U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:08 AM

270 posts, read 223,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Also, don't move to Northern Arizona if you don't like weed. Stoners are everywhere even in retiree Prescott. Arizona will most likely legalize next month and while I don't think weed culture will be as pervasive as Oregon is right now, I am assuming Arizona will be the only "warm" state with legalization and that will attract quite a bit of people.
Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that about Prescott! From what I've read about Arizona, I wouldn't have been surprised by pot in Sedona or Flagstaff, but Prescott does surprise me. Who are the stoners in Prescott? Is it the retirees themselves, young people from the halfway houses, someone else entirely? Arizona has a reputation for conservatism (is libertarianism more accurate?), so I'm also surprised to hear that you expect them to legalize. (I am kind of intrigued by AZ in general and Prescott in particular and also dislike pot, hence my curiosity.)

As for Arizona being the only warm state with legalization, don't forget California. California currently has a loophole-filled, very wink-wink medical marijuana policy that is comically easy to exploit, and recreational legalization is on the November ballot. I'll be surprised if it doesn't pass this time.

Also, thanks for the explanations of the water situation in AZ and surrounding areas. That was really interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 10:46 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlieJMiller View Post
funtraveler1, I'm not really sure. The South is too hot and humid, I haven't heard many good things about the Midwest (though that could easily be misinformation,) and I've never been to the Northeast, but I know the cost of living can get pretty spendy up there. My travels have been quite limited thus far, so I'm pretty open-minded. I just want a moderate climate (little-to-no rain, good amount of sun, maybe some snow,) and a moderate overall culture (slightly more conservative than Portlandia, but definitely not Bible-belt status.)
Check out Prescott, AZ. Sounds just about perfect for you.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:11 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlieJMiller View Post
NoMoreSnowForMe, if I had to sacrifice anything, I guess it'd be the accessibility to urban amenities. I'm okay with a more rural vibe, and, consequently, me conservative politics. I'm just sick the rain and pervasive stoner culture here in the Willamette valley, so I'm willing to try anywhere that doesn't have those two things.
Can you take heat? You might want to check out the Redding, CA area. I lived there for a year, and would have stayed, except I can't take the heat. It's really, really, really hot for half the year there. But, it's a city of about 90,000 people and sits in a beautiful area with lots of recreation.

There is a culture of pot smokers/growers there, but it's not pervasive. It's more so than anywhere else I've lived in CA, but it's nothing like what you're talking about - which would be like Eureka/Arcata, where probably 90% of the citizens are into the pot industry or are pot consumers.

Redding has a blend of environmentalist types and lots of rednecks. It's still overall a Republican dominated area, but the shopping is great, there is a Trader Joe's, a Costco, but no Whole Foods, at least of 2 years ago. There is a lot of entertainment there, too.

I would have stayed and been happy with the amenities and entertainment choices, shopping, recreation, etc., - if the weather wasn't so scorching hot for a very long summer.

But, it's got more sunny days than anywhere I've lived in CA (which has been mainly the SF Bay Area and the Sacto area - both of those areas can get a lot of fog in winter).

The winter is great in Redding. Sunny most of the time, not much rain, just a little snow in town sometimes. And you should be able to get lots of coffee - and good coffee :-)

And it's affordable. It's just dang hot for about 5 - 6 months of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.