Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:38 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times

Advertisements

Tappan Zee is a crumbling bridge, about to collapse at any moment. At least it feels that way driving across. They're building a new one right next to it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 06:37 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Pittsburgh has some very nice bridges.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:21 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
The Claiborne Pell-Newport Bridge (Rhode Island).

Old 10-14-2016, 08:06 PM

193 posts, read 204,418 times
Memorial Bridge--Washington, D.C.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:11 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
The Waldo-Hancock bridge over the Penobscot River in Bucksport Maine gets my vote
That is a great bridge. Incredible setting, and there's a public observation deck in one of the towers. From up there, the old metal bridge looks like a toy.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:31 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Sunshine Skyway (still the world's longest bridge with a cable-stayed main span).
Golden Gate Bridge
Verrazano Narrows Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
Mackinac Bridge
I thought Russky bridge in Vladivostok, Russia was the longest cable stayed bridge.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I surprised that you think of the Zakim as the best bridge in Boston, IMO its the Longfellow.
I visited Boston for the first time back in July. I was initially going to say that I didn't see it, but I now remember why I forgot to list it. I actually did see it when I caught a movie in the Esplanade, but I didn't recognize that it was the Longfellow Bridge. I also rode the Red Line over it, but it was after midnight. I can honestly say that the Longfellow Bridge IS the most beautiful bridge in Boston, with the Zakim coming in 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I agree with the OP about the Ben Franklin Bridge. But we part company on the Commodore Barry; my memory has it that it's nice enough looking, but there are many others that are prettier.
My favorite types of bridges are suspension, cantilever, cable-stayed, and arch. The Commodore Barry Bridge is my favorite example of a cantilever bridge. My other favorite would be the Goethals Bridge in New Jersey, but it is scheduled to be replaced soon. Plus, I love how lush and green the surroundings are on the NJ side of the Commodore Barry. The Chester, PA side is a different story, however!

Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
What would you all say are the most beautiful bridges in the United States? Here is my list:

#1. Benjamin Franklin Bridge-Philadelphia, PA

The Ben Franklin Bridge, in my opinion, is simply the most beautiful bridge in the United States. It is one of the few bridges that was designed to be multi-modal. It currently contains boxed culverts for 24/7 PATCO service, walkways in both directions for pedestrian and bike traffic, and 7 lanes for motorized vehicles. In the past, there was space for trolleys. In fact, within the beautiful stone abutments, there was a grand trolley terminal planned (at least on the PA side). Finally, this bridge is a HUGE part of Philly culture. It is one of the first images that comes to mind when thinking of the city.
I agree-there's nothing like taking a subway across a suspension bridge. I wonder if that can be done anywhere else in the US outside of New York or Philly. The Delaware Memorial twin bridges are cool.

In New York I love the Verrazzano and George Washington. So many bridges with incredible views, even Throgs Neck/Whitestone and others mentioned.

The Golden Gate of course is spectacular. Coronado Bridge is pretty cool. The Newport, RI Bridge is very pretty.

The Cheasapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel is pretty crazy-feels like you're driving across the ocean, as you pretty much are.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-14-2016 at 10:52 PM..

Old 10-15-2016, 04:38 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Another vote for the New River Gorge.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:51 PM

520 posts, read 611,293 times
I prefer the western span of the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate Bridge. It's longer, I like the art deco styling, and you get a fantastic view of the SF skyline exiting the Yerba Buena Tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.