U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:09 PM

2,553 posts, read 1,648,555 times

Advertisements

Nevada and Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 PM

325 posts, read 208,342 times
Regarding NM plates, the ones with the balloons are kind of hard to read, I just like the yellow NM plates with red printing because they're easier to read. As for the VA plates, I don't know why VA chose to make their plate plain-looking before the Lovers plates.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:49 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
I roll my eyes seeing that "In God We Trust". I don't understand how they get away with that seeing how it's a government issued item.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 AM

17,740 posts, read 4,104,090 times
Texas

Old 11-02-2016, 12:49 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,980,197 times
Delaware has really great, classy license plates. The standard blue and gold (the oldest continuously used plate in the country) is timeless and goes great with most vehicles.

http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/Delaware2/de2011.jpg

But it's the black and white porcelain plates that are really quite nice and are well sought after.

Delaware couple pays $325K for tag No. 14

http://www.licenseplates.tv/images/usade52.gif

Last edited by JMT; 11-02-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 07:56 PM

9,447 posts, read 18,363,374 times
We do have pretty cool plates in NM, I'd be reluctant to give up my bright yellow plate if I moved out of state. The colors are very representative of the state. Also, notice how they say "New Mexico USA" so as not to confuse anyone.

I also dig Wyoming with the cowboy and bucking bronco.

My favorite plate in Canada, Nova Scotia I suppose with the tall ships and slogan "Canada's Ocean Playground" The rest of the provinces are pretty basic. Seeing as Alberta has the world renowned Canadian Rockies, one would think they could come up with something better than "Wild Rose Country" really? who cares? Beautiful British Columbia is definitely on point.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,979,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post

My favorite plate in Canada, Nova Scotia I suppose with the tall ships and slogan "Canada's Ocean Playground" The rest of the provinces are pretty basic. Seeing as Alberta has the world renowned Canadian Rockies, one would think they could come up with something better than "Wild Rose Country" really? who cares? Beautiful British Columbia is definitely on point.

The Tall Ship on the Nova Scotia plate is the legendary Grand Banks Schooner "Bluenose", it is also featured on the Canadian dime, the older one's anyway as they have new designs representing themes and provinces. The Bluenose has quite an interesting history and I encourage you (if you have not already) to look into its story and background.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Northwest Territories plate is quite interesting with the unique profile of a Polar Bear. I am not Canadian so do not know if the NWT's are a province or not but if so I think you might like this design.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:32 PM

4,949 posts, read 7,612,009 times
I do like that we brought back the classic and utterly simple yellow on black plates from the '60s here in California, as a special plate. They look sharp! Especially on black cars.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:10 PM

5,703 posts, read 3,663,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I roll my eyes seeing that "In God We Trust". I don't understand how they get away with that seeing how it's a government issued item.
"In God We Trust" is the national motto of the United States. In other words, it's the government-sanctioned "catch phrase" for our country.

As for which states have the coolest plates, I'd probably say Arizona or New Mexico. If you want to consider which one had the best combination of simplicity, readability, and understated design, I'd probably give the new Texas standard plate the nod. The old Maryland plates (the one with the state flag as a shield in the middle) was even better.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:12 PM

5,582 posts, read 3,722,675 times
I think it is important to separate standard issue plates with vanity plates and or specialty plates. If you just narrow it down to regular issue or standard plates then I truly believe that there are just a handful of states that stick out. My choices would be Oregon, New Mexico, Georgia, Utah and North Dakota. Some of the states have been using the same plates for decades. And there is something to be said for that. why states seem to need to change their design every 3 to 5 years is beyond me. Oregon for example has been using the same plate since 1988 and it still looks great. California and Washington also have kept the same design since the 80s and they also are classics. Simple designs are back in vogue such as Texas going back to their simple black letters on white a staple in the 50s and 60s. New York also has reverted to a retro look though not very popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or