U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Perinton, NY
98 posts, read 87,564 times
Reputation: 108

Advertisements

i love halloween/fall time here where i live in upstate new york. the trees have all changed and the air is turning crisp (even though the last few days have almost been in the 80s but that is abnormal).

IMO halloween is best in "gloomy" and colder places like here and in new england, michigan, minnesota, and maybe the pacific northwest. It really depends, usually its nice and cool/almost cold at night when its time to trickrtreat. some years it was already snowing by halloween here.

To me the southern states just dont have the same feel. i lived in texas for a few years and i guess the weather is technically "better" for most people but it just doesnt feel the same. I also lived in San Diego for a year and that area is probably the least halloween feeling to me, i guess really any holiday including thanksgiving and christmas as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:48 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
815 posts, read 461,456 times
Reputation: 1140
There are some pretty cool things that happen in NC. Lots of scary (and very impressive) haunted houses out in the country that normally feature corn mazes and tractor rides through the woods. One of note is the Clayton Fear Farm. Fall weather is in full swing meaning it's not already "too cold". Tons and tons and tons of trick or treaters here in North Raleigh. State fair is usually over by then but features halloween stuff too. Pumpkins and decorations all over the place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 PM
 
151 posts, read 83,505 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaproblem39 View Post
i love halloween/fall time here where i live in upstate new york. the trees have all changed and the air is turning crisp (even though the last few days have almost been in the 80s but that is abnormal).

IMO halloween is best in "gloomy" and colder places like here and in new england, michigan, minnesota, and maybe the pacific northwest. It really depends, usually its nice and cool/almost cold at night when its time to trickrtreat. some years it was already snowing by halloween here.

To me the southern states just dont have the same feel. i lived in texas for a few years and i guess the weather is technically "better" for most people but it just doesnt feel the same. I also lived in San Diego for a year and that area is probably the least halloween feeling to me, i guess really any holiday including thanksgiving and christmas as well.

Fellow Upstate NYer here. Don't forget PA for the fall/Halloween either. Gorgeous rolling hills and farms scenery in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Auburn, New York
1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Reputation: 2935
Madison, Wisconsin takes Halloween very seriously, but in a drunk frat boy kinda way.

Chicago throws a huge Halloween parade in Boystown.

Tucson has a Day of the Dead parade.

Detroit has a reputation for self-destruction on the night before Halloween--Devil's Night as the locals say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Fellow Upstate NYer here. Don't forget PA for the fall/Halloween either. Gorgeous rolling hills and farms scenery in PA.
Yeah, Pennsylvania is beautiful in the fall. One year, I flew to Pittsburgh on Halloween Day (Mom was having surgery the next day) and the leaves were totally gone. Other years, they're just sort past their prime on October 31.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Reputation: 14804
Hmm. Maybe the lower or coastal Northeast is better for Halloween in that the leaves will still be around? There's usually some color left on Halloween here, but it's always past peak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050
^^Yeah, Maryland/Virginia may be "just right" for fall atmosphere and still leaves on the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and wherever planes fly
1,558 posts, read 2,391,619 times
Reputation: 1395
Clearly Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine. I know everybody has seen Hocus Pocus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Reputation: 33050
Just came across this on NPR: A hexed marionette and other eerie items from Minnesota history | Minnesota Public Radio News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Reputation: 7700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Clearly Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine. I know everybody has seen Hocus Pocus!
Stupid virgins, lighting candles. Pshaww...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top