U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is prettier?
Oregon Coast 9 50.00%
Puget Sound 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:59 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times

Advertisements

Just scenery and natural features and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 11:34 PM

3,928 posts, read 2,209,964 times
For me I think the Oregon coast is more beautiful. Don't get me wrong I think the puget sound is spectacular, but there is something about the open ocean, huge waves crashing against the cliffs and the mountains that come right down to the water. It's just a lot more rugged and wild.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
For me I think the Oregon coast is more beautiful. Don't get me wrong I think the puget sound is spectacular, but there is something about the open ocean, huge waves crashing against the cliffs and the mountains that come right down to the water. It's just a lot more rugged and wild.
Interesting, thank you for sharing. I know Washington and Oregon get compared a LOT on here but I have been reading up on the two (thinking about moving to either of these two states) and I know these are the two, err, regions that are considered the "most beautiful" in both the states. Just wanted to compare them, as I have seen threads comparing both of their coasts, but not the Oregon Coast versus the Puget Sound. I have not been to either.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:59 PM

556 posts, read 697,257 times
The Sound for a couple of reasons:

1) Real mountains are in view, and surrounding you on three sides. If you enjoy winter, you can easily drive to it, even if it doesn't come to you.
2) It's a more hospitable environment for general boating.
3) The tsunami threat is greatly reduced (though localized tsunamis in Puget Sound will still kill thousands when the Cascadia quake finally happens).
4) The weather is often a lot better - particularly in the rain shadow.
5) There's better access to transportation, major cities, highways, goods and services, etc. However, if you prefer isolation, the Olympic Peninsula has that, too.
6) Better opportunities for work. And far more of them.

Frankly, I view the California coastline as superior to Oregon's - it's a lot more diverse (villages, deep forests, thick urban sprawl, estuaries, bays, sunny beaches, pine forests, palm trees, etc.), you can swim in the ocean (in places) - it's simply better than Oregon's more uniform seaboard (and, what's more, Oregon's coast is hardly visually distinct from Washington's).

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 10-16-2016 at 12:07 AM..

Old 10-16-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
The Sound for a couple of reasons:

1) Real mountains are in view, and surrounding you on three sides. If you enjoy winter, you can easily drive to it, even if it doesn't come to you.
2) It's a more hospitable environment for general boating.
3) The tsunami threat is greatly reduced (though localized tsunamis in Puget Sound will still kill thousands when the Cascadia quake finally happens).
4) The weather is often a lot better - particularly in the rain shadow.
5) There's better access to transportation, major cities, highways, goods and services, etc.
6) Better opportunities for work. And far more of them.
What a beautiful view.

I didn't want to get into city comparisons because that's been done a million times, but I guess addressing access is fairly important. The Coast of Oregon appears somewhat isolated from the majority of the population, looks like there are few freeways to the coast in Oregon. And the Puget Sound is literally the heart of the population in Washington for the most part. Otherwise I won't address work or anything else, that has nothing to do with scenery or natural features.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:24 AM

226 posts, read 167,250 times
I can't imagine "thick urban sprawl" improving any coastline.

I can't choose. Both are spectacular in different ways.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
I can't imagine "thick urban sprawl" improving any coastline.

I can't choose. Both are spectacular in different ways.
Does the Oregon Coast sprawl? Cliffs appeared to interfere with that, but what do I know.

So far at 4-2, I'm honestly surprised Oregon Coast is leading... thought it would be the other way around

Old 10-16-2016, 01:17 AM

3,928 posts, read 2,209,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Interesting, thank you for sharing. I know Washington and Oregon get compared a LOT on here but I have been reading up on the two (thinking about moving to either of these two states) and I know these are the two, err, regions that are considered the "most beautiful" in both the states. Just wanted to compare them, as I have seen threads comparing both of their coasts, but not the Oregon Coast versus the Puget Sound. I have not been to either.
Well if I had to choose to live in one or the other, I would 100% pick puget sound. The weather is better, and more job opportunities. The coast is only good for visiting. There are some nice towns that I wouldn't mind retiring in when I get much older, but even then I think I would still pick the puget sound, particularly the San Juan islands which are technically part of the Strait of Georgia.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well if I had to choose to live in one or the other, I would 100% pick puget sound. The weather is better, and more job opportunities. The coast is only good for visiting. There are some nice towns that I wouldn't mind retiring in when I get much older, but even then I think I would still pick the puget sound, particularly the San Juan islands which are technically part of the Strait of Georgia.
This isn't about living this is about scenery and natural features and activities that come with that.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:26 AM

270 posts, read 223,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Does the Oregon Coast sprawl? Cliffs appeared to interfere with that, but what do I know.
I think the "thick urban sprawl" comment was in regard to what PrincessoftheCape said about the different landscapes on the California coast. I can't think of anywhere on the Oregon Coast that I would consider sprawl (though it's been years since I was there); it's a string of small towns that are varying degrees of charming and touristy.

I love the Oregon Coast, but didn't vote since I've never been to the Puget Sound. A friend sent me some photos of Vashon Island and it looks incredibly beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.