Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2016, 12:54 AM

50 posts, read 73,727 times

Advertisements

I want to relocate from Charlotte NC to the one of these midwestern states (don't ask why, i just want to move out of South completely), i think somewhere to the small town because of the lower cost of living. I do realize that small towns usually have lack of jobs, but i hope that it comes more for the professional jobs and since i am going to work at entry-level / low paying jobs then i will be able to find it even in the small town. Or, may be it will be better to choose some suburbs close enough to the big cities. So i need your advice, guys.

The requirements in the descending priority's order are:

1) Predominantly white population, low crime and low unemployment rate.

2) Low cost of living and housing. I need to rent some studio or 1br apartment for at most 600$ per month because right now I can work only at low-paying jobs like for 11$/hr (i hope not less than that). I was even thinking to rent some trailer house but i heard that the trailer parks are basically white ghettos with high crime and drugs.

3) Not too humid and hot summer and not too much snow at winter. I heard that Iowa has too much snow at winters... I am not afraid of cold but i do afraid of the icy and snowy roads and that i will get stuck in my car or will have the car accident. So ideal will be something around 80 in summers and not too much snow in winters. I can tolerate the frost without problem but i don't want to get in car crash because i don't have experience of winter driving. Anyway, the absence of humid heat is much more desirable than the absence of the big snow. So if i have to choose i would definitely take the snow over the heat and just spend some money for the winter tires and will drive very carefully. Ok i think you got my point.

4) At least one community college with IT program so i can continue my education.

5) Friendly people towards foreigners and normal dating opportunities for single guys in middle 30s. I heard that Idaho (Boise) is a very bad place for single men because there are much less women then men and they are married. Anyway, this section is not very important (since i am in struggle), it is just desirable. I realize that in small towns people generally are more narrow minded and don't like the newcomers (not to mention foreigners). I don't need any night clubs or any other elements of the "social" life like bars, because i do not attend these places anyway. I just want a normal quite decent town with normal white people who are not too old and also where is a normal proportion of men and women (not like in Boise).

That is it, i think. Thank you.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:54 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
I want to relocate from Charlotte NC to the one of these midwestern states
First off, Wyoming and Idaho are not Midwestern states.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
OP, what you are looking for does not exist in any of these states.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:14 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
Check out Appleton, Wisconsin and Lincoln, Nebraska. Weather-wise might not be perfect for you (it gets snow and ice but Appleton summers should be perfect) but the other criteria should match well.

Last edited by PCALMike; 10-18-2016 at 04:28 AM..

Old 10-18-2016, 07:53 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Some of you expectations do not align well with each other. Low cost of living and small town typically does not equal educational and dating opportunities.

Info on Boise is also not in touch. Demographically they have more women than men, 51/49 split. They also have a large university with Boise State.

Any of the states you listed have snow.

Entire state population of Wyoming is comparable to just the city of Boise. Not sure why you would want to consider it with your other requirements.

Iowa and Nebraska are low enough in elevation that have pretty high humidity with means hotter highs and colder lows.

Wyoming and Idaho are Rocky Mtn States which means higher altitude, more variable weather, dryer climate and a broader range of the possibility of snow. Also more intense sun exposure, and possibly wildly varied driving conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.