U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:00 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,973,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'd like to see GA put the "....on my mind" back on the tags. Like this.

I really don't like this one but I'm okay with this on (I'd like to see them get rid of the "In god we trust" and put the "...on my mind" back).

I'm in New York, and we have a reputation (deserved or not depending who you talk to) for an accent, shaving/streamlining speech to make it move faster or take less time to say something, and rudeness, defensiveness.

A classic New Yorkism is "Fuhgeddaboudit" (forget about it in normal English), or rudely and defensively saying "what's it to you?" to a stranger asking a question.

A plate might be abbreviated to "Watsit2U".... "Fuhgeddaboudit" would likely have to go on the surround or support frame...

I see someone mentioned Minnesota plates. Stereotypical speech might be "Yah" or "Ja"... "Youbetcha!" "Oh-Yah?" "Oh for cute!"

Plate abbreviation... "O4CUTE"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 11:45 PM

5,537 posts, read 3,690,388 times
Well, personalized or theme plates are an entire other topic. Some States have a lot, or even too many, personalized and theme plates trying to go after extra revenue. Montana comes to mind. Seriously, you will see 15-20 different plates in Montana. What is the point? And doesn't this become a law-enforcement problem in the end?

If States can't be identified by a strong "general issue", they are doing something wrong.

California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado are doing it right. Keep it simple and consistent. Yes, offer options and increase revenue, but keep it to a basic design.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:03 AM

9,467 posts, read 12,305,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
So, even though I do not live in the State, I think Maine has the coolest plates. They have a variety of scenes and themes including Lobsters, Chickadee On a Pine Bough, Moose, Loons, Bears, Moose And Salmon Together. The best artistry, variety and imagery IMO. The link below is the Google image page for Maine plates, you can even change the image category by clicking the selections in the colored boxes at the top if you choose.

1.Hawaii
2. New Mexico
3. Arizona
4. Oklahoma

Google Image Maine Plate Page
5. California

Old 11-22-2016, 06:04 PM

4,392 posts, read 3,558,294 times
Don't know about the best but Delaware has the most boring basic plates. Especially the ones that aren't even the standard rectangle size. They look like plates from the 50s and before.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:55 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,971,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Don't know about the best but Delaware has the most boring basic plates. Especially the ones that aren't even the standard rectangle size. They look like plates from the 50s and before.
To each their own, but I find the standard blue and gold to be timeless, classy, and pleasing with most car colors. And you're right, there have been minimal changes to the plate, with the current version having been in use since 1968, the longest running license plate in the country.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:35 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
That is exactly what makes them cool.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:19 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,539,997 times
I saw a survey a few years ago where Delaware was voted as having the worst license plates, which just goes to show you there's no accounting for taste. And I happen to like loud, colorful license plates.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:45 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,971,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I saw a survey a few years ago where Delaware was voted as having the worst license plates, which just goes to show you there's no accounting for taste. And I happen to like loud, colorful license plates.
To each their own, as I've seen a survey with Delaware at the top for license plates.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:46 AM

4,392 posts, read 3,558,294 times
Whoops my post got deleted (must've been cause I linked to another forum). I'm talking about the plain black plates that aren't even standard length. The blue and gold isn't bad. I just don't seem to see it too much (in Pennsylvania at least)

Old 11-27-2016, 04:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 1,973,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That is exactly what makes them cool.

Delaware plates are very "retro" in that they resemble the way plates in other States looked back in the early to mid 20th century, this adding to their "coolness" I think. Plates back then were simple, with only two colors comprising of the letters/numbers and the background field.

In the States you might imagine (Maine, New Hampshire, Colorado, some of the northern Canadian provinces) some plates of this era had very dignified hunter and forest greens as field colors. Some of the lighter greens you see today on plates not as nice IMO.

I stumbled across a site called Worldlicesneplates.com that shows all of the states and provinces (as well as other parts of the world) with plate photo's ranging from way back to today. Presently looking at the Yukon/Klondike page. The plates through time seem to have kept the same prospector panning for Gold on the left side of the plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or