U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 PM

400 posts, read 270,294 times

Advertisements

Columbus is probably not top 30. St Louis and KC are larger urban area population (2.15 m and 1.52 m, respectively) vs Columbus at 1.37 m. Both have larger GDPs, much larger airports by passenger traffic volume, KC is on a major rail line, Stl on the Mississippi River. Both have 2 major sports teams, Columbus has 1 (not a criteria in my op). Columbus has OSU (also not a criteria) and is a state capital, but just really does not surpass either Stl or Cle. Although you might make a case it could challenge KC for 30th (or Cincinnati at 30th if VA Beach is removed, everyone shifted up and Cincinnati is 30th). I'm just not sure all 3 Ohio cities can make top 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 07:09 PM

890 posts, read 905,337 times
What's the qualification for a top 30 important city? Becuse I can't imagine Austin not being more important then quite a few on that list.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:16 PM

Austin is not a top 30 because it's urban area is still too small (only Charlotte NC is slightly smaller almost tied). Austin's GDP is smaller than everyone on the list except for San Antonio which is close and Sacramento (almost tied). Austin airport is decent sized and larger than some on the list. It is a state capital. Idk man maybe it would be on the list. It's not a bad choice. I just think it misses it by a hair. It is a strong runner up.

Where exactly do you think Austin belongs on the list?

Old 10-16-2016, 02:34 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,249,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Considering urban area population, metro GDP, proximity to other large urban areas, government presence, military presence, transportation (airport, seaport, rail, trucking), and tourism draw (weakest factor), is this the correct current list of most important cities meaning if they were to disappear a la Independence Day movie explosion this would be the worst)? Just wondering because it is important for us to realize which cities are most important for national security reasons and also because it is interesting to compare/contrast the above factors. Ok, here's my best guess, please let me know if you disagree and why, and how you would change it:

1. New York, NY-NJ-CT
2. Washington, DC-VA-MD
3. Los Angeles, CA
4. Chicago, IL-IN
5. Houston, TX
6. Dallas, TX
7. San Francisco-San Jose, CA
8. Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD
9. Atlanta, GA
10. Miami, FL
11. Boston, MA-NH-RI
12. Seattle, WA
13. Detroit, MI
14. Pheonix, AZ
15. San Diego, CA
16. Minneapolis, MN-WI
17. Baltimore, MD
18. San Antonio, TX
19. Denver, CO
20. Virginia Beach, VA
21. Riverside-San Bernardino, CA
22. St. Louis, MO-IL
23. Charlotte, NC-SC
24. Pittsburgh, PA
25. Cleveland, OH
26. Portland, OR-WA
27. Las Vegas, NV
28. Orlando, FL
29. Sacramento, CA
30. Kansas City, MO-KS

These are the major cities of the USA (the Dow 30). Runner ups are Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Nashville, Tampa, and Indianapolis only.
I mostly agree with your list, but I don't really think ranking matters past 15. I would rank the Bay Area above the two Texas Cities, though, and possibly move Boston up to around Philadelphia.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,697,250 times
Denver is definitely ahead of baltimore and san antonio!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2016, 03:35 PM

Yeah I felt weird putting Denver that low. My reasoning was that it is one of the most isolated major cities geographically. Whereas San Antonio and VA Beach were ranked higher than normal for their large military presence. Denver urban area population is only slightly larger than Baltimore and definitely larger than SA. Denver also has a very major airport. Denver metro GDP is a bit larger than Baltimore, and over 50% larger than SA. Denver is a state capital. So like I said it's really subjective, but I could put Denver above SA. Baltimore is just too close in proximity to other urban areas with I95 so it's harder to make a case against it.

Originally I listed SFSJ at fifth. I guess it can be fifth. I'd it's really subjective too. The hardest thing is that for some reason I've never understood, SF and SJ are technically separate urban areas, separate metros for GDP. So if we are definitely including SJ in the Bay Area then yes I could see that. I really don't understand why these two are seen as separate entities when they are completely and totally connected by continuous and substantial development in between them. They also would seem economically codependent. So that was my reasoning. SFSJ technically has 3 airports, which added up are huge. Metro GDP 2014 is $624 Billion for both SF and SJ, which is larger than Houston's $525 Billion and Dallas-Ft. Worth at $504 Billion. Another thing, it feels weird having two California cities in the top 5. I think Houston and Dallas probably lead SFSJ by urban area population slightly in 2015. Like I said I'm not completely opposed to having SFSJ at fifth place though.

I'm going to modify the list in a few more days after I hear everyone's feedback.

Last edited by g500; 10-16-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-16-2016, 04:04 PM

4,479 posts, read 2,661,399 times
They're two parts of the same city. It's only a Census dept. technicality about the width of that developed area, which wasn't written for the linear city model. And of course the separation point is a county line per the rules...nothing but a happenstance of local administration.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:54 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,122,697 times
D.C
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
San Francisco

Old 10-16-2016, 06:36 PM

44,675 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Don't see Austin Texas
Or Fort Worth.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:15 PM

594 posts, read 486,205 times
Phoenix should definitely be top 5 at worst.
Numbers don't lie.
You can't deny the growth, economy , growing international presence.
Soon to be 5th largest city in the most powerful country on planet earth.
And still growing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or