Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM

673 posts, read 4,062,265 times

Advertisements

I have to say it seems like rural areas are winning, its sad that so much is spent on small rural areas and metro areas of less then 500,000 people.
They have so little to offer unless they are very, very topographically appealing.

Here in the midwest Minneapolis, Des Moines, Omaha, Wichita and Denver are being economically sacrificed by aggressive rabid rural interests that dont care about urban prosperity, they are just rural greed mongers. These rural areas are declining and yet these states still bother with road construction and school spending in these areas. Not only that medical facilities such as nursing homes shouldnt exist in smaller rural areas because its very expensive transport people to decent sized medical centers.

A penny spent on a rural area unless its highly topographically appealing to potential people and may become a resort or a tourist destination or is close to major metro area is waste.

Its sickening especially in Iowa and Nebraska how these rural areas just are so set on draining Omaha and Des Moines and yet they dont have any think close to tourist destinations on the level of the Rockies, Sierra-Nevada's or the Atlantic Ocean.

As far as I am concerned any state with less then 5 million people should have a highly centralized economy with one major metropolitan that dominates unless it is in very close proximity to another major metropolitan area.

I also think rural areas in the Dakotas, rural Kansas, the Misssissippi Delta and their agricultural interests have caused the nations to be horrible.

If rural areas were ignored, then major metropolitan areas could have high-way speed rail connected them, massive cultural facilities, major university expansions rather then subsidies so greety farmers can have their big tractors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 05:27 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,270,802 times
In defense of rural areas, they often produce products that actually help enrich the metro areas. For example here in West Texas a large amount of taxes are paid when oil companies produce petroleum products. A lot of that money ends up in Austin, DFW, Houston, and other large metro areas and easily offsets the small amount of tax money flowing back into the rural areas.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:36 PM

1,765 posts, read 7,314,043 times
I think the OP was an attempt at trolling. What was said makes no sense. You can't have one without the other unless you want to import all your food. It's bad enough the rural population and family farms are declining.

If you're looking for the cause of the decline in the old industrial cities, you're going to have to look within them. Money goes where it's well treated and tends to stay there.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,541,388 times
Tell me again. MattDen where your food grows. Urban areas become disinvested because American's, as a whole, just don't like cities. Small and rural farmers, which are in reality much poorer, aren't leeching from the cities. We simply deemed the latter as having less importance. High speed rail is a great dream of mine. It does not occur because of industry: airline, gasoline, bitmonous(sp?), auto, et. cetera. It sould also be remembered that rural America is being commercialized. There aren't any more small farmers who are getting rich. Wealth from the prairie is left to bonanza farmers like ADM, ConAgra and Cargill. If you were talking about this being the rural interest, you are right. Rural America is hurting more, it just isn't remembered because you can't show a picture of an abandoned farmhouse and conjure the same sentiment in people as if you showed them a housing project in the Bronx. In Minneapolis, we have lost out on alot because of our ***** to the millionaire governor. If taxes were at an apt level, my state could save both. Sadly, 51% of Minnesotans don't get that. School spending is never bad, neither is helping the elderly. Don't mistake political ineptitude for them.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:45 PM

I dont like rural areas that arent full of natral resources or are extremely topographically appealing resort towns, I think infrastructure going to rural areas is a big, big drain on states and the country as a whole and has caused great caused big issues for many metropolitan areas in North America.

Not to get political, but I could care less about any of the people who live in rural counties they are the biggest drains their county and small town governments are expensive to maintain and for what they have lost 80% of their population. Sorry, but not to get political but big agri-business is efficient and the small farmers arent. In Nebraska the special rural interests just like other heavily rural which love discriminating against anything with a urban tint like to bias things in their favor. Those small time farmers you know the ones with the different colored trucks for every day of the week have their land assessed in this state at 75% of fair market value while the Omaha secratery and garbage hawler gets their land assessed at 100%.

As far as Iowa goes their commercial tax rate is much higher then their agricultural tax rate, its just incredible. Why shouldnt those greedy Iowa farmers who are filthy-rich pay nearly 4% of the market value yearly to property taxes rather then those good corperate citizens of Des Moines who locare there.

Its amazing how any state would penalize out-of state business while giving those filthy rich midwestern farmers who have different colored SUV's for everyday of the week special rights because they have tremendous legislative clout in Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska and many other states.

People who arent from or have lived in rural areas have no idea how much these rural areas have caused great decline in the overall infrastructure.

The only reason why there isnt high-speed rail in many of the most urban parts of America is because these rural areas which are in major population drain so much. It truely is amazing.

The only reason why so many cities have urban blight is because all these small towns get all these huge subsidies for silly things such as agriculture. I live in Nebraska now, rural areas really dont matter much and should be ignored. Infrastructure doesnt even need to maintained as corn can hawled to grain mills on dirt roads they dont even regular roads. But the urban corridor of the nation (Dallas to Houston, the Great Lakes area from Chicago to Cleveland and the many other areas in my opinion desperately need high-speed commuter rail and massive infrastructure improvements)

Last edited by MattDen; 07-05-2007 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 06:29 PM

150 posts, read 518,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I have to say it seems like rural areas are winning, its sad that so much is spent on small rural areas and metro areas of less then 500,000 people.
They have so little to offer unless they are very, very topographically appealing.

Here in the midwest Minneapolis, Des Moines, Omaha, Wichita and Denver are being economically sacrificed by aggressive rabid rural interests that dont care about urban prosperity, they are just rural greed mongers. These rural areas are declining and yet these states still bother with road construction and school spending in these areas. Not only that medical facilities such as nursing homes shouldnt exist in smaller rural areas because its very expensive transport people to decent sized medical centers.

A penny spent on a rural area unless its highly topographically appealing to potential people and may become a resort or a tourist destination or is close to major metro area is waste.

Its sickening especially in Iowa and Nebraska how these rural areas just are so set on draining Omaha and Des Moines and yet they dont have any think close to tourist destinations on the level of the Rockies, Sierra-Nevada's or the Atlantic Ocean.

As far as I am concerned any state with less then 5 million people should have a highly centralized economy with one major metropolitan that dominates unless it is in very close proximity to another major metropolitan area.

I also think rural areas in the Dakotas, rural Kansas, the Misssissippi Delta and their agricultural interests have caused the nations to be horrible.

If rural areas were ignored, then major metropolitan areas could have high-way speed rail connected them, massive cultural facilities, major university expansions rather then subsidies so greety farmers can have their big tractors.
I am unshure of how to respond to this, you obviosly know every thing and I am un worthy to respond, but I will any way. You sir will get hungry eatin that magicaly apearing food that shows up at the store. What will you do when your big city food stamps wont buy any thing but culture and a high speed train ride? I have been to "The big city" and you can keep it I will take hard working self suporting rural life. I know lots of farmers and none of them are poping out babies and collecting welfare checks, but I have seen lots of that in the big city. In all my years Ive never seen a beger on a dirt county road (because every one knows you go to the big city for goverment hand outs). If you want more produce something service industry is heavy in the big city, people in the service industry serve people who produce something.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:34 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,255,064 times
Denver is not the midwest and it is not run by "rural" interests. If anything, the growth of Denver is eating rural areas alive by buying out their water. Where is jazzlover when you need him?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM

Rural interests (not in Colorado, but in Kansas and Nebraska) are trying to ruin the front range of Colorado. There is a water compact between the states which is badly, badly flawed in my opinion and discriminatory towards urban states such as the front range of Colorado is favor of agricultural interests in Kansas and Nebraska. These states should under no circumstances have subsidies until the compact is lifted and Colorado can drill their aquifiers and get the water for economic growth.

Its amazing how some rural people want to slow the economic growth for a world-class economic and tourism corridor along the front range of the rockies but those are the rural ways all over the country and its sick.

Ive always been in favor of eliminate all farm subsidies to the smaller farmers especially and eliminating all subisdies to rural areas until urban areas can drill those aquifiers and get that water.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,255,064 times
MattDen, I've been wondering, perhaps you are in the wrong area of the country? I don't see how someone with attitudes like yours can live in the midwest-- the biggest agricultural region in the world. And of all cities, Lincoln, Nebraska? If you have these attitudes, why did you even move to Lincoln in the first place?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,541,388 times
That was pretty uncalled for bigreez. It would be pretty hard for farmers to live without a big city, even if you don't visit it. For this nation to succeed the two have to work in unison. Also, the reason why no one begs on a country road is because you have to stand there for an hour for someone to pass. Rail would benefit a farmer too, whats the fastest and quickest way to transport something? The POOREST areas of this country in in rural areas. Appalachia, Pine Ridge, The Delta, et. cetera. Want an example of a place that doesn't have worthwhile cities and relies wholly on farming? Sub-saharan Africa. They get food stamps without going to the big, scary city. MattDen is pretty presumptous, but you, Sir, are much worse. I never thought I could apply the word "elitist" to a working man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.