Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 07:07 AM

345 posts, read 530,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlieJMiller View Post
funtraveler1, I'm not really sure. The South is too hot and humid, I haven't heard many good things about the Midwest (though that could easily be misinformation,) and I've never been to the Northeast, but I know the cost of living can get pretty spendy up there. My travels have been quite limited thus far, so I'm pretty open-minded. I just want a moderate climate (little-to-no rain, good amount of sun, maybe some snow,) and a moderate overall culture (slightly more conservative than Portlandia, but definitely not Bible-belt status.)
Yep. Head down to the south. Nashville and Charlotte are right up your alley. I would've said San Antonio too but it doesn't really snow there, tho you could still choose it. All three are southern cities that fit what you want. Not too much rain, cost of living is steady, moderate climate, a moderate culture, beautiful outdoors (especially Nashville), and not too hot and humid. They're alot of other good stuff bout these cities, but I just answered what you needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:41 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
Snow doesn't bother me at all. I much prefer it over rain. My only hesitation with Utah is the lack of coffee. I'm a true PNW girl in my belief that easy access to caffeine is a basic human need ;P
Boise sounds like a good option, fits the criteria you are looking for which you mentioned in your first post. SLC not so much unless you want to live in a theocracy. You might also look into the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area up in North Idaho/Eastern Washington. Idaho is a state of immense wilderness, so if you love the outdoors it is a great state to live in. Oregon and Idaho have a lot of landscape similarities except for the coast. There are many transplants to Boise (and other areas of Idaho) from the Portland and Seattle areas.

Quote:
grega94, I've never been to Idaho, so I suppose I shouldn't judge. It's just not a place of particular interest to me. I have some relatives who are from there, and from what they say, there doesn't seem to be a lot going on in Idaho, especially outside of Boise. I've never considered eastern Washington though. Thanks for the suggestion!
Not sure what you mean by "a lot going on", but to be fair in Oregon there isn't much going on city wise outside of the Portland area.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 10-14-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-14-2016, 07:56 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
What about Flagstaff, AZ? Snow, yes. Rain, no. Sun, yes. Moderate climate. College town but in a somewhat red state. Seems perfect for you.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
If you hate rain and all the negatives that go with it like flowers, trees, and life, you have plenty of options. The desert southwest is entering a mega drought that is expeected to last several decades. The forests in the mountains are alreading dying and even cacti are shriveling up.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:26 PM

92 posts, read 92,185 times
Chicago! Maybe not the most moderate weather(but you get all four seasons), an all around liberal atmosphere in most neighborhoods that doesn't get to portlandia levels, rent that is a bargain compared to other cities of its caliber, and there's a lot of greenery along the lake and the boulevard system.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:41 PM

79 posts, read 133,622 times
If you don't mind the cold try Denver or Pittsburgh. If you don't mind living in a southern city Austin, Nashville or Atlanta. All cities are in the south but aren't really conservative, Austin is known for being the blue part of a red state, Nashville and Atlanta seem to be increasingly liberal. Just keep in mind that once you get into the suburbs of any of those 3 cities it's a different stories.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:42 PM

79 posts, read 133,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you hate rain and all the negatives that go with it like flowers, trees, and life, you have plenty of options. The desert southwest is entering a mega drought that is expeected to last several decades. The forests in the mountains are alreading dying and even cacti are shriveling up.
I hope that isn't true, Northern Arizona is one of the most beautiful areas in the entire country.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:23 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Santa Fe and Taos, New Mexico

Tons of sun, big mountains nearby.

Low rainfall.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:22 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
New England may be a place you like. Politically it is as liberal as Portland or Seattle but culturally it is more conservative and conventional. It also is lush and green without the never ending drizzle and gloom of a northwestern winter. The coastal areas have relatively moderate climates and don't get too hot in the summer. The negative is that it won't be cheaper.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:20 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
New England may be a place you like. Politically it is as liberal as Portland or Seattle but culturally it is more conservative and conventional. It also is lush and green without the never ending drizzle and gloom of a northwestern winter. The coastal areas have relatively moderate climates and don't get too hot in the summer. The negative is that it won't be cheaper.
A lot of New England outside the Connecticut suburbs of NYC and Boston and its immediate environs would be cheaper. Maybe try Providence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.