U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states do you consider Southwestern?
Arizona 96 96.97%
California 34 34.34%
Colorado 20 20.20%
Hawaii 1 1.01%
Kansas 1 1.01%
Nevada 47 47.47%
New Mexico 96 96.97%
Oklahoma 21 21.21%
Texas 36 36.36%
Utah 29 29.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 01:36 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,938,622 times

Advertisements

AZ and NM solidly. UT and NV mostly, but not entirely. Very SW TX, SE CA, and very west panhandle OK a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 02:09 PM

353 posts, read 511,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
I see Oklahoma as more southwest than Southeast or Midwestern.

Regions Of The Continental United States. Source: Public Domain.. Royalty Free Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 7408647.

Of course some may disagree or further want to subdivide that map by including mountain west, pacific west, pacific northwest, great lakes region, etc...

Here is a census map as well

About the Study - 2005 Traveler Opinion and Perception (TOP) Survey - FHWA

I tend to group regions as Southwest(Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona), Mountain West(Colorado, Utah, Idaho, etc.), Pacific west(California, Hawaii, Nevada), Pacific Northwest(Washington, Oregon, Alaska), midwest(Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Dakotas, Iowa, etc.), Deep south(Louisiana Mississippi, Alabama, etc.) Southeast(Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc.), and then the Northeast(New York, Maine, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, etc.)

The only states that I'm not sure to lump in a certain category are Texas, Arkansas, and Georgia.
Not sure how you lump in Oklahoma with New Mexico and especially Arizona. Arizona is much more linked to states like California, Nevada, and even Utah and Colorado than it is Oklahoma. Arizona really doesn't have any conncetion geographically or culturally to Oklahoma or even most of Texas for that matter. I would lump Oklahoma in with states like Texas and Arkansas.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:23 PM

6,850 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Not sure how you lump in Oklahoma with New Mexico and especially Arizona. Arizona is much more linked to states like California, Nevada, and even Utah and Colorado than it is Oklahoma. Arizona really doesn't have any conncetion geographically or culturally to Oklahoma or even most of Texas for that matter. I would lump Oklahoma in with states like Texas and Arkansas.
That's the whole problem with Texas and Oklahoma. They can't be "lumped". The southwestern part of Oklahoma and much of west Texas fit nicely with the southwest in some aspects. Whereas the eastern environs of both states have absolutely nothing in common with the southwest.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:06 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,107,118 times
Quote:
I would say the populated part of Oklahoma shares more in common with South Carolina than it does with neighboring New Mexico. There is little cultural connection with Arizona unless you go way back prior to the Oklahoma land runs, and even then I am not sure how strong it is.

The sparsely populated western parts of Oklahoma, especially the Panhandle, feels more Southwestern. That part of Oklahoma however was never a part of the Louisiana Purchase. Instead it was a part of the Texas annexation, which also included the eastern side of New Mexico as well as much of Colorado.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:13 PM

353 posts, read 511,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That's the whole problem with Texas and Oklahoma. They can't be "lumped". The southwestern part of Oklahoma and much of west Texas fit nicely with the southwest in some aspects. Whereas the eastern environs of both states have absolutely nothing in common with the southwest.
I would say the only part of those states that fit a classic definition of the Southwest would be El Paso. I would not include cities like Lubbock and Amarillo in the Southwest. As for Oklahoma I would consider it more a combination of the South and the Great Plains states.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:20 PM

8,965 posts, read 4,107,118 times
Quote:
I would say the only part of those states that fit a classic definition of the Southwest would be El Paso. I would not include cities like Lubbock and Amarillo in the Southwest. As for Oklahoma I would consider it more a combination of the South and the Great Plains states.
In terms of terrain, I would say Amarillo could be considered Southwestern. The landscape out there bears little resemblance to anywhere in the Old South. However, culturally it has closer ties to Oklahoma City than it does Albuquerque in almost every way, so I lean towards it being a Southern town as opposed to Southwestern.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times
Quote:
I consider US 83 the divider between east and west. As a westerner who has been all over this country, I truly think anything US 83 westward (except the Rio Grande Valley/Brownsville-McAllen), is "The West"

Old 10-24-2016, 06:24 PM

17,670 posts, read 4,066,013 times
Arizona and New Mexico/West Texas

Old 10-24-2016, 06:47 PM

345 posts, read 335,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I consider US 83 the divider between east and west. As a westerner who has been all over this country, I truly think anything US 83 westward (except the Rio Grande Valley/Brownsville-McAllen), is "The West"
I agree US 83 is the dividing line between the southern part of texas and the western. this is when you start seeing mountains, arid landscapes, brown scenery, etc (things not southern).

Old 10-24-2016, 06:55 PM

7,595 posts, read 9,448,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Arizona and New Mexico/West Texas
This is the best answer, IMHO....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or