47%
Pennsylvania 12 10.17%
Texas 12 10.17%
New Mexico 19 16.10%
Georgia 10 8.47%
Virgina 13 11.02%
Missouri 6 5.08%
Louisiana 3 2.54%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM

514 posts, read 381,567 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 09:01 PM

23,740 posts, read 17,696,480 times
New York definitely. I drove through NY state a couple years back. Being from TN, it reminded me a lot of home. Michigan's coast and UP is also incredibly beautiful and not well known.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 PM

891 posts, read 909,979 times
The states that are on the poll are the ones in question. If you don't like the list then oh well.

New Jersey could of been added. It only allows 10 and these are the ones I came up with.

As far as the person who said upper Michigan is underrated... uh no. I constantly hear how "beautiful" that area is. Oklahoma has a few nice parts but the vast majority of the state is not what I would call beautiful or diverse. Arkansas same thing.. northwest Arkansas is very very nice.. but I think many people already know that.

Alabama is not in my view from what I've seen in person an underrated state in terms of beauty. Is there a few nice beaches? Sure.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:15 AM

2,702 posts, read 997,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
In this poll for underrated beauty, I would go with New York. I don't think people immediately think of NY State as being beautiful because the City (which is beautiful in a different way) gets much of the glory and attention. But the Adirondacks, the Finger Lakes, Niagara....etc., etc. it's a place of tremendous beauty, geographic and ecological diversity.

Really, on the whole, NJ takes a beating in the beauty department. While not remotely the most beautiful state, the Pine Barrens and the Jersey coastal areas are worthy of some praise. State really gets none whatsoever.
+1.

Though from what I've seen of NJ it's actually quite nice.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:55 AM

45,218 posts, read 36,416,452 times
Virginia's got it all - mountains, rolling farmland and valleys, rivers, and that fabulous coastline. Not sure it's underrated though - I think most people probably know that Virginia is a beautiful state. It got my vote however.

Texas has a lot more natural beauty than it often gets credit for. The vistas of the Hill Country are hard to beat. There's something exhilarating about that Big Texas Sky as well. I've never seen a sky quite like it anywhere else.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:16 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,147,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I don't know if I would consider some of those underrated i.e. Georgia, New Mexico, Texas.

Try living in New Jersey :
Also underrated. My husband and I used to mountain bike on weekends when we lived in Brooklyn and would usually go out to Ringwood State Park. It was an incredibly beautiful area.

Personally, I think Kentucky is very underrated in terms of natural beauty. I love driving the Bluegrass State Parkway.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 AM

7,152 posts, read 9,939,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Virginia's got it all - mountains, rolling farmland and valleys, rivers, and that fabulous coastline. Not sure it's underrated though - I think most people probably know that Virginia is a beautiful state. It got my vote however.

Texas has a lot more natural beauty than it often gets credit for. The vistas of the Hill Country are hard to beat. There's something exhilarating about that Big Texas Sky as well. I've never seen a sky quite like it anywhere else.
While I love Virginia, I have said a number of times here on CD that Virginia is my #2 or #3 favorite state, Virginia is exactly why I voted for New York on this poll.

New York has everything you mentioned that Virginia has plus it is has many more lakes (seven thousand), is a hillier and more mountainous state (New York is #37 while Virginia is #28 while #1 is the flattest), and New York has natural features like Niagara Falls, Lake George and the Thousand Islands that Virginia has no answer for. New York even has more park/conservation land - almost 37% is public land in New York versus only 10% for Virginia.

All that does not necessarily mean that New York is a prettier state than Virginia, a matter of opinion of course. But it does bug mean when I see Virginia being mentioned and similar sized eastern states like New York and Pennsylvania are ignored - that is what I truly called underrated.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 AM

430 posts, read 299,588 times
Pennsylvania. Not only is the State's mountains, valleys, rivers beautiful, but the State also does a fantastic job at preserving it's natural land and also allowing access to the lands without harming them.

One of my favorite areas of the State is in Lycoming County where the Black Forest offers breathtaking views.
Can't forget the shores of Lake Erie and Presque Isle State Park in Erie.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:09 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,064,410 times
I was under the impression that most people know that New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and New Mexico have a lot of natural beauty. All of them have mountain ranges and three of them have large areas of lush forest while New Mexico has some amazing desert mesa regions. If you want a truly underrated but beautiful state, try South Dakota - the entire western half of the state is stunning.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:05 AM

7,152 posts, read 9,939,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I was under the impression that most people know that New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and New Mexico have a lot of natural beauty. All of them have mountain ranges and three of them have large areas of lush forest while New Mexico has some amazing desert mesa regions. If you want a truly underrated but beautiful state, try South Dakota - the entire western half of the state is stunning.
I certainly agree with you about New Mexico, "the Land of Enchantment". I was wondering why New Mexico was even on this poll.

But in some ways it is hard to tell. Maybe you can make an argument for New Mexico or as you say, South Dakota, because many Americans have not the slightest clue about geography. I think that most of us regulars here on City-Data have a better than average knowledge and interest of geography (otherwise we would not be on a website called City-Data!). But do we know what the majority of other people are thinking? It is just guesswork.

So you can literally make an argument for any state. But as a New Yorker I can tell you I am constantly seeing my state ignored. I can understand that when people think New York, they think first of the 5 counties (boroughs) of New York City. But there are another 57 counties outside NYC, and IMHO they include much of the best things about New York State.

Next time you see a thread, say what are the most beautiful states in the Northeast, watch people say Massachusetts and Pennsylvania while leaving out the state in between and you will understand what I am saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or