U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:32 PM

37 posts, read 27,952 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in San Diego CA but I want to move to a more affordable area.
I work from home so I can live anywhere. I can afford about 500k-600k for a new home and I'd like to get a large 4 bedroom with a large garage (for a wood shop).

My requirements are:

Area:
- Within 30 miles of a city.
- shops and restaurants within short driving distance. We want to have a life.
- The state must not be too red (Texas is okay, Alabama is not). I am socially liberal so I don't want to be too deep in the bible belt.
- I'd like it to be beautiful and relatively close to beautiful outdoors and hiking trails.
- We don't have children so we don't care about school districts.
- Oceans or lakes are great.

Weather
- Not too much snow.
- Not too hot (like, I don't want to constantly live in 100 degree weather).
- Not too humid.
- Rain is not a problem.

Right now, I am thinking Austin, Portland or maybe Seattle area? or maybe Denver area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 07:41 PM

6,563 posts, read 10,280,522 times
Denver doesn't have a lot of water and we get roughly 54" of snow per year. Other than that, the area can easily accommodate the rest of your wants.

EDIT - Take Austin off your list. It's humid and the thermometer will be close to 100 more often than not in June, July, August, and early September. Texas is also tea party central. Republicans hold every single statewide office.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-13-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 07:54 PM

79 posts, read 78,469 times
Sacramento, and Hampton Roads Virginia are two other places that came to mind.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,140,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MoltenCore View Post
Sacramento, and Hampton Roads Virginia are two other places that came to mind.
Sacramento is a rather yucko city (imo) and it's extremely hot in the summer and the air quality is horrible. It's close enough to the mountains and it's close enough to the coast but it's basically neither here nor there ... just a mediocre (at best - i'm being kind to it) place in the central valley. So nah, sorry to disagree but not Sacramento.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:47 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,126,863 times
You literally picked the 4 most overhyped metros in the US.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:56 PM

687 posts, read 437,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Sacramento is a rather yucko city (imo) and it's extremely hot in the summer and the air quality is horrible. It's close enough to the mountains and it's close enough to the coast but it's basically neither here nor there ... just a mediocre (at best - i'm being kind to it) place in the central valley. So nah, sorry to disagree but not Sacramento.
Loomis.... and many suburbs of Sacramento were amazing during my college days.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 6,574 times
If rain's not an issue, move to Oregon. Great hiking, anything on the I-5 corridor is fairly big and close to the coast, and it's definitely more liberal in terms of politics and culture. Buying a house here isn't cheap ($200,000-$500,000, on average,) but a lot of people fall in love with it. Also, no sales tax! If you don't want snow or humidity, I'd go for Corvallis, Salem, or Eugene. Definitely a good amount of rain with those cities (they're all in the valley,) but rarely any snow, and the summers are between 70 and 85 most of the time.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
You literally picked the 4 most overhyped metros in the US.
I haven't picked anything yet. What do you suggest?

Old 10-14-2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlieJMiller View Post
If rain's not an issue, move to Oregon. Great hiking, anything on the I-5 corridor is fairly big and close to the coast, and it's definitely more liberal in terms of politics and culture. Buying a house here isn't cheap ($200,000-$500,000, on average,) but a lot of people fall in love with it. Also, no sales tax! If you don't want snow or humidity, I'd go for Corvallis, Salem, or Eugene. Definitely a good amount of rain with those cities (they're all in the valley,) but rarely any snow, and the summers are between 70 and 85 most of the time.

Good luck!
Thanks!

Old 10-16-2016, 12:18 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Given your criteria I would recommend the Boulder CO area. Check out nearby towns like Louisville or Niwot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or