U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:26 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,316,287 times

Advertisements

Everyone's talking about trick-or-treating for kids but what about Halloween for adults?

NYC is a great place for Halloween if you're in your 20s. Maybe not the best for kids trick-or-treating tho. But amazing for people in their 20s. It's probably my favorite holiday. Even just riding the subway on Halloween can be a lot of fun.

I bet Vegas is probably great for Halloween too.

Edit: oh, I just realized this thread is about states, not cities. As far as states go, I think anywhere in a 4 season climate would be best. Halloween would not be the same without the pumpkins, orange leaves, other autumnal-stuff, etc.
Or maybe that's just me being from the Northeast. Kind of like how I was in LA one Christmas and it was so weird for me seeing all the Christmas stuff when it's 70 degrees out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:03 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,173,154 times
Pumpkins are another American Halloween tradition. The coolest jackolanterns I've seen were made of turnips.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:03 PM

45,148 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It does rule out the "sexy" costumes, but some of the more detailed, layered choices almost require cooler weather. I recall a Oct. 31 in Texas when it was too warm for me to even wear my mask. Ideally it would be in 60s.
That's what it usually is here in northeast Texas. I agree, 60s is just about perfect.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:13 PM

87,043 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Quote:
Pumpkins are another American Halloween tradition. The coolest jackolanterns I've seen were made of turnips.
That's how they started in Ireland.
History of the Jack O’ Lantern - Halloween - HISTORY.com

Old 10-16-2016, 12:48 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,407,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know why it would be an advantage to be cold on Halloween. That rules out a LOT of costumes while trick or treating.

By the way, here in northeast Texas, the fall leaves are starting to turn and flutter to the ground. Temps for Halloween night should be in the low 60s. Awesome trick or treating weather!
I don't think it really rules out that many costumes, depends how cold. If it stays above 40 and below 65 I think its great. There should be chill in the air but not freezing. I'd rather be a little cold in my costume than sweaty lol.

Last year I was Hercules from the Disney movie, before he got buff lol so it was a toga. It was in the 50s at night but I felt comfortable. I am pretty cold hardy though.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:48 PM

25,122 posts, read 24,004,516 times
Quote:
I don't see how you can beat a New Orleans Halloween. I'm not even sure how New England came to be so strongly associated with the date. It's never been exclusively about witches or fall color.
There was that burning witches at the stake thing. It adds a bit of flavor to the Halloween haunt.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:08 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,677,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I lived in Abilene last summer and I miss it there. I lived in an area where there was a lot of families and kids played outside. I bet they get lots of trick-or-treaters too. We visited last December and there was snow on the ground and most houses had Christmas lights, was really beautiful. Sadly there's not as much of the holiday spirit here when it comes to decorating. (Probably those darn college kids lol)
Yes,Abilene is a nice place.Okay thats kool.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:18 PM

25,122 posts, read 24,004,516 times
Quote:
I wish there were more people in my area that decorated. I plan to make a haunted house in my garage and charge a dollar admission. Are there any cool spooky locales near you? (haunted houses, creepy areas with urban legends)
You're going to make people pay? Don't bother. We used to drive to see a house that had the entire property covered in lights at Christmas. If you took the time to get out of the car and walk the property (everyone was welcome) there was a jar on the porch which asked for donations to help pay the electric bill. The few years we went, we dropped $10.

I used to live in a neighborhood where one guy decorated, turned his garage into a haunted morgue, funeral home. The people across the street had the haunted graveyard. That display got better every year.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:15 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,407,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You're going to make people pay? Don't bother. We used to drive to see a house that had the entire property covered in lights at Christmas. If you took the time to get out of the car and walk the property (everyone was welcome) there was a jar on the porch which asked for donations to help pay the electric bill. The few years we went, we dropped $10.

I used to live in a neighborhood where one guy decorated, turned his garage into a haunted morgue, funeral home. The people across the street had the haunted graveyard. That display got better every year.
I mean its only a dollar lol and it won't be just decorations, it will be effects plus ... between me and you... may involve someone getting in a costume and scaring the crap out of visitors lol.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:28 PM

87,043 posts, read 102,742,261 times
Quote:
I don't think it really rules out that many costumes, depends how cold. If it stays above 40 and below 65 I think its great. There should be chill in the air but not freezing. I'd rather be a little cold in my costume than sweaty lol.

Last year I was Hercules from the Disney movie, before he got buff lol so it was a toga. It was in the 50s at night but I felt comfortable. I am pretty cold hardy though.
For little girls, especially, there are lots of fairy and princess costumes that don't go well with a ski jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or