U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 PM

401 posts, read 273,104 times

Advertisements

Murk, great response. I agree. VA Beach is one urban area I suppose, yes. I guess it really isn't a top 30 unless you make military a big factor. I had both Tampa and Cincy in my runner ups, but they do belong in the top 30. Sacramento is really sprawled versus Austin which has a bigger city profile. If you consider future prospects a criteria (not part of my op, but not a bad idea to include) I think Austin makes the cut, Indy and Columbus do not. Literally the only reason SA makes it is because of its massive military presence. DC is massively overshadowed by LA-IE, but is it fair to give LA the IE and not give DC Baltimore? Again it's a grey area (they are technically all separate urban areas as is SF and SJ). So idk if it's fair not to give DC Baltimore. Ill stick with Philadelphia just ahead of Boston. But Boston needs to move up too. Yes, margins are razor thin, it's really a combo of all the big factors - population urban area, metro gdp, military and govt presence, proximity to other urban areas, and other factors. I think Philadelphia takes Boston since it also has (arguably) the third or fourth best skyline in the US (nyc, Chicago, tied with Miami). So this list is really subjective to a good degree. But if anything, we have identified and compared the most important cities. I wonder what this list will look like in 20 plus years. I am thinking SLC, OKC, Nashville and or Raleigh make it by then? Anyone's guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 PM

1,078 posts, read 963,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Murk, great response. I agree. VA Beach is one urban area I suppose, yes. I guess it really isn't a top 30 unless you make military a big factor. I had both Tampa and Cincy in my runner ups, but they do belong in the top 30. Sacramento is really sprawled versus Austin which has a bigger city profile. If you consider future prospects a criteria (not part of my op, but not a bad idea to include) I think Austin makes the cut, Indy and Columbus do not. Literally the only reason SA makes it is because of its massive military presence. DC is massively overshadowed by LA-IE, but is it fair to give LA the IE and not give DC Baltimore? Again it's a grey area (they are technically all separate urban areas as is SF and SJ). So idk if it's fair not to give DC Baltimore. Ill stick with Philadelphia just ahead of Boston. But Boston needs to move up too. Yes, margins are razor thin, it's really a combo of all the big factors - population urban area, metro gdp, military and govt presence, proximity to other urban areas, and other factors. I think Philadelphia takes Boston since it also has (arguably) the third or fourth best skyline in the US (nyc, Chicago, tied with Miami). So this list is really subjective to a good degree. But if anything, we have identified and compared the most important cities. I wonder what this list will look like in 20 plus years. I am thinking SLC, OKC, Nashville and or Raleigh make it by then? Anyone's guess.
People on CD really do not realize how intertwined/contiguous the LA/OC/IE is, there's no breaks in development, seamless, and connected this whole area is. The same way SF/SJ gets a pass so should LA, probably the only 2 CSA's In the country that are much more in line with a MSA then a CSA.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:48 AM

7,744 posts, read 4,584,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
People on CD really do not realize how intertwined/contiguous the LA/OC/IE is, there's no breaks in development, seamless, and connected this whole area is. The same way SF/SJ gets a pass so should LA, probably the only 2 CSA's In the country that are much more in line with a MSA then a CSA.
Because not ALL of the IE is realistically part of LA's metro. The IE is an absurdly large MSA at 27k square miles. Go to Victorville and tell me you're in metro LA.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:10 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,257,760 times
I don't know anything about California's constitution, but why don't the state just break apart some of the larger counties? Probably then, the parts of the IE intertwined with Los Angeles will be included in its metro.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:53 PM

59 posts, read 55,481 times
I'd rate the top 5 this way, don't have the time to detail it now. All are important and others, too.

NYC
D.C.
LA
SF
CHI

Old 10-18-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Because not ALL of the IE is realistically part of LA's metro. The IE is an absurdly large MSA at 27k square miles. Go to Victorville and tell me you're in metro LA.
Are you really that dense? Go look at a map, 90% of the population of the IE is in the south/southwest corner, Los Angeles CSA gets to 17.2 million people just shy of 3000 sq miles that's just around the same square mileage Chicago has to get to 9.5 million.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:43 PM

7,744 posts, read 4,584,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Are you really that dense? Go look at a map, 90% of the population of the IE is in the south/southwest corner, Los Angeles CSA gets to 17.2 million people just shy of 3000 sq miles that's just around the same square mileage Chicago has to get to 9.5 million.
So you had to resort to an ad hominem, and your only retort is a fact that you haven't substantiated? I couldn't tell you where the majority of the inland Empire is population lives, but neither Riverside and North San Bernardino are in the south or south western corners of the I.E.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
So you had to resort to an ad hominem, and your only retort is a fact that you haven't substantiated? I couldn't tell you where the majority of the inland Empire is population lives, but neither Riverside and North San Bernardino are in the south or south western corners of the I.E.
I have no idea why I wasn't able to attach the image, anyways let me educate you a bit outsider about the LA MSA/CSA, the area that is highlighted has approximately 17.2 million inhabitants in just under 3k sq miles, around the same amount of land the Chicago MSA uses to get to 9.2 million.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/41753436-post2.html

Last edited by Calisonn; 10-18-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-18-2016, 04:43 PM

183 posts, read 237,846 times
I understand everyone hates Cleveland but I don't understand how Cleveland/akron isn't being listed when it's arguably the most important region in Ohio

Old 10-18-2016, 05:46 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,127,363 times
Overall New York & Los Angeles are the most important and have the biggest economy in America.

I think most important can also break down from the state a city is in.So places like Texas & Florida come to into play on a bigger level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or