U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:00 PM

12,688 posts, read 8,753,261 times

Advertisements

I knew we had a lot of Americans who have moved here, and do know a lot of dual citizens, but I didn't know that my hometown of Vancouver had the most in the world.

Why is this?

Interesting article. So anyone who is thinking about moving, come on up! You will have company

Vancouver has the world's largest population of Americans living outside of the USA | Daily Hive Vancouver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 10:34 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,670,613 times
That's very different from your headline.

But yes, Vancouver is a great city.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's very different from your headline.

But yes, Vancouver is a great city.
Ya, I shouldn't of used most. Largest group, might have been better.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:45 AM

774 posts, read 841,779 times
I was a bit surprised to see Tel Aviv at number two due to its proximity to the Middle East along with the size of the Jewish population, though Toronto, London, and Montreal occupying the remainder of the top five doesn't seem nearly as surprising.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I was a bit surprised to see Tel Aviv at number two due to its proximity to the Middle East along with the size of the Jewish population, though Toronto, London, and Montreal occupying the remainder of the top five doesn't seem nearly as surprising.
What I'm trying to figure out is why does Vancouver have more than twice as many as Toronto?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:28 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,673,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What I'm trying to figure out is why does Vancouver have more than twice as many as Toronto?
The linked article hints that it's probably related to jobs. And that makes sense, "It suggests a large number of Americans, buoyed by the turbulent economic conditions at home, sought their northern neighbour as a place of employment as Canada, especially Vancouver, was one of the few places in the world that was relatively unscathed by the recession."

I wonder if the age of those in Washignton State also has something to do with it. I think of Seattle as a "young" city, and I'm guessing that's where many of those now in Vancouver moved from (or near there). I think a young person is more likely to make the leap to a foreign country than someone older. Just a guess.

Of course, Costa Rica is mostly because of retired people. Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:35 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,673,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Jews worldwide are eligible to move to Israel and become citizens without arduous rules (other than proving that they are Jewish). So, it's not entirely surprising that American Jews would move to Israel as a country of choice.

Québec City was a surprise to me, being that it's primarily French speaking, much more so than Montréal, where you can live fairly easily speaking only English.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The linked article hints that it's probably related to jobs. And that makes sense, "It suggests a large number of Americans, buoyed by the turbulent economic conditions at home, sought their northern neighbour as a place of employment as Canada, especially Vancouver, was one of the few places in the world that was relatively unscathed by the recession."

I wonder if the age of those in Washignton State also has something to do with it. I think of Seattle as a "young" city, and I'm guessing that's where many of those now in Vancouver moved from (or near there). I think a young person is more likely to make the leap to a foreign country than someone older. Just a guess.

Of course, Costa Rica is mostly because of retired people. Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
However people always say the job market is much better in Toronto, than in Vancouver. So not sure.

You bring up an interesting question though. I'll see if I can find a breakdown of where in the US these people are from, that is if those stats exist.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-17-2016 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-18-2016, 08:43 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
I believe that article is flawed. From Statistics Canada's last census, the numbers for Americans living in Canadian cities are about like this:

Toronto 55,000
Vancouver 32,000
Montreal 23,000
Calgary 15,000
Ottawa-Gatineau 12,500

Source: https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/...D4=0&D5=0&D6=0

Old 10-18-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe that article is flawed. From Statistics Canada's last census, the numbers for Americans living in Canadian cities are about like this:

Toronto 55,000
Vancouver 32,000
Montreal 23,000
Calgary 15,000
Ottawa-Gatineau 12,500

Source: https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/...D4=0&D5=0&D6=0
Those Statcan stats are 5 years old and was not part of the census, but a separate National Household Survey done in May of 2011. It was sent to 4.5 Canadians only, and was not mandatory, but a voluntary survey. So??

"The National Household Survey (NHS) Profile provides information collected from the 2011 National Household Survey. The National Household Survey (May 2011) was a voluntary survey in which approximately 4.5 million households received a questionnaire"

"The report by the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) estimates that Canada’s third largest urban region is home to 183,155 eligible US voters, more than any other international city outside of the United States."

I'm trying to find the methodology of how they came to these numbers. Is it the amount of requests to vote in the US election they get from outside the US, or is it some other method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or