U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 AM

2,151 posts, read 2,660,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Atlanta and Miami are more important than Boston and Seattle!? Yikes.

While MSA size is important, output, tourism, education are just as important. For that reason, mine would probably look like this:

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington DC
5. San Francisco
6. Dallas
7. Boston
8. Houston
9. Seattle
10. Philadelphia

Atlanta
Minneapolis
San Jose
Detroit
Miami

This is pretty accurate but Boston needs to be above Dallas and Dallas should drop...

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington DC
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Dallas
10. Atlanta
11. Seattle

I would consider San Jose to be part of the Metro San Francisco area for this exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 09:58 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,100,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
This is pretty accurate but Boston needs to be above Dallas and Dallas should drop...

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington DC
5. San Francisco
6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia
9. Dallas
10. Atlanta
11. Seattle

I would consider San Jose to be part of the Metro San Francisco area for this exercise.
I think Atlanta is certainly important on a national scale, but do you think it's more important than Seattle? To me, the only area in which it's stronger on paper is simply MSA size and Forbes 500 HQs.

And for San Jose, I considered not adding it simply because I didn't want The Topper to see it. But, being that it's a city of ~1M, it certainly could stand alone from San Fran in the context of this thread. I suppose I could go either way.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 AM

10,674 posts, read 8,182,570 times
Quote:
I think Atlanta is certainly important on a national scale, but do you think it's more important than Seattle? To me, the only area in which it's stronger on paper is simply MSA size and Forbes 500 HQs.

And for San Jose, I considered not adding it simply because I didn't want The Topper to see it. But, being that it's a city of ~1M, it certainly could stand alone from San Fran in the context of this thread. I suppose I could go either way.
San Jose bring all new technology and innovation to America and the world

Old 05-22-2018, 10:27 AM

1,040 posts, read 519,803 times
I tend to think of regional importance as some combination of cultural factors, economic factors, and international influence. Is your area culturally relevant? Does it punch above its weight economically? And does it have exposure and project influence to not only US markets and governments, but world markets and governments?

Looking at it that way, I'd rank them like this:

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. San Francisco
4. Washington
5. Chicago
6. Houston
7. Miami
8. Boston
9. Seattle
10. Dallas-Ft. Worth

The honorable mentions here would be Atlanta and Philadelphia. Definitely arguably in the top 10, but their weaker levels of international influence compared to some of their peers pushes them down a bit in my eyes.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 AM

10,674 posts, read 8,182,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I tend to think of regional importance as some combination of cultural factors, economic factors, and international influence. Is your area culturally relevant? Does it punch above its weight economically? And does it have exposure and project influence to not only US markets and governments, but world markets and governments?

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. San Francisco
4. Washington
5. Chicago
6. Houston
7. Miami
8. Boston
9. Seattle
10. Dallas-Ft. Worth

The honorable mentions here would be Atlanta and Philadelphia. Definitely arguably in the top 10, but their weaker levels of international influence compared to some of their peers pushes them down a bit in my eyes.
60% of country GDP

Old 05-22-2018, 10:37 AM

7,592 posts, read 9,444,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. San Francisco
4. Washington
5. Chicago
6. Houston
7. Miami
8. Boston
9. Seattle
10. Dallas-Ft. Worth

Actually, fairly good, but with one glaring mistake, IMHO...

Miami should be last.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:42 AM

399 posts, read 270,294 times
Well I appreciate everyone's responses, but the main reason I revived this old thread was that I have been wanting to do a list of the world's top 10 or 20 most influential cities on the world forum, and I just feel like my original original list was just so ridiculous that it would contradict a world list.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:35 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,796,503 times
Quote:

Jealous?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Jealous?
Of a city that can't even beat Boise on a vs. poll?

Nope!

Old 05-22-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Actually, fairly good, but with one glaring mistake, IMHO...

Miami should be last.
Yeah, I'd agree.. In fact, I wouldn't have it on the list. I think there's an inflated sense of worth about Miami coming from the corners of this thread. It's an MSA of 5 Mil, with the same GDP as Seattle. I'm not a huge fan of the city overall to be honest. I do understand that there is some international appeal though, and do appreciate the Latin American influence and culture.

And, IMO, DFW is more important/influential than Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or